Starting A New Job Nerves

The Peanut Gallery

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hey folks!

This may kind of seem like a weird thread but I thought I'd give it a try and see what comes of it. I start a new job tomorrow and I guess you could say I'm going through some crazy nerves right now. I'm working produce at a grocery store and I'll be honest I'm pretty freaked out for some odd reason. I've had a lot of difficulty with jobs in the past due to personal reasons and I guess I'm worried about messing up or doing something wrong. I actually did some E-Learning today on my laptop and you could say there was a massive info dump. I've had a lot floating on my mind all day about the job.

I was wondering if maybe anyone had some suggestions for starting a new job? Dealing with nerves? Helpful hints? I would really appreciate anything. I just have a lot on my mind and I thought it would help if I got this off my chest.

Thanks all! :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hey folks!

This may kind of seem like a weird thread but I thought I'd give it a try and see what comes of it. I start a new job tomorrow and I guess you could say I'm going through some crazy nerves right now. I'm working produce at a grocery store and I'll be honest I'm pretty freaked out for some odd reason. I've had a lot of difficulty with jobs in the past due to personal reasons and I guess I'm worried about messing up or doing something wrong. I actually did some E-Learning today on my laptop and you could say there was a massive info dump. I've had a lot floating on my mind all day about the job.

I was wondering if maybe anyone had some suggestions for starting a new job? Dealing with nerves? Helpful hints? I would really appreciate anything. I just have a lot on my mind and I thought it would help if I got this off my chest.

Just that you are asking for wisdom is a sign of wanting to succeed despite a few hurdles in the past. This is the type of employment that there are likely some old timers and you’re a newbie. Play it. Introducing yourself to the staff in that department admitting your new to this and asking for tips and suggestions as you learn will likely endear you to the existing staff as every person loves to be The one of knowledge. Embrace that. If you embrace them they are likely to teach you and like you vs finding fault.

Beat of luck. Sending good karma. ❤

Gingersnap

I totally agree with @Gabe1. Think of it this way. Everyone there it has been their first day as well at some point and went through the same thing as you are going through. I definitely agree that you should ask the more experienced employees in your department if you have a question. That is showing you want to learn and that is a great thing. I have been working as a 2nd Grade teacher now for several years and there are several teachers that have more experience than myself and every year I have one of those teachers as my mentor. I use that teacher to bounce questions off of a lot as well. It doesn't matter how many years I have worked at the job if I don't know the answer and think she does then why not ask. Good Luck with your job.

macefamily

It's been a few weeks, how is it going ? I've been through it recently. Lost a good job in May of '19 and didn't land a new one until August. The onboarding process at the new job was horrible. I had to ask a lot of questions, and I asked to shadow some people for a day to learn processes. As with my last three positions, my boss was in another state so it was tough to lean on him for assistance. So I just stuck it out and kept asking questions. Eventually you'll get it. Now I just started a new job in April and the systems are crazy. Again, ask questions and learn from your mistakes.

trr1

Hey folks!

how is the job going?

Last edited:

The Peanut Gallery

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
It's been a few weeks, how is it going ? I've been through it recently. Lost a good job in May of '19 and didn't land a new one until August. The onboarding process at the new job was horrible. I had to ask a lot of questions, and I asked to shadow some people for a day to learn processes. As with my last three positions, my boss was in another state so it was tough to lean on him for assistance. So I just stuck it out and kept asking questions. Eventually you'll get it. Now I just started a new job in April and the systems are crazy. Again, ask questions and learn from your mistakes.
how is the job going?

Sorry for the late reply, folks. It's been going well. I still have a lot to learn and I've made my fair share of mistakes, both small and large, but I don't feel as anxious. It's a pretty positive environment & I've managed to develop a good rapport with co-workers. Honestly though, I feel I'm probably not as fast as they'd like. I have difficulties with learning & some anxiety problems which makes it hard to keep & maintain jobs. I'm doing my absolute best given the circumstances but I can't help but wonder if they have to pick up my slack. I don't know, I'm pessimistic by nature. Just wanted to get all of this off my chest. Thank you both so much for checking in!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom