Special dining requirements question

mrcliff

Original Poster
Hello!

We are travelling to WDW this summer and have booked a host of fantastic dining. Unfortunately, my wife has since developed a condition where she cannot chew and needs her meals to be reduced / ground up to a baby food type consistency :(

Has anybody had any experience of this kind of special dining requirement in WDW - or know if any of the restaurants can accommodate this?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I will admit I am not knowledgeable on this subject so I would suggest contacting Disney directly however I have never heard of Disney being able to puree as a special dietary need.

Hockey89

Hello!

We are travelling to WDW this summer and have booked a host of fantastic dining. Unfortunately, my wife has since developed a condition where she cannot chew and needs her meals to be reduced / ground up to a baby food type consistency :(

Has anybody had any experience of this kind of special dining requirement in WDW - or know if any of the restaurants can accommodate this?
That's rough, but I'm not sure how you expect Disney to make baby food for your wife....

Weather_Lady

It's an unusual request, but not a terribly onerous one, if all you're talking about is asking somebody in the kitchen to dump your wife's chunky soup or dish of pasta into a food processor for 30 seconds. Still, there's no guarantee that every kitchen will have the equipment ready and available to do that sort of thing, and if accommodating the request is going to require the individual blending of multiple items, it may become prohibitive, in terms of the time and man-power required to essentially prepare each component of the meal twice.

I think you're probably going to have to ask each table service restaurant individually, as you go. (If you indicate a food issue on your reservations, they'll send a chef to your table to consult with you: they can tell you whether it's possible for the kitchen to accommodate a need for pureed food, and also identify what menu items, if any, already meet your wife's needs; e.g., blended soups, puddings, purees and mashes, etc.). I'd pore over the menus ahead of time to identify some "back-up" items that your wife could order (or bring with her, as mentioned above) in case you run into a situation where the kitchen can't do much for you. Good luck!

awoogala

Hopefully someone with personal experience can share, but in the mean time, try contacting Disney directly : special.diets@disneyworld.com. Also, be aware that while you can bring your own food into the restaurant with you, the restaurant cannot store or reheat it for you. Best of luck, and I hope she has a speedy recovery.
Absolutely contact them. I know they will do everything that is possible to help those with special dietary needs- but direct discussion will be the best. Does she have allergies/sensitivities as well? or just the consistency? You would be surprised at how helpful special dining can be, but be sure to have your reservation #'s, and all dietary needs clearly explained before contacting them.

jaklgreen

As a body builder who lives out of a blender, let me assure you that not all foods translate well to being ground to a pulp. I would aim more towards protein shakes and smoothies.
This is what I was thinking. Load up on Ensure shakes to take with you. My grandmother lived on those while ill and managed to not loose more then a few pounds. It is not ideal but between those and what you can get there, she can make it work. Good luck to your wife and a speedy recovery.

awoogala

Having known several special needs kids who have gone and needed massive dietary accommodations, including chewing, you should contact special diets directly. Many chefs are fantastic at working with these needs, but need the advance notice. No one here can tell you, try and call/email them, asap.

mrcliff

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help.

I have contacted special.diets and await a reply. We are really just hoping to find something on each menu that can go into a blender for a few seconds and not be too much trouble :) When I hear, I'll report back just in case it's useful info for somebody else but really appreciate you all taking the time to comment.

mrcliff

Original Poster
Just to let you know that this has all worked out brilliantly.

I contacted the special diets team and they sent me a form to fill out with our specific requirements and reservations. It seems all Disney owned and run restaurants can accommodate this request as long as they have around 30 days notice.

Really looking forward to our trip and so grateful to know that Disney is able to help us with this request :)

JIMINYCR

Just to let you know that this has all worked out brilliantly.

I contacted the special diets team and they sent me a form to fill out with our specific requirements and reservations. It seems all Disney owned and run restaurants can accommodate this request as long as they have around 30 days notice.

Really looking forward to our trip and so grateful to know that Disney is able to help us with this request :)
Glad to hear Disney can accommodate you since it is seem to be an unusual circumstance. It certainly will help to make your trip more enjoyable for both of you. Isnt Disney GREAT !!!! Thats why we keep going !!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom