Splash Mountain running yesterday

Rob562

Don't read too far into the cycling of logs as meaning they're close to opening. There are certain things that they can't work on show-wise until they can start cycling logs through the attraction. Things like the timing of show cues set off by the logs as they pass a certain point.

It's pretty widely agreed that Splash needs as much downtime as it can possibly get right now. You do *not* want them to rush things. (And if they're working on show elements and timing with this many days left in the refurb, it's pointing toward good things)

-Rob

FWIW... I as at MK last week and while I took my son to Tom Sawyer island my father-in-law stayed behind and got to talk to one of the design engineers for the ride. He (my father in law) isn't always the best at paying attention, but he does like splash and he told us right after we got back, so I presume this is good info.
  • The DE he talked to has supposedly been with Disney for 17 years, and worked on SM the entire time
  • They are on target for a Feb 18 opening
  • The topmost part of SM is a log that sticks out... it is actually very easy to get to up and often CMs will go up there at night to look at traffic flow in the park
  • The main reason SM got restraint bars is because of stupid people, culminating with a genius who decided to put his young son on his shoulders on the big lift. From the way my father-in-law told me it sounds like it didn't trip the intrusion system but a CM just happened to see it right before the log dropped and got the ride shut down.
  • The ride is not technically considered a flume ride anymore because of the restrain bars, but a roller coaster. (As an aside this logic was confirmed by another CM at the Winne the Pooh ride who said that was also considered a roller coaster because of the restraint bars)
  • They drain and walk the flume every night looking for defects. He (the DE) made it sound like this was SOP for all water rides in WDW.
  • They can drain/fill SM in 20 mins with the pump system they have.
I am back at work and I already miss WDW!

MeandMickey

We were at MK yesterday as well. Logs were beign run for at least 3 days, but no water on the flume drop. Yesterday they had all sorts of Imagineers, designers and CM managers on the open bridge to Thunder Mountain checking everthing out and taking notes.

DizFiz

I noticed when I was there that some of head ornaments on the front of the logs were missing must have been because some logs were still being refurbished... hope that is the case.

a2grafix

I saw that the water chutes were dry on Monday, March 4, but the evening on March 5 the water had been turned on. The big flume hill, though, the water was not tuned on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom