News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

nickys

Premium Member
And I give @flynnibus full leeway because of that.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Yeah, you're well known for "giving people leeway"! Not.

You've thrown the "plans change" back in their face time and time again, and use that as grounds for disbelieving anything any of our trusted insiders say, if their info contradicts your views.

It just so happens on this occasion you hit the nail on the head.

I think this is the most important post in this thread. Disney is going to need to do a whole lot of marketing and really explain to people how this experience will work. They have a lot of work to do. I personally think because it is located at WDW many customers will assume it’s a Star Wars themed hotel at WDW instead of a permanently dry docked cruise ship. They will really need to explain the concept well which I’m sure they will. Just anecdotal evidence, but I know a number of regular WDW visitors who got very excited about the concept of a Star Wars resort and were excited over the concept art with the space windows and the look of the rooms. I don’t think any of them realized what this would ultimately be. I also continue to hold onto my opinion that this will not be for kids or families. This will appeal primarily to the adult fanboy demo. It’s a new approach for Dis year at WDW which we haven’t seen since PI closed.

Then why have kids in the concept art?

This is Disney appealing to their traditional market, as well as appealing to a whole new market.

The trick will be to keep both groups happy.

One way to do that is to have some "cruises" specifically aimed at the LARP / Comic Con fans, whilst the majority will be for families or more casual fans who are up for a 2/3 day cruise similar to a murder mystery weekend. Thee are other ways too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ships also have tons of cheap labor to offset some of those costs.

Except ship capital costs start with Billions... not millions. Ships don’t even sleep for free. Everything about a ship says burning money every second of the day... and be saving for tomorrow’s costs. Labor deltas is the least of their concerns in such a comparison. Never mind the dozens and dozens of infrastructure people necessary to operate a ship... regulation... environmental issues... fees everywhere. All compared to a fixed structure built on land you own, regulated by government you effectively own too.

We are talking about an experimental concept.... why would anyone even consider what is proabbably the highest overhead possible for such a trial?

This postulate is based entirely on the idea of “lock down” and nothing in business nor common sense. It’s seeing parallels and saying “Why not do this instead?” — not based in any reality

GoofGoof

Premium Member

You've thrown the "plans change" back in their face time and time again, and use that as grounds for disbelieving anything any of our trusted insiders say, if their info contradicts your views.

It just so happens on this occasi

This is Disney appealing to their traditional market, as well as appealing to a whole new market.

One way to do that is to have some "cruises" specifically aimed at the LARP / Comic Con fans, whilst the majority will be for families or more casual fans who are up for a 2/3 day cruise similar to a murder mystery weekend. Thee are other ways too.
Concept art can change. As @flynnibus said they were still sending out surveys about what guests would want long after the concept art came out.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I don’t see young kids being fully engaged in a multi-day role playing experience. They would be bored and they would also get in the way. Imagine a bunch of strollers clogging up the hallways. Kids might enjoy the dress up concept and also probably be good with a short term mission similar to the various games in the parks (agent P, AK stamp one, cards at MK). Kids like playing in the arcade and swimming at the pool at their resort. I’m sure Disney will allow kids and I’m sure people will bring their kids with them when this opens. That doesn’t mean it is geared towards them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Because you are talking to a group of people that have been conditioned by Disney “this is how you come to wdw”. You are talking to people who have a pre disposition on what vacationing with Disney is. And then, they get some tidbits of information, but are not seeing the whole pitch or presentation. They are not getting the whole story... so they are not making the leap. They hold onto what they know.

The cruise ship analogy holds here too. You take a wdw fan and tell they they should go on a cruise... and they say “wait, Disney without rides?? Why would I want to do that?” - because they are predisposed to what they think a Disney vacation means or should include. They haven’t gotten the full pitch and sell on the different type of experience... so they are trying to piecemeal tidbits together based on their expectations. This typically goes poorly.

But when someone is guided down a refined, slick sales pitch, you plant seeds, you nurture them, you layout what the ideal experience really is... and do it in a way that speaks to people’s desires.... then they can get out of their rut and see a different angle.

It’s no coincidence that many of the people who have been poo pooing the idea are also the types that say “well I don’t do cruise ships”.... and it’s not just because of the water ;)

TL; DR - a lot of the conflict here is simple because people haven’t seen the full pitch

We will just have to disagree on this, I don't think the majority of the average Disney guests will see the different angle.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except ship capital costs start with Billions... not millions. Ships don’t even sleep for free. Everything about a ship says burning money every second of the day... and be saving for tomorrow’s costs. Labor deltas is the least of their concerns in such a comparison. Never mind the dozens and dozens of infrastructure people necessary to operate a ship... regulation... environmental issues... fees everywhere. All compared to a fixed structure built on land you own, regulated by government you effectively own too.

We are talking about an experimental concept.... why would anyone even consider what is proabbably the highest overhead possible for such a trial?

This postulate is based entirely on the idea of “lock down” and nothing in business nor common sense. It’s seeing parallels and saying “Why not do this instead?” — not based in any reality
Why do they have any cruise ships then? Why not just build more hotels on land they own? I’m pretty sure Disney makes a ton of money on the existing cruise ships. Why would this be somehow so different?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think this is the most important post in this thread. Disney is going to need to do a whole lot of marketing and really explain to people how this experience will wor

Unfortunately it’s the same stuff that has been said for a year after this became public.... yet people keep going in circles on it.

From July of last year...
That is what it is. It's not a hotel - it's a destination in upon itself you stay in full time.

I really wish the video they had was shown online... it would really make people think differently about this. And why I have no concerns about people getting it once they see the full idea. I just hope they actually do what they pitched!

flynnibus

Premium Member
We will just have to disagree on this, I don't think the majority of the average Disney guests will see the different angle.

You don’t need a majority... and I think the 3x expansion of the Disney cruise line shows there is a market of fans that are willing to vacation different than the classic parks visit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, so getting real tired of this exchange:

Person with an idea of what this is about: It'll be like a LARP with elements X, Y, Z.​
Person who doesn't get it: I hate that Y part. It means catastrophe for persons A and B!!​
Person with an idea of what this is about: Here's what Y is all about and why it's essential and ways to make it work for persons A and B. And since it is essential for the LARP experience, then maybe this experience isn't for persons A and B.​
Person who doesn't get it: But nothing has been finalized so you don't know what you're talking about!!​

If you don't think anyone knows what they're talking about, then why the heck are you arguing with them in the first place?

Fine, no one knows what they're talking about and nothing definitive has been announced. So... just go away until it is announced and stop picking fights over things which you don't believe in.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why do they have any cruise ships then? Why not just build more hotels on land they own? I’m pretty sure Disney makes a ton of money on the existing cruise ships. Why would this be somehow so different?

Because cruise ships offer different things than stationary hotels? You postulate “why not use a cruise ship, but then not use anything the cruise ship adds over any other cheaper method to do the same thing”.

Yes, you can fuel your fireplace with $100 bills - but I don’t recommend it when I have piles of wood right here.

Ships offset their costs by offering things your alternative does not. If you ignore those benefits, it’s just wasted expense

flynnibus

Premium Member

Person with an idea of what this is about: It'll be like a LARP with elements X, Y, Z.​
Person who doesn't get it: I hate that Y part. It means catastrophe for persons A and B!!​
Person with an idea of what this is about: Here's what Y is all about and why it's essential and ways to make it work for persons A and B. And since it is essential for the LARP experience, then maybe this experience isn't for persons A and B.​
Person who doesn't get it: But nothing has been finalized so you don't know what you're talking about!!​

If you don't think anyone knows what they're talking about, then why the heck are you arguing with them in the first place?

Fine, no one knows what they're talking about and nothing definitive has been announced. So... just go away until it is announced and stop picking fights over things which you don't believe in.

Exactly... this thread could just redirect to the first ten pages and it’s the same stuff. At least now we know they anchored the location.... and we have aerials which will show us just how big they will make it. That’s exciting:)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately it’s the same stuff that has been said for a year after this became public.... yet people keep going in circles on it.

From July of last year...

I really wish the video they had was shown online... it would really make people think differently about this. And why I have no concerns about people getting it once they see the full idea. I just hope they actually do what they pitched!
To be fair a lot of “stuff” has been said and it’s not easy to separate out what is someone’s opinion and what is inside info. I have tried to clarify on any of my posts about what I think would work that it’s just my opinion and not based on inside info. I haven’t seen anything official from Disney outside of the concept art and basic statements. I haven’t seen a video. I have no reason to not believe what you are saying about the pitch and the video. As I said before that is going to be a very important step in the marketing since this will be something very different than anything Disney currently has at WDW.

I may come off as poo pooing this project, but I’m really not down on it. I think it’s refreshing to see Disney tap into a different demo group and try something outside the box. Based on past history I am skeptical that Disney will actually stick to the plan you have laid out, but hopefully I’m proven wrong.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Last time I checked this was a discussion board. Some people love this idea, some people hate it and most of us are still trying to figure out what it will actually be to try to form an opinion. Is there a problem with people talking about what aspects they think will and won’t work? I haven’t seen this marketing video or all the firm insider details that you guys are talking about but I’d like to if you want to share:)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It just so happens on this occasion you hit the nail on the head.

That has been proven incorrect time and again...I go with my gut and sometimes that doesn’t make me correct. But I always read and consider...i don’t dismiss unless it doesn’t seem to make sense based on operation, business, or pattern.

As far as “plans change” goes...I know that the Corporate agenda often changes...and that imagineering doesn’t get what they want and they feel betrayed.
Not new concepts in “the company”

I don’t fault marni, Flynn, feather, etc for that...they are trusting what seems to be trustworthy. But there are no guarantees. That’s my “pcq”

The keyboard rambos that take what they say and get defensive/indignant are a different story. Pipe down, children. You know NOTHING, jon snow

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you look closely.. you'll notice I don't say "plans may change" as some caveat - I only say what they pitched. I'm not part of the project or something. What they ultimately decided on I don't know.. and clearly what they decide today doesn't guarantee the future. But what I do know with authority is what they pitched and were soliciting at the time. I don't extrapolate that to mean I know the future, hence the boundaries on my statements when I cite something.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you look closely.. you'll notice I don't say "plans may change" as some caveat - I only say what they pitched. I'm not part of the project or something. What they ultimately decided on I don't know.. and clearly what they decide today doesn't guarantee the future. But what I do know with authority is what they pitched and were soliciting at the time. I don't extrapolate that to mean I know the future, hence the boundaries on my statements when I cite something.

Completely reasonable...it’s not when a coattails poster takes what you have heard and swings it like a baseball bat.

There are no guarantees...plans do change...but discussion helps the mind.

Lensman

My skeptical take is they are hedging their bets. If this concept is not as successful as they hoped for it will be very easy to convert this “resort” into a more traditional WDW hotel with views and direct access into the most popular land.
I do wonder how easily be able to convert this boutique 300 room LARP with no windows and no AC into a traditional hotel. I suppose they could Plan B it into a semi-immersive hotel and keep the screens vs the windows.

We can keep repeating this idea that it's more like a cruise ship then a hotel, but in the end if people here are having a hard time with that idea, so will the guests. Cruise ships are an isolated experience both by design and for practical reasons. It's going to be much harder to sell the idea of going to a resort in the middle of one of the worlds most popular tourist destinations and telling people you can't visit 95% of the destination while you are there. Maybe they can get it to work, but I personally feel it's going to be a hard sell.
I think it's neither. As some people keep saying, it's a fully immersive experience. I'd be interested in other fully immersive experiences that people know of. Dude ranches are the only ones I know of but there must be more. I seem to recall an episode of Midsomer Murders that takes place at a Jane Austen historical immersion weekend...

Ships also have tons of cheap labor to offset some of those costs.

When I said moving it from port to port I meant where it starts and ends not visiting multiple ports. There would be no reason to stop mid-cruise if you can’t get off and since these would be short cruises they would likely be a cruise to nowhere that starts and stops at the same port. I meant they could offer 3 day cruises out of Miami then next month move to Galveston, then next move to Baltimore, then Bayonne NJ then go to the west coast and if desired even move to Europe or Asia. This way you make it more convenient for guests to get to. If it took off they could have multiple ships.
In order be foreign flagged and thus not to have to hire U.S. employees, cruise ships have to stop at a foreign port. This is due to the Jones Act.

Here's how cruise ships make money. Note, you can stop watching after you get to the sneaky ad at the end.
https://jalopnik.com/the-intricate-economics-of-massive-cruise-ships-is-fasc-1825051121

nickys

Premium Member
I think it's neither. As some people keep saying, it's a fully immersive experience. I'd be interested in other fully immersive experiences that people know of. Dude ranches are the only ones I know of but there must be more. I seem to recall an episode of Midsomer Murders that takes place at a Jane Austen historical immersion weekend...

Ha ha! Just been watching that ....

I have done murder mystery weekends. Well, one of them. Kind of like the dinners they do/did on the IG somewhere, but lasting for 2 nights.

They're fun, but take place in an ordinary hotel. And the "action" took place at certain times. In between, you were free to play detective and seek out the cast to interrogate them. There were down times too, where the cast were off duty. And you could do as much or as little in between the "scenes" as you liked. Some people just really turned up at the pre-scheduled times, to watch the story unfold.

My friends and I kind of mixed and matched. We'd go and interview our suspects immediately after, then go to the pool or spa for a while before the next bit.

What would be different with this SW resort is that presumably the guests would also be playing roles in it all. So what happens if Brad gets given a message to pass to the rebel spies, and Brad then decides he'd rather have a few beers and chat to some new-found friends? Or if Carol passes the secret document to the wrong people? Or a group of guests manage to blast the incoming general's escape pod to smithereens, instead of the enemy fighters?

If the story arc depends on the actions of participating guests, then you have a potential problem. Or do their actions not really matter because it's all pre-determined?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom