News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think there’s still a good chance for that. It’s all about how they load/unload the shuttle bus. The other methods would IMHO be more seamless, but that’s the most practical way to make it cost effective and still be justified as seamless.

But they are selling it as having “seamless access to SW:GE”. I agree that it won’t make or break the experience but they shouldn’t sell it as that without actual seamless access.

"seamless" is a word being thrown around by Disney marketing, so it's meaning is really open to interpretation.

Incomudro

"seamless" is a word being thrown around by Disney marketing, so it's meaning is really open to interpretation.

While I agree that Disney throws many terms around that can be interpreted very loosely.
In the case of a Star Wars immersively themed hotel - mating up with a Star Wars land - I take the word seamless more literally.
Whether that means a hallway, tram or whatnot - I can't say.
But I take it hotel guests will not be stepping out into an unthemed back of building and walkingpast waste bins.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Catch-22 -- if it isn't immersive from the start, it will never, so to speak, "take off."

They could take a CBR room and put star wars sheets in it and sell it out as a SW Hotel room. Demand is not going to be an issue here.. only justifying the price point.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But they are selling it as having “seamless access to SW:GE”. I agree that it won’t make or break the experience but they shouldn’t sell it as that without actual seamless access.

'access' is not the word being used. 'seemlessly integrated' is what has been used or 'seemlessly connected'

And people are reading into that what they want... vs listening to what Disney has actually conveyed about the experience.

Seemlessly connected could simply mean your itinerary is elegantly integrated between the two sites.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Simple way to do this.... just have a part in the "story" where a bounty hunter catches you, cuffs you, and puts a hood over your head to take you down to Batuu to collect their reward... meanwhile... after you're hooded, they're simply loading you onto a golf cart, driving through backstage areas, and dumping you off into the theme park... easy-peasy.... ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
'access' is not the word being used. 'seemlessly integrated' is what has been used or 'seemlessly connected'

And people are reading into that what they want... vs listening to what Disney has actually conveyed about the experience.

Seemlessly connected could simply mean your itinerary is elegantly integrated between the two sites.
The exact quote from the Disney Park Blog:
“...it will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing guests a total Star Wars experience.”

I don’t see how thinking that this means there will be a direct, physical connection to the park is reading into it and hearing what they want. Between these quotes and the physical location of the resort it seems more than likely the two will be connected somehow. The only mystery is how.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The exact quote from the Disney Park Blog:
“...it will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing guests a total Star Wars experience.”

Which is exactly what I wrote... and not what you wrote - "seamless access to SWGE".

I don’t see how thinking that this means there will be a direct, physical connection to the park is reading into it and hearing what they want

Because you've already made up your mind - not because the wording is definitive. "connected" does not demand "freedom of movement" nor frequency nor even "freedom of choice" in how the two are connected. It means the two **experiences** will be connected. That is as vague as it gets.

What we do know is what they pitched... and we know the permits for the site. Both suggest a physically disconnected environment. But we know Disney wants to connect the guest's experiences... so expect things like story lines, carry over of experience, continuity in timelines and itineraries.

Could it break down into simple 'shuttling back and forth as desired'... maybe. But the statements made to date do not make that the only outcome.

po1998

Was there ever a timeline released for this project? I am starting to wonder if TDO is having second thoughts about this being built as previously advertised, and are now trying to figure out a way to scale it back, but still charge $$$$ per night.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which is exactly what I wrote... and not what you wrote - "seamless access to SWGE".

Because you've already made up your mind - not because the wording is definitive. "connected" does not demand "freedom of movement" nor frequency nor even "freedom of choice" in how the two are connected. It means the two **experiences** will be connected. That is as vague as it gets.

What we do know is what they pitched... and we know the permits for the site. Both suggest a physically disconnected environment. But we know Disney wants to connect the guest's experiences... so expect things like story lines, carry over of experience, continuity in timelines and itineraries.

Could it break down into simple 'shuttling back and forth as desired'... maybe. But the statements made to date do not make that the only outcome.
You may be right. Disney has gone out of its way to highlight the physical connection between the 2 sites. Maybe plans have changed but it sure seems like when they said connected it didn’t just mean story lines or theme.

Full quote from Disney Parks Blog when they announced the location:

“Last summer, plans for a Star Wars-inspired destination at Walt Disney World Resort were unveiled at the D23 Expo.

Today we are happy to share the location of this exciting addition, which is currently under development on the south side of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, just east of World Drive. This location will allow the experience to be seamlessly connected to the highly-anticipated Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, enabling guests to fully immerse themselves in the story of Star Wars.”

When they say the location will allow the experience to be seamlessly connected that sure seems like a physical connection to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You may be right. Disney has gone out of its way to highlight the physical connection between the 2 sites. Maybe plans have changed but it sure seems like when they said connected it didn’t just mean story lines or theme.

Full quote from Disney Parks Blog when they announced the location:

“Last summer, plans for a Star Wars-inspired destination at Walt Disney World Resort were unveiled at the D23 Expo.

Today we are happy to share the location of this exciting addition, which is currently under development on the south side of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, just east of World Drive. This location will allow the experience to be seamlessly connected to the highly-anticipated Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, enabling guests to fully immerse themselves in the story of Star Wars.”

When they say the location will allow the experience to be seamlessly connected that sure seems like a physical connection to me.

We've known from the very beginning that VISITING SW:GE was part of the offer being pitched. Keep that in your mind, and read the paragraph again. The location at WDW and DHS makes that easy to do. Maybe it suggests more, maybe it doesn't. But it doesn't confirm anything, nor do I think it is inferring anything more.

When you point out something's location in marketing.. your job is to promote positive reasons for that location.

What the take-away from this is... Disney hasn't suggested anything conclusively and we don't know the final product offer yet. Hopefully in the next 6-8months we will.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We've known from the very beginning that VISITING SW:GE was part of the offer being pitched. Keep that in your mind, and read the paragraph again. The location at WDW and DHS makes that easy to do. Maybe it suggests more, maybe it doesn't. But it doesn't confirm anything, nor do I think it is inferring anything more.

When you point out something's location in marketing.. your job is to promote positive reasons for that location.

What the take-away from this is... Disney hasn't suggested anything conclusively and we don't know the final product offer yet. Hopefully in the next 6-8months we will.
So visiting SW:GE is definitley a part of the experience. We 100% agree on that.

In my opinion there’s not really a “seamless connection” and there’s definitely a big break in immersion if you have to board a Disney bus at the SW resort, drive through a parking lot, get off at the front gate, walk down Hollywood Blvd, pass the Chinese theater and finally cut through Andy’s backyard before arriving back in the Star Wars Universe. I’m not saying that won’t be what the final product ends up being for sure, but it would be an odd choice for what they are attempting to achieve.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So visiting SW:GE is definitley a part of the experience. We 100% agree on that.

As I've been telling you and others for year(s?)? The idea that SW:GE was *part* of your resort visit was part of the initial pitch. But there it was pitched like 'spend your last day at the theme park'. Not a 'move back and forth throughout your stay' scenario. Don't use that one confirmation to mean something beyond that. We know the experience is to include both the resort and the park - That doesn't tell you anything but that. That's the only firm thing we know.. what they end up with is not common knowledge.

In my opinion there’s not really a “seamless connection” and there’s definitely a big break in immersion if you have to board a Disney bus at the SW resort[...]

And as countless people have said... that's not the only possibility.

You keep single tracking with your one idea of how things can be, debunk it, and then use that to justify another answer as the only one. Step back and understand you haven't grasped all the choices.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As I've been telling you and others for year(s?)? The idea that SW:GE was *part* of your resort visit was part of the initial pitch. But there it was pitched like 'spend your last day at the theme park'. Not a 'move back and forth throughout your stay' scenario. Don't use that one confirmation to mean something beyond that. We know the experience is to include both the resort and the park - That doesn't tell you anything but that. That's the only firm thing we know.. what they end up with is not common knowledge.
We can agree to disagree on this. No point going around in circles. I still think everything said publicly points to SW:GE being part of the resort experience not just something you do after. I understand you have a different take on it.

And as countless people have said... that's not the only possibility.

You keep single tracking with your one idea of how things can be, debunk it, and then use that to justify another answer as the only one. Step back and understand you haven't grasped all the choices.
What are all the other choices? So far we have been talking about various different connections between the park and the resort: a bus to the front gate, a private back gate connected by: an outdoor walkway, an elevated indoor walkway, a tram or Peoplemover system and a highly themed shuttle. What’s missing?

TiggerDad

We can agree to disagree on this. No point going around in circles. I still think everything said publicly points to SW:GE being part of the resort experience not just something you do after. I understand you have a different take on it.

What are all the other choices? So far we have been talking about various different connections between the park and the resort: a bus to the front gate, a private back gate connected by: an outdoor walkway, an elevated indoor walkway, a tram or Peoplemover system and a highly themed shuttle. What’s missing?
What's missing at the moment is any indications on the public permits of any physical connection. The permits all point to some type of shuttle bus or tram that would run on surface roads.

michmousefan

What's missing at the moment is any indications on the public permits of any physical connection. The permits all point to some type of shuttle bus or tram that would run on surface roads.
Sure, it's all speculation at this point, but if it was *only* a decorated/immersive shuttle bus/van or similar, then the resort could be a mile away. Or further. Right? If you have to drive a greater distance, just have the "story" in the transport last a bit longer.

That's the main thing that leads me to believe that there will still be some sort of physical connection. Whatever form that might take.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Was there ever a timeline released for this project? I am starting to wonder if TDO is having second thoughts about this being built as previously advertised, and are now trying to figure out a way to scale it back, but still charge $$$$ per night.

No firm data has surfaced but it's likely to be after Galaxy's Edge opens. They are continuing the site prep for the project so there is no reason at this point to think it has been cut.

Lensman

Sure, it's all speculation at this point, but if it was *only* a decorated/immersive shuttle bus/van or similar, then the resort could be a mile away. Or further. Right? If you have to drive a greater distance, just have the "story" in the transport last a bit longer.

That's the main thing that leads me to believe that there will still be some sort of physical connection. Whatever form that might take.
Your post got me thinking about the question of which design would provide the most plausible experience. So we start of on some other planet, perhaps Earth, but maybe not. Then we travel for a while in space, hyperspace, then space again, and finally end up either in orbit around Batuu or having landed at the spaceport of Batuu, near the outpost which is SW:GE.

How do I best simulate travel from the spaceship to the outpost? People seem to advocate for one of two options, plus I'll add in even worse choices:
1. Walk through what seems to be a parking lot on Earth.
2. Board a decent simulation of a wheeled vehicle to travel from the landing site to the outpost.
3. Board what's likely to be an unconvincing shuttle craft from orbit to a landing at the outpost.
4. Walk through a quarter mile of themed corridor that is supposed to be part of the ship between (wherever you are on the ship) to the air lock.
5. Walk down a quarter mile "jetway" from the ship to the spaceport docking bay.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom