Splurge on resort or something else?

meklein

Planning to celebrate my 40th birthday at WDW with my two daughters (5 & 12) in December - our favorite time of the year there! We usually save money by staying off property or if "going big" stay in a value and spend the money on lots of character meals. I want this trip to be extra special. Considering one of the deluxe resorts. I just can't decide which - I've seen several of them, but never stayed at one! Or is my money better spent in a moderate and splurge on something else (if so, what would that something else be?)? Obviously I have time, but feeling torn about whether the deluxe are REALLY that much more vavavoom. :D My kids are very easy going, and even the pre-teen loves Disney! Planning to do all the parks (the 5yo has only ever been to MK & Epcot).

Mr Morrow

You will really enjoy staying in one of the deluxe resorts, especially in one of those on the monorail loop. This, for me, is something that would make your stay 'extra special'. It is a good feeling being able to hop on the monorail after a late night park session and virtually being dropped off outside your room. Everyone will have different opinions as to where their money is best spent, but you'll never really know until you've tried it!

As for that something else to splurge on, have you explored some of the 'deluxe' restaurants? Some of them may surprise you with actually how good they are!

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

lovepooh

I am going for my 40th also! I was consdering staying at a deluxe for part of my stay, since I know I cant afford to do for the entire stay. I am still torn, but right now I am in a pool view room at the FQ, I love the boat transpo to downtown. I am also consdering doing something on my birthday at the parks. After all we only turn 40 once, right! I say do what your heart says and enjoy!

Upvote 0

SMS55

Depends. Are you one of those people that takes advantage of what the resort has to offer or uses it just to sleep and shower? If you are the latter(so are we) save it and spend it on other things that you and your daughters will enjoy more. If you plan to do things around the hotel you stay at, then stay at the deluxe.

Upvote 0

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
If you and the kiddos are are used to a value resort, then upgrade to a moderate and use the rest to enjoy extra souveniers, special meals, or some sort of tour/ special experience. My wife would truly appreciate the finer things at a Deluxe. As a farm kid who grew up staying in Howard Johnson's, I don't favor the finer things as much. A deluxe would be mostly lost on my kids, they are 9 and soon to be 11. It's mostly about the pool. a place to sleep, and where we force them to shower for them :)

Upvote 0

meklein

Original Poster
We do mostly spend the majority of our time at the parks, so mostly just crash at the resort, excellent point! And a moderate probably would be a huge step up for us! As for a deluxe restaurant, I would love that, but not sure about the 5 year old. Her "restaurant manners" are mostly excellent, but if she is exhausted after a day in the park, who knows! :oops:Any suggestions (ate at Jihko once when I was in town for a conference, LOVED it, but wouldn't bring the kids, well, at least not the little one!)? I had not thought about a back stage tour! Fantastic suggestion!

Upvote 0

luv

If I had to choose between Mod/Deluxe and extra money, I'd take the extra money every time. Disney hotels just don't have the service real luxury hotels have...or the amenities...or the space. You could always do both by staying somewhere nice offsite and having the extra money.

But if staying in a Disney hotel is your heart's desire, then that is what you should do. And if you are going to do it, pay for the view and really enjoy it. :)

Upvote 0

Mr Morrow

I'm sure most restaurants would be accommodating to children of all ages, after all, this is Disney we're talking about. They all have kids menus! Jiko, California Grill and the Brown Derby at Hollywood Studios are all decent restaurants. These would be my 'splurgy' restaurant suggestions but in terms of your decision on your accommodation, I'm sure whatever path you take, you'll have a magical 40th Birthday celebration! It's all about weighing up the pros and cons, and whatever option best suits your needs and wants :)

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Given the choices I would spend the money on having a great time instead of a great place to sleep, yet I would waiver on that IF the kids are really big on swimming and would spend a good chunk of time at the pool, then the splurge on Y&B would be where I'd head this time. Thinking a 5 & 12 year old kids don't care about where they sleep as much as what they do when they are awake.

Upvote 0
If you spend time at the resort(including pool), I would say go deluxe-but one of the "cheaper" deluxe. Animal Kingdom Lodge is amazing! It's a great place to take kids. Along with the Wilderness, it is the cheapest deluxe. Even if you don't pay for a room with a savanna view, you can see the animals as you walk to your room through the hallway. Also, there is an observation area just outside the lobby. I'm sure children ages 5 and 12 would just love it! Also, the restaurant Boma is a buffet with plenty of children's foods, but they could try others if they chose since it's a buffet. You said you have been to Jiko, which is excellent as well! The pools are definitely better at the deluxe resorts. However, water is water. The kids may not even notice. If you've stayed at Disney before, you know their rooms are smaller than most hotels. The deluxe hotels are definitely bigger. There's more space to move and get ready. If none of these factors matter that much to you, I would go with a moderate. I would also consider looking into a suite at the new Art Of Animation value resort.

As for your question about what special events you could splurge on, I would recommend a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table. Be sure to get a reservation as soon as available because it books fast. It is a character meal with lots of princesses, except it's actually inside the castle and better food than any of the other character meals. You could accompany this with a visit to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at the castle(reservation needed, as well) earlier that day. Although very, very expensive, they will make your daughters feel like princesses! To adults it may seem overrated to pay so much to get a child's hair styled, but what little girl wouldn't die of happiness to get their hair done by the same people who style Cinderella's?

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

I was dealing with this too, thinking I might slurge on a room at the Boardwalk or AKL, but decided to save the money and put it towards food costs ect. I think I just don't spend enough time at the resort, and if I did upgrade, it would gnaw at me if I did not end up getting enough out of it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom