Sound Issue With Laptop Since Updating To Windows 8.1

Arthur Wellesley

Original Poster
Probably not that big of a deal, but annoying nonetheless.

I have an HP laptop which started doing something strange ever since I updated to Windows 8.1
Sometimes (about once every 9-10 times I turn on the laptop), there will be no sound at all. The sound icon shows that the sound is on, but you hear nothing. The problem easily fixes itself just by me restarting my computer. Sound works great after that.

I've done some research on this via Google, but am either finding answers in high-tech speak (which I am far from), or different problems which don't relate to mine.

Like I said, the problem always resolves just by me restarting the laptop, but it gets rather annoying having this happen from time-to-time. Just wondering if anyone knows what this could be or why it sometimes happens? It's not an issue with the speakers or anything (obviously since the sound works great after a restart...and sound always worked with Windows 8.0), and this is by far not an every day issue with 8.1. Just curious if anyone knows what could be causing this casual annoyance. Thanks for any info!

lazyboy97o

Have you checked to see if the hardware is showing as connected? Or available if not connected?

Any chance your computer paired to some Bluetooth audio device?

Have you checked to see if there are more updated that did not load before?

Is there a need to keep turning the computer off and on?

Daniel Johnson

My Acer running 8.1 does the same, but if it's connected to my Bluetooth headphones the sound is flawless.
I've been told there is a driver issue, but at the moment my cans put out far superior sound than the laptops speakers, so, I'm ok.

wdwstateofmind

Windows 8.1 sometimes will claim a signed driver isn't or just allow drivers to not install as is the case with Amazon's ADB drivers for Windows. If you still can't install it then turn off windows driver signing and try again. This would allow an 'unapproved' driver to install and/or work when it previously didn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom