Special Needs Child

Goontoe

Hi all. We are taking our daughter on her first ever trip to Disney World in October and I have a few questions. We will be flying in and probably *not* renting a car. We are staying at the Polynesian Resort.

She will be 3 years old and she has some developmental issues. She needs to drink cold Pediasure several times a day. Does the Polynesian have an in-room refigerator? Also, is there a grocery store close by where I can purchase the Pediasure from so I don't have to carry it with us on the plane? Would a taxi be the best way to get to the store?

Also, she isn't walking yet. We don't have a wheelchair for her because she will eventaully walk on her own. We were thinking of just bringing her regular stroller to use in the parks. It's going to be tough on us to hold her for several hours a day while we wait in line. I know she won't sit in her stroller that long. Does Disney offer any kind of pass for children with special needs such as this where they won't have to wait in line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Scott-

Maria

Originally posted by Goontoe

Also, she isn't walking yet. We don't have a wheelchair for her because she will eventaully walk on her own. We were thinking of just bringing her regular stroller to use in the parks. It's going to be tough on us to hold her for several hours a day while we wait in line. I know she won't sit in her stroller that long. Does Disney offer any kind of pass for children with special needs such as this where they won't have to wait in line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Scott-

Yes, Disney does have different kinds of passes for guests with different needs. They are given at Guest Relations and you will have to show up there and explain your situation and the GR host will issue it. They come in different colors depending on what they allow you to do and they are very specific on it, so cast members understand and know exactly what to do when you present it to them.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Welcome,

1st Poly does not have in-room refigerator, but you can get them for 10$ a day. When we stayed there in Dec 2001, we needed one for our DD antibiotics. They gave us one and never mentioned the price. When I got the bill we called front desk and they took it off since it was a medical nessasity.

Some resorts such as all villas for DVC does have in-room refigerators (and more). I have heard some guests even buying small refigerators and brining them (for 45$ less then a weeks of renting.)

If you take Tiffany Town Car or YourRide (we always take yourride) they charge one price for everyone, have a car seat for you and will stop at a store for 30 min to get what ever you need. I belive the standard price is around 80 (there is a coopon for 5$ off at Yourrides website, wwwyourride.net) You need to request both the car seat and store stop when making reservations.

Poly is great with a zero entry pool and monorail acess. If your stroller is small enough you don't need to fold it up to get on, if it isn't busy. When taking the bus to other parks you will need to fold up the stroller, so make sure you have one that is compact. If you are in a whellchair the bus will load her in the chair in the back. Good luck and have a wonderful and magical trip. I hope your DD really enjoys it.

As a side note, I also often frequent www.disboards.com They have a forem for disabilities with a great deal of info and many members who have lots of experince at WDW with a varieity of disabilites. Check them out, you might find some help (and friends too.) :) I happened to see a local show her in Michigan PBS on going to WDW with disabillites. It was really good and had lots of fottage of the parks. Disney is well known for working with all kinds of speical needs.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

If you call the resort IN ADVANCE and tell them you need the fridge for a medical reason such as this, they will most likely wave the 10 dollar per day charge.

My advice to get the Pediasure, would be to call a towncar service like our site sponosor Your Ride (www.yourride.net). They may be a few dollars more that Mears, but it will be a lot easier for you. They will also include a free stop at a supermarket for you on the way to your resort. All you have to do is ask about it when you make your reservation.

Hope this Helps and have a Great Time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom