News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

BrianLo

Other parks besides HS, specifically the GE portion?,, or do you think no park at all?

I really think you are missing the concept/point entirely if you are hung up on them letting you leave. I highly doubt the doors are barred shut, but you are throwing away your money/experience to leave.

This is why it is packaged for short stay stints and will probably be the costliest place to stay on property at the entry level.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I really think you are missing the concept/point entirely if you are hung up on them letting you leave. I highly doubt the doors are barred shut, but you are throwing away your money/experience to leave.

This is why it is packaged for short stay stints and will probably be the costliest place to stay on property at the entry level.
It should be the most expensive by far if the rumored costs are true but considering it includes room, meals and entertainment it’s not as bad as it seems. I would assume it would also include access to DHS for the stories that bring you into Galaxy’s Edge.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Precisely my point. If you leave you are kind of throwing away half of what you are paying for.
I’ve come around to that line of thinking. Sometimes I’m just thick and it takes a little while to sink in;)

Honestly, I think the biggest reason people (like me originally) are/were having a hard time with this is that it’s so foreign for anything at WDW where everything is so focused on getting you into the parks, restaurants and shops. Thinking of it as a dry docked cruise ship that happens to be next to DHS helped me.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I’ve come around to that line of thinking. Sometimes I’m just thick and it takes a little while to sink in;)

Honestly, I think the biggest reason people (like me originally) are/were having a hard time with this is that it’s so foreign for anything at WDW where everything is so focused on getting you into the parks, restaurants and shops. Thinking of it as a dry docked cruise ship that happens to be next to DHS helped me.
Think of this as a two-and-a-half-day Guided Tour with special access to a premium Star Wars experience and SW:GE with role-playing and food and lodging included...

21stamps

I don’t see it happening. I definitely believe that they will tie Galaxy’s Edge into the stay. 2 or 3 nights is long enough to enjoy the resort and enjoy an excursion outside of the resort, especially a SW themed one. There would be absolutely no reason to build it in the location it is IF guests do not go to Galaxy’s Edge.

Not everyone, who wants to stay there, will want to get every lost drop of their cost per night “value” by never leaving the hotel, most will be going for the hotel + HS. That’s where the majority will find value.

If I’m wrong, then I’m wrong... but I think I’m correct.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t see it happening. I definitely believe that they will tie Galaxy’s Edge into the stay. 2 or 3 nights is long enough to enjoy the resort and enjoy an excursion outside of the resort, especially a SW themed one. There would be absolutely no reason to build it in the location it is IF guests do not go to Galaxy’s Edge.

If I’m wrong, then I’m wrong... but I think I’m correct.
You will go to Galaxy’s Edge. I think they already teased that didn’t they?

From front page:
According to a post on the official Disney Parks Blog, "This location will allow the experience to be seamlessly connected to the highly-anticipated Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, enabling guests to fully immerse themselves in the story of Star Wars."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
One option would be to let you stay for as long as you're willing to pay for, but to encourage people to stay for only a couple of days. The booking engine could automatically suggest a 5 night stay at the Boardwalk followed by a 2 night stay at the SW resort, and emphasize the ease of luggage transfer, etc. Combining the high priced SW Resort with a few nights somewhere more reasonable (by WDW standards) and marketing it as a place that can be experienced in 2 or 3 nights would reduce the number of complaints that it was too expensive.

You're presenting the SWResort as simply a resort. That's not what this is. It's a 2 (or 3) day role-playing event. The resort is just a place to stay for the event. There is a program of activities and events and story that unfolds over the course of those days. They will absolutely not allow anyone to book a reservation that doesn't start with the day an event starts and ends on the day the event ends.

Imagine a dinner show that goes from 6 - 10 PM. Your reservation, and everyone else's is from 6 - 10 PM. If you call up and say you want to arrive at 4 PM or 9 PM, they'll tell you that you can't do that. The show and the meal runs from 6 - 10 PM. And if you say, OK, but, can you leave at 7:00 PM to go catch a movie at a local theater they'll ask why are you even booking a dinner theater show if you're going to miss most of the dinner and show. But you insist: can I leave or not? Sure, they'll tell you, buy they'll still charge you full amount of $120 for the dinner and show.

21stamps

You will go to Galaxy’s Edge. I think they already teased that didn’t they?

From front page:
According to a post on the official Disney Parks Blog, "This location will allow the experience to be seamlessly connected to the highly-anticipated Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, enabling guests to fully immerse themselves in the story of Star Wars."

That’s why I keep asking, because it sounds like a few people here know more than I do.. but all of the talk about not leaving just doesn’t mesh with anything I’d think, nor with anything that Disney has said. So where are people getting that idea?

mmascari

We'll have to see how it turns out, but I'm still having a hard time seeing it as a multi day completely (mostly) stand alone experience instead of a compliment to the rest of the WDW offerings.

From a sales perspective, it's a very different thing too.

As a compliment to the rest of WDW, it's an upcharge for an additional experience, probably many hours of experiences. That's a relatively easy thing to think of. Just like people pay the upcharge for better restaurants or better hotels, or better/different activities. The sales proposition is that you're enjoying the entire WDW complex and upgrading assorted activities. Paying for a a few days to get a bunch of Star Wars stuff sounds like a good deal. Even if expensive, it could fit right in.

As a stand alone attraction that replacing the entire WDW complex (mostly), it's a very different proposition. Now, instead of providing an upcharge premium experience, it's providing a competing experience. The stand alone Star Wars experience is competing to replace the rest of the WDW complex and all of it's offerings. And, at a premium on top of that.

If I've got 7 days to vacation (more or less), the stand alone proposition is that instead of 7 days of the entire WDW complex it's replaced by 5 days of the WDW complex and 2 days of Star Wars experience. Those 2 days are a direct competition to using the rest of WDW for days 6 and 7. Even worse, the park tickets with park hopper for days 6 and 7 are about $50 (when you buy 7 days instead of 5 in total). So, it's stay at whatever resort an extra 2 nights plus practically free park access vs what we're assuming is a huge upcharge for 2 days in Star Wars.

It's possible they can sell this. Especially with the Star Wars hype, and some very through marketing. But, it feels strange to position it as competition to the rest of WDW instead of complimentary.

21stamps

I really do think that people are fantasizing a bit.. outside of a minority of the general public, most people don’t want to be locked in a hotel role playing for 48-72 hours. There’s plenty of time to do both the land/HS, and the resort.

This hotel is going to be open 365, right? There’s not enough people willing to do that to fill this hotel for a year, much less long term.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s why I keep asking, because it sounds like a few people here know more than I do.. but all of the talk about not leaving just doesn’t mesh with anything I’d think, nor with anything that Disney has said. So where are people getting that idea?
“Not leaving” is really saying not booking a 3 night stay and spending the 2nd day at AK and hopping to EPCOT for dinner and Illuminations then going back to SW Resort. It’s yet to be seen if the resort will have outdoor locations like a pool or if everything is inside the resort. You will definitely leave to go to Galaxy’s Edge.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We'll have to see how it turns out, but I'm still having a hard time seeing it as a multi day completely (mostly) stand alone experience instead of a compliment to the rest of the WDW offerings.

From a sales perspective, it's a very different thing too.

As a compliment to the rest of WDW, it's an upcharge for an additional experience, probably many hours of experiences. That's a relatively easy thing to think of. Just like people pay the upcharge for better restaurants or better hotels, or better/different activities. The sales proposition is that you're enjoying the entire WDW complex and upgrading assorted activities. Paying for a a few days to get a bunch of Star Wars stuff sounds like a good deal. Even if expensive, it could fit right in.

As a stand alone attraction that replacing the entire WDW complex (mostly), it's a very different proposition. Now, instead of providing an upcharge premium experience, it's providing a competing experience. The stand alone Star Wars experience is competing to replace the rest of the WDW complex and all of it's offerings. And, at a premium on top of that.

If I've got 7 days to vacation (more or less), the stand alone proposition is that instead of 7 days of the entire WDW complex it's replaced by 5 days of the WDW complex and 2 days of Star Wars experience. Those 2 days are a direct competition to using the rest of WDW for days 6 and 7. Even worse, the park tickets with park hopper for days 6 and 7 are about $50 (when you buy 7 days instead of 5 in total). So, it's stay at whatever resort an extra 2 nights plus practically free park access vs what we're assuming is a huge upcharge for 2 days in Star Wars.

It's possible they can sell this. Especially with the Star Wars hype, and some very through marketing. But, it feels strange to position it as competition to the rest of WDW instead of complimentary.
I hear you. I do think they are hoping that you spend 5 days at WDW and 2 at SW Resort and skip the visit to the boy wizard down the street. Think of it as a cruise. They offer cruise packages with an add on stay at WDW.

21stamps

“Not leaving” is really saying not booking a 3 night stay and spending the 2nd day at AK and hopping to EPCOT for dinner and Illuminations then going back to SW Resort. It’s yet to be seen if the resort will have outdoor locations like a pool or if everything is inside the resort. You will definitely leave to go to Galaxy’s Edge.

That’s not what a lot of the posts here have been saying, I’m just wondering if there’s something that I missed which could lead them to believe it.
Admittedly, I do not watch YouTube videos of Disney, and I don’t listen to podcasts, and I don’t follow any Disney bloggers/vloggers/cms/etc on social media.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I really do think that people are fantasizing a bit.. outside of a minority of the general public, most people don’t want to be locked in a hotel role playing for 48-72 hours. There’s plenty of time to do both the land/HS, and the resort.

This hotel is going to be open 365, right? There’s not enough people willing to do that to fill this hotel for a year, much less long term.
They seemed to be doing a lot of research into demand. I am also skeptical it will have a long term run. I think the demand will be high enough to fill the place for a year or more but 5 or 10 years, who knows.
That’s not what a lot of the posts here have been saying, I’m just wondering if there’s something that I missed which could lead them to believe it.
Admittedly, I do not watch YouTube videos of Disney, and I don’t listen to podcasts, and I don’t follow any Disney bloggers/vloggers/cms/etc on social media.
It’s all just speculation. The few people here who seem to be in the know are saying you won’t be locked in, but you also won’t be likely to spend any time not on Star Wars.

mmascari

You're presenting the SWResort as simply a resort. That's not what this is. It's a 2 (or 3) day role-playing event. The resort is just a place to stay for the event. There is a program of activities and events and story that unfolds over the course of those days. They will absolutely not allow anyone to book a reservation that doesn't start with the day an event starts and ends on the day the event ends.

If they keep the week on a strict schedule so start days are always the same, they could do 2 night, 2 night, 3 night to fill a week. Assuming they're not running just 1 story that repeats every time, but have a longer rotation with 6 or 9 or more different stories. They could offer guests 2, 3, 4, 5, or 7 night stays. There's no 6. This wouldn't be any random version of those dates. Everyone would always start on the same day. The 2 and 3 would be single story trips. A 4 would have to be 2+2 back to back, means you have to start with the first 2. Using 2+3 or 3+2 get's you 5 nights. And and entire week for 7 starting with any group. There's no 6 because there's not way to combine 2,2,3 and get 6.

I'm not sure what the "slow" days of the week, or the typical guest turn over days are to figure out which nights make a 3 grouping better. I'm sure Disney has the data to figure it out.

Or, they could all be 2 night adventures, combine as many 2 nights in a row as you want for 2, 4, 6, 8 or more nights. This creates a harder scheduling since the transition day changes every week.

21stamps

I’m so curious to see how this plays out. If people won’t want to/won’t be allowed to experience all of HS..or won’t mind not having a pool (as some have claimed).. think about how long morning to evening is... I know that it’s going to be expensive, but I still don’t see the majority of people wanting to stay indoors, even in a “spaceship”, from wake up until bedtime.

mmascari

That's what they mean though. In this context, not leaving the Start Wars Experience means staying within (probably inside the building) the hotel itself and using SWGE (and the rest of DHS). But, not using any of the other theme parks or entertainment.

A complete Start Wars experience instead of a WDW experience for a few days.

..or won’t mind not having a pool (as some have claimed)..

I'm sure there will be a pool. It's a resort space cruise after all. They must have pools even on space cruise ships.

But, that's not the same as having an outdoor pool surrounded by buildings set to a theme. Maybe under a dome showing the sun, but kind of falls apart when it rains. Maybe under a dome filled with projections of the Star Wars universe. Maybe, you'll swim as the cruise ship tries to navigate through an imperial blockade or while trying to avoid a battle in space as it all plays out projected on the dome above the pool. Or, maybe all of those things at different times during the day.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m so curious to see how this plays out. If people won’t want to/won’t be allowed to experience all of HS..or won’t mind not having a pool (as some have claimed).. think about how long morning to evening is... I know that it’s going to be expensive, but I still don’t see the majority of people wanting to stay indoors, even in a “spaceship”, from wake up until bedtime.

Well that's good, because there's no way, with the small size of the resort, a majority can even possibly experience it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If I've got 7 days to vacation (more or less), the stand alone proposition is that instead of 7 days of the entire WDW complex it's replaced by 5 days of the WDW complex and 2 days of Star Wars experience. Those 2 days are a direct competition to using the rest of WDW for days 6 and 7.

And exactly why this situation was part of the survey Disney was soliciting input about.... would you be willing to give up days or would you extend. This idea of contention is already well understood by Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom