SPOILER: Deadpool (3) and Wolverine

BrianLo

I’m very very very pleased they pulled Dafne Keene specifically at the end. Far too great of an actress for the MCU to leave behind.

Ghost93

I didn't hate it, but I thought Deadpool and Wolverine was a mess.

The movie was so meta to the point where it began to annoy me about halfway through. I also think a lot of the humor will only land for those who are hyper online or very aware of the production histories and rights issues of Marvel characters from the past 20 years. Jokes revolved around things like Disney buying Fox, Channing Tatum never getting the opportunity to play Gambit, the poor reception of movies like Fantastic 4 and Elektra, etc. I found the jokes mildly amusing, but I don't think someone who isn't very online will. And I don't think the jokes will age well over time as context gets lost.

The story is flimsy and awful. I enjoyed it more than Ant-man and the Wasp Quantumania and The Marvels because I thought it was funnier, but in terms of character arcs and storytelling Deadpool and Wolverine is in the same ballpark as those films. There just wasn't much to latch onto emotionally.

Due to the fanservice I think some fans will say Deadpool and Wolverine is a step in the right direction. I view it as a grim harbinger of things to come. I am NOT looking forward to Secret Wars if it's going to be non-stop cameos and winks at the camera and moments specifically engineered to get nerds to applause.

Phroobar

The movie was so meta to the point where it began to annoy me about halfway through. I also think a lot of the humor will only land for those who are hyper online or very aware of the production histories and rights issues of Marvel characters from the past 20 years. Jokes revolved around things like Disney buying Fox, Channing Tatum never getting the opportunity to play Gambit, the poor reception of movies like Fantastic 4 and Elektra, etc. I found the jokes mildly amusing, but I don't think someone who isn't very online will. And I don't think the jokes will age well over time as context gets lost.

The story is flimsy and awful. I enjoyed it more than Ant-man and the Wasp Quantumania and The Marvels because I thought it was funnier, but in terms of character arcs and storytelling Deadpool and Wolverine is in the same ballpark as those films. There just wasn't much to latch onto emotionally.

Due to the fanservice I think some fans will say Deadpool and Wolverine is a step in the right direction. I view it as a grim harbinger of things to come. I am NOT looking forward to Secret Wars if it's going to be non-stop cameos and winks at the camera and moments specifically engineered to get nerds to applause.
So sounds like Multiverse of Madness with all the cameos but little story.

Ghost93

So sounds like Multiverse of Madness with all the cameos but little story.
Multiverse of Madness was WAAAAY better than Deadpool and Wolverine, due to Sam Rami's stylish direction, Elizabeth Olsen's scary performance as Evil Wanda (the villains in Deadpool 3 are forgettable) and the horror and camp elements.

Tha Realest

I loved it, but agree somewhat with @Ghost93 ‘s take. I knew and loved most of the old Fox stuff, so seeing those callbacks made me LOL numerous times. It did feel VERY inside baseball in that regard. It did feel very much made for someone who posts on a Disney movies message board. I believe it’ll find a broad audience but few people will get all the references.

But, in a way, that highlights the broader problem with the MCU (which Deadpool subversively skewers multiple times). For a franchise built to appeal to four quadrants, it’s become extremely tedious to keep up with.

As good as this was - and it’s a home run - it’s not replicable more broadly, as
1) Jackman’s not going to keep coming back, nor should he (they need a new Wolvie and X-Men in the mainline MCU)
2) Self-referential hard R rating is anathema to the brand long term
3) Deadpool had the luxury of being in a pocket universe, MCU films do not have that luxury (though seems the FF film is set in a different universe, so maybe the multiverse isn’t dead completely)

TheMaxRebo

Saw it last night and very much enjoyed it. Thought it was a lot of fun and enjoyed all the self-digs at Disney/MCU (how the multiverse has been "meh", etc)

Definitely loved the cameos and audibly gasped when Blade appeared.

Do think as a standalone move though it had some issue:
- same villain issue as a lot of MCU as they introduce a pretty cool villain but don't fully explain them or why we should care. They are super powerful but then get killed at the end so wind up being pretty inconsequential
- felt they minimized his relationship with his friends and especially with Vanessa. After all they went through and he did for her she winds up breaking up with him b/c he is sad vs working though it together? Just didn't feel connected to the emotional stakes for Wade like I did in the first two (especially first) movie.

Wolverines journey is better and lived the scenes b/w him and X23 - but that already got covered in Logan.

Definitely nitpicking a bit - still really enjoyed it an hope to see it in the theater again, but not a tip-top MCU film or anything

Ghost93

I thought the funniest gag was Elektra's reaction to Daredevil's death. Although I don't know if Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck are actually on bad terms or if their breakup was healthy enough that such a jab wouldn't be taken too personally.

BrianLo

I hear you. But I’m not mad at all for Deadpool to have leaned into being ‘Deadpool’.

It’s a Deadpool movie and that’s really what makes a Deadpool movie. But of course if they try and make Cap 4 the same, that would be an absolute hot mess.

The movie is very silly and irreverent. But I really loved it for that reason. It was just entertainment on this one. Very comic book or MCU nerd entertainment at that. Yes, there’s a couple of clear online nerd heavy jokes, but I think they’ll still play, just in a different way.

Most casual viewers will recognize the island of misfit toys as such., or the Johnny Storms of it all. But those surface level jokes at Fox and MCU inside baseball that may also fly over someone’s head, also evolved into approachable running gags. Whether it be Gambits dialect or the whole Johnny Storm bit etc.

The MCU is mass market, so I think making a for MCU audience inside baseball joke track of a film (for this instance), was not a bad choice at all. It also oozes a lot of joy from some actors who are incredibly dedicated to some of these characters as a whole but never really got their moment, which I kind of love Ryan Reynolds’s and the writers leaned into. Not just about Thor and Cap etc. It was very Fox and very restrained from truly crossing over.

Also the movie clearly bet big that Furiosa was supposed to be the proceeding event film of the summer. 😂

Tha Realest

I thought the funniest gag was Elektra's reaction to Daredevil's death. Although I don't know if Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck are actually on bad terms or if their breakup was healthy enough that such a jab wouldn't be taken too personally.
Oh man that was terrific.

Similarly, when Blade said, “There’s only one Blade!” it worked because
1) Not true (Sticky Fingaz show), and
2) Was Reynolds acknowledging the troubled production on Blade? Or was that a “yeah…about that” moment because Blade is definitely happening?

I also liked the acknowledgment of Snipes and Reynold’s past uhh..disagreements on the set of Blade Trinity.

Surferboy567

Multiverse of Madness was WAAAAY better than Deadpool and Wolverine, due to Sam Rami's stylish direction, Elizabeth Olsen's scary performance as Evil Wanda (the villains in Deadpool 3 are forgettable) and the horror and camp elements.
Multiverse was one of the biggest disappointments I’ve seen from Marvel. This was infinitely better and that hurts to say because I really like Dr. Strange. Multiverse wasn’t an awful movie but it was bad this was good IMO.

BrianLo

Multiverse was one of the biggest disappointments I’ve seen from Marvel. This was infinitely better and that hurts to say because I really like Dr. Strange. Multiverse wasn’t an awful movie but it was bad this was good IMO.

I’m on this side as well too. I don’t know why MoM didn’t click with me. I think it had to do with Wanda and I wasn’t in the right character head space coming off WandaVision.

Fan service comes off a lot weirder in a ‘serious’ film that wasn’t just baking it into the DNA like Deadpool does.

LittleBuford

I have only seen a handful of superhero movies in my life, know almost nothing about the various superhero franchises and universes, and probably missed the majority of references, but I really quite enjoyed the film. Although the story was a bit difficult for me to follow, I understood enough to make sense of it overall, and I found the acting engaging and the jokes (which were silly in a charming sort of way) funny.

DKampy

I have only seen a handful of superhero movies in my life, know almost nothing about the various superhero franchises and universes, and probably missed the majority of references, but I really quite enjoyed the film. Although the story was a bit difficult for me to follow, I understood enough to make sense of it overall, and I found the acting engaging and the jokes (which were silly in a charming sort of way) funny.
that is good to know for my Sunday afternoon screening…. I watch a lot of different movies… all genres… including superhero films… though I have not watch all the fox Marvels…when choosing my options of films I have stayed away from most The Fox Marvel movies that did not get great reviews… So I was kind of worried that I may be a bit lost since I may not get all the references as I have heard it is a love letter to the old fox movies

I am still banking on finding entertainment value as loved the previous 2 Deadpool movies… part of me is still a bit disappointed that the characters I grew to love from previous installments may take a backseat in this one

LittleBuford

that is good to know for my Sunday afternoon screening…. I watch a lot of different movies… all genres… including superhero films… though I have not watch all the fox Marvels…when choosing my options of films I have stayed away from most The Fox Marvel movies that did not get great reviews… So I was kind of worried that I may be a bit lost since I may not get all the references as I have heard it is a love letter to the old fox movies

I am still banking on finding entertainment value as loved the previous 2 Deadpool movies… part of me is still a bit disappointed that the characters I grew to love from previous installments may take a backseat in this one
I hope you enjoy it!

MoonRakerSCM

Kind of let down that the secondary characters from DP1 and 2 were mostly done dirty with little to no screentime... but they were replaced with a veritable love letter to Fox studios' films and proving a "self said" proper ending to many characters. I did not like the direction they went with his GF after the emiontal impact with her in the 1st and 2nd films.

That being said, I really enjoyed the film over all. Fun sequences, some funny jokes, and while the story was simple, it wasn't offensively bad. I've never watched Blade or Elektra or Fantastic Four nor knew about the Tatum/Gambit thing but thought their parts were great and well done. Having my finger on the overall sense of Fox film history and how they went (I knew another Gambit was done dirty in... I think Wolverine etc.) certainly helped though.

As always, Hugh Jackman was absolutely fantastic. Reynolds proved again why he IS Deadpool.

Again, really enjoyed it overall. Flame on!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom