Star Tours 2...what happened?

Pete C

Original Poster
Just a few months ago there seemed to be increasingly concrete details regarding a new Star Tours with HD video, multiple screens, new ride simulators, etc. Then it just died off. Seems like every rumor of a major refurb goes dark just after things kick up. Any word if this is still on track? Might we get an announcement soon regarding this and Space Mountain, among other things? Disney needs to throw us a bone here. DL fans are living it up over there with their 1 billion dollar overhaul, and we are sitting here twiddling our thumbs waiting for something...anything big to look forward to.

ImaYoyo

Well don't forget that TSM is part of their "billion dollar cheeze-fest" (j/k, Cali adventure is great :lookaroun) and our TSM is still being built as well, not to mention we're currently living in complete-and-total-refurb-world. But good stuff is comin... hold tight!

Just a few months ago there seemed to be increasingly concrete details regarding a new Star Tours with HD video, multiple screens, new ride simulators, etc. Then it just died off. Seems like every rumor of a major refurb goes dark just after things kick up. Any word if this is still on track? Might we get an announcement soon regarding this and Space Mountain, among other things? Disney needs to throw us a bone here. DL fans are living it up over there with their 1 billion dollar overhaul, and we are sitting here twiddling our thumbs waiting for something...anything big to look forward to.

darthjohnny

Nothing really happened as of yet.

Some people who claimed to have inside sources described the details you mentioned.

It was mostly just rumors being spread around.

It's noteworthy to point out that all these rumors (like Star Tours 2) started appearing once Universal dropped the huge bomb that they will get a Harry Potter attractions.

The rumors may have mostly been fan speculation of how Disney would "combat" this news rather than concrete facts.

However, Anthony Daniels (the man behind C-3PO) did say in an interview that he has filmed new scenes for the new attraction. But nothing has come out of it since.

Disney has been kind of been keeping mum about their new stuff lately.

So who knows what's going on.

I would think if George Lucas has to be personally involved with it (which I'm sure he will) it might take a while due to his continuing work with Indiana Jones 4, and the two Star Wars television shows.

Peterwhite171

Reports are that Disney is pretty mighty peeved that Mice age and other Websites have been leaking the news about Disney theme parks, I hear that they are going to be ramping up the security levels quite a bit so it will be harder for rumors to make it out.

Chernabog

I'm looking forward to a new Star Tours as much as the next nerd...but call me crazy, didn't we just spend a good portion of cash to really fix up Haunted Mansion? I wouldn't say that California is getting better deals, just that WDW is better about keeping it a surprise. Who doesn't love surprises.

sknydave

Even if the rumors are true and they are putting together Star Tours 2.0, I don't see them starting anything prior to Toy Story Mania opening

Enigma

Account Suspended
Reports are that Disney is pretty mighty peeved that Mice age and other Websites have been leaking the news about Disney theme parks, I hear that they are going to be ramping up the security levels quite a bit so it will be harder for rumors to make it out.

Yep. Apperantly Disney was furious that Al Lutz leaked on Saturday that the $1 billion dollar remake of Disney's California Adventure would get announced the following wednesday and low behold just about everythign Al Lutz had been talking about for the past few years was announced (New Entry area themed to 1920s LA, Cars e-ticket, little mermaid, etc.)

He said Star Tours 2 is still coming...most likely to open sometime in 2009. Tokyo and Florida will be getting it at the same time.

ToTBellHop

I'm looking forward to a new Star Tours as much as the next nerd...but call me crazy, didn't we just spend a good portion of cash to really fix up Haunted Mansion? I wouldn't say that California is getting better deals, just that WDW is better about keeping it a surprise. Who doesn't love surprises.
I would say Disneyland is getting better deals. And who says WDW is good about keeping surprises, exactly? Give any of our insiders their own blog-like website and you would have a WDW Al Lutz.

Thiger

it'll happen, just give it a few years.

I think the Jedi Training academy is the first of a whole new era of lucasification for DHS.

The JTA was fantastic too! If you have kids they will go nuts when they get to be a part of this show...its really clever!

ryguy

Maybe I am dumb but why would Disney care if things are leaked. For example, if someone on the inside confirmed space mountain was getting a complete refurb. What could universal or sea World do about it?? I understand cutting edge technology secets are important, but if a new ride or refurb is coming whats the big deal? Has there ever been an instance where Disney had an idea stolen for a project?? I guess I don't see the big deal, enlighten me.

culturenthrills

Maybe I am dumb but why would Disney care if things are leaked. For example, if someone on the inside confirmed space mountain was getting a complete refurb. What could universal or sea World do about it?? I understand cutting edge technology secets are important, but if a new ride or refurb is coming whats the big deal? Has there ever been an instance where Disney had an idea stolen for a project?? I guess I don't see the big deal, enlighten me.

Leaks happen throughout the industry. Most of the companies have a general idea what the other one is working on. Everyone needs to be patient. If you are a fan of the florida parks(WDW, Universal, SeaWorld and Busch) the next few years are going to be exciting. Oops, I may have said too much don't want to spread any rumors.

tirian

The reports are correct; that's why many of us here don't talk too much anymore...

WhyteAL

The force will be with you...always...:wave:

Can't wait till Jar-Jar Binks makes it into the ride...

Oh! Moie Moie, dissin me first time a flying dis ting...my don't know, but wassa dis ah doin?

:D

J/K

I'm just a StarWars Junky...can't wait.:sohappy:

BSikor

Heard a rumor that they have been testing some of the new systems with the simulators at Body Wars. I also heard that the concept of having the roofs open into an ominmax style screen, like Back to the Future at Universal, were scrapped due to costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom