Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

BrianLo

After the initial shock, I've come around to looking forward to it and being hopeful they'll feel pressure to do a good job in the conversion.

I definitely understand the mourning over what was certainly a top tier attraction.

For once at least this isn't actually a thematic downgrade. No plastic figurines on sticks please.

Also will be interesting to see if somehow the rest of Critter Country eventually gets roped in.

BrianLo

True yet I can’t see how it won’t be a downgrade experientially

The experience wasn't contingent on Song of the South, it was driven by the fact it was well executed.

While fleeting, there are a few cases where messing with something did yield better results. Albeit limited and the odds are not good, but not impossible. Haunted Mansion and Phantom Manor for example. Neither is really a downgraded experience occurring in the exact same ride layout. People obviously have a preference though.

Certainly the Bayou scene in Pirates is beautiful, which provides some hope.

Unlike something like Guardians and Twilight Zone - tonally a very similar experience can be provided. It can still be a light hearted Southern Musical with anthropometric animals.

CHOX

I keep thinking back to Universe of Energy and hearing that those Dinos literally fell apart when moved. I’m hoping the humidity hasn’t dome something similar to our tea drinking goose friends.

And they better keep the jack o lantern snowman...or at least move it to Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

This is genius... just imagine a Louis AA jamming out with the swamp boys...

Attachments

• 01B75F25-EBF6-4EE3-800D-8D81245E85CC.jpeg
    01B75F25-EBF6-4EE3-800D-8D81245E85CC.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 392

mickEblu

The experience wasn't contingent on Song of the South, it was driven by the fact it was well executed.

While fleeting, there are a few cases where messing with something did yield better results. Albeit limited and the odds are not good, but not impossible. Haunted Mansion and Phantom Manor for example. Neither is really a downgraded experience occurring in the exact same ride layout. People obviously have a preference though.

Certainly the Bayou scene in Pirates is beautiful, which provides some hope.

Unlike something like Guardians and Twilight Zone - tonally a very similar experience can be provided. It can still be a light hearted Southern Musical with anthropometric animals.

Right GOTG going into TOT is not harmonious at all. I always wished they just had just gone with the Guardians crashed landed in Hollywood... since the went the KABLAM route / this is taking place at DCA anyway.

When I say experientially I’m referring to mostly the music and some of those great vignettes. The music in Splash Mountain are almost like the theme songs for Disneyland.

brb1006

Worst decision in Disneyland history. Josh D Amaro should be ashamed to be representing this company and tarnishing the park's quality.

I thought Tower of Terror hurt, never would've imagined this.

Modern WDI is garbage and their "storytelling" consists of straightforward retellings of movies. Classic WDI was all about experiences, not stories. Even Tony Baxter's involvement can't save WDI from their "storytelling" itch (just look at the Baxter involved finding Nemo).
I don't think Josh made this decision, remember that we now have two Bobs at the actual Disney company. Heck, it's barerly been over two months since Josh became president of WDI.

Rich T

I think many familiar with Splash Mtn. who love PatF instantly got the same 3 visions in their minds when they heard the announcement:

1) 1st ride sequence: “Gonna Take You There”
2) Scary Sequence: “Friends on the Other Side”
3) Finale: “Dig a Little Deeper”

Musically and emotionally, it’s a perfect fit for the existing layout and even most of the existing sets and props. I really do think this can work.

Rich T

Their billion dollar land that took 6 years to make was also scrutinized yet we all know how that turned out.
This is going to be scrutinized far wider than by the groups of SW and park fans. And even though I agree Disney messed up GE for reasons of greed and ego, it’s well done and just one trilogy tweak away from greatness.

Last edited:

DrAlice

I think many familiar with Splash Mtn. who love PatF instantly got the same 3 visions in their minds when they heard the announcement:

1) 1st ride sequence: “Gonna Take You There”
2) Scary Sequence: “Friends on the Other Side”
3) Finale: “Dig a Little Deeper”

Musically and emotionally, it’s a perfect fit for the existing layout and even most of the existing sets and props. I really do think this can work.
The part that worries me is that they stated the ride story is set AFTER the movie. That means that Dr. Facilier is no longer in play, right? I hope they can figure out a creative way to make #2 work. Perhaps a graveyard scene? After all, graveyards are a big part of NOLA.

Rich T

The part that worries me is that they stated the ride story is set AFTER the movie. That means that Dr. Facilier is no longer in play, right? I hope they can figure out a creative way to make #2 work. Perhaps a graveyard scene? After all, graveyards are a big part of NOLA.
I have a feeling that they’ll still follow the general flow of the movie, and that they’re doing this so Tiana doesn’t have spend most of the ride as a frog. I’m 100% sure Dr. Facilier is returning from beyond.

And since they only mention Tiana and Louis joining your journey, I’m guessing Facilier turns Prince Naveen into a frog again in the pre-show (plush frog sales, after all) and you have to rescue Naveen before the big party at the end. 😃

Rich T

It's a situation where Disney had better do this changeover with excellence in mind. If not, many groups (like all of us it seems) will be angry and offended.
Exactly. They can’t second-rate this one.
(Edit)
And you can bet Tiana will be more present in the castle and fireworks shows, which is a good thing because she’s a great character.

Last edited:

denyuntilcaught

Worst decision in Disneyland history. Josh D Amaro should be ashamed to be representing this company and tarnishing the park's quality.

I thought Tower of Terror hurt, never would've imagined this.

Modern WDI is garbage and their "storytelling" consists of straightforward retellings of movies. Classic WDI was all about experiences, not stories. Even Tony Baxter's involvement can't save WDI from their "storytelling" itch (just look at the Baxter involved finding Nemo).

Disagree on literally everything you said.

TBH, I think the worst decision was DCA. Tower of Terror, while thematically appropriate, was woefully value engineered and paled in comparisons to Florida, so I'm happy they've evolved the system into something more fun (though, admittedly, disgusting to look at from the outside.) Lastly, I disagree that modern WDI is garbage, because they're still pumping out astonishing, immersive experiences.

It's the budgets and bloat that are garbage.

George Lucas on a Bench

Modern Disney attractions are ambitious and advanced, the pinnacle of imagination and immersive storytelling on a scale never seen before.

This new, epic experience draws you into a sprawling Princess and the Frog narrative that blurs the lines between fantasy and reality, delivering thrilling action driven by cutting-edge technology and innovative design that gives you the feeling of stepping inside the immersive world of The Princess and the Frog.

You have nothing to worry about. Splash Mt is in good hands.

mickEblu

This is going to be scrutinized far wider than the SW and park fans. And even though I agree Disney messed up GE for reasons of greed and ego, it’s well done and just one trilogy tweak away from greatness.

Annnnd some trees, music, kinetic energy, walk around aliens/ droids, a restaurant theatre and a thrill ride.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

This is going to be scrutinized far wider than by the groups of SW and park fans. And even though I agree Disney messed up GE for reasons of greed and ego, it’s well done and just one trilogy tweak away from greatness.

Agree. I’m not an apologist for the failed launch of Galaxy’s Edge but I do think to borrow from a cable sent to Mark Twain “The reports of [Galaxy’s Edge] death have been greatly exaggerated.“

Rise of the Resistance (when fully functioning) is truly an excellent attraction and I think the biggest blights on the land - the re-rideability of Smugglers run and lack of character interactions- can be addressed in time.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom