Special Tours

mickeyandtigger

Original Poster
Hello all. We leave for our latest trip on 11/30; this will probably be our last trip with our son before he graduates HS. What we were wondering is what extra events or tours are available and your opinions of them. We have seen a few things where folks say it "ruined the MAGIC" for them. We would like to do something special and beyond what we have done in the past to make this trip "a little extra special", and welcome any suggestions. For background we have been several times and attended all the standard shows and parades, etc., that are available in the parks. We have not done any extra tours or many things outside the parks beyond DD, waterparks, and mini golf.

Lhriangel

Hello all. We leave for our latest trip on 11/30; this will probably be our last trip with our son before he graduates HS. What we were wondering is what extra events or tours are available and your opinions of them. We have seen a few things where folks say it "ruined the MAGIC" for them. We would like to do something special and beyond what we have done in the past to make this trip "a little extra special", and welcome any suggestions. For background we have been several times and attended all the standard shows and parades, etc that are available in the parks. We have not done any extra tours or many things outside the parks beyond DD, waterparks, and mini golf.

If you are very into the magic and how it is created I recommend either the backstage magic tour or the main one at MK which for some reason I can NOT think of the name of right now. The backstage magic one sounds really cool! Also, see if they are doing the christmas tour at Epcot this year. That is great...

There is also Dophins in Depth and the Living Seas experiences to think of. La Nouba I've heard amazing things about but personally ha.ven't been able to afford yet.

Oh and I think there is a Mickey Milestones tour as well that may be interesting. I would contact Disney and ask for brouchures on their tours and make your decision from there :)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Backstage Magic is a great tour that lasts about 7 hours and allows you to see several different backstage areas. I went a year ago and saw the back of American Adventure, Epcot cast areas, the MK Utilidors, the costuming shop at the Studios, Holiday Decoration storage and design, the vehicle shop, and a few others areas. I didn't think it ruined anything at all.

The Keys to the Kingdom tour is shorter and covers backstage areas at the MK. I've heard good things, but never done it myself.

The Behind the Seeds tour at Epcot is one you might consider. I'm not sure how a teenager would like it, but it's about an hour in the Land greenhouses, and gives some interesting information.

Outside of the parks, try seeing the Electrical Water Pageant if you haven't.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I don't think any of the tours I took "ruined" the magic for me. Rather, I learned, as someone else said, how it was created. If anything, it deepened my appreciation for it because I learned how Disney took polls and conducted extensive (and probably costly) research into such inane things as trash cans.

I recommend the tours. They're great fun, but only if you are really into it. One of my friends who did Keys to the Kingdom with me was bored even before we left Main Street.

Captain Hank

I'll go ahead and put in my plug for Behind the Seeds. :)

If you all are interested in science, gardening, or even food in general, I'd recommend considering this tour. There isn't much that actually occurs "backstage," but you get to see The Land's greenhouses from a different perspective (literally and figuratively). Thus, little to no ruining of the magic. It lasts an hour and costs $14 for adults and $10 for children 3-9. Like all tours, it can be booked in advance via (407)-WDW-TOUR, or same-day at the tour desk attached to the entrance of Soarin'.

Rob562

I'm a theater tech (just a hobby, not a fulltime job), so I loved taking the Keys to the Kingdom tour. A friend of mine also took the Steam Trains Tour that includes a visit to the roundhouse and said it was very good.

I just read something posted on another forum by a CM that's a very good way to judge whether a backstage tour is for you or not:

Let's say someone shows you a simple sleight-of-hand magic trick. You're momentarily amazed by it. Then let's say that the magician showed you how he did it. What would your reaction be?
Would you be disheartened after knowing how it was done, thinking "that's all it was?"
Or would you be impressed and more appreciative of the technique for how effective it was?

If you fall into the first reaction, a backstage tour is *not* for you. But if you fall into the second, you should look into taking one if you have the time and money.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom