Sorcerer Mickey Hat At MGM-Studios

Richboy

Original Poster
Does anyone know anything new concerning the Sorcerer Mickey Hat at MGM-Studios? It looks completley stupid plopped right in the middle of the park. Unlike the "Epcot" sign on Spaceship Earth, which does not affect the overall atmosphere of the park, the Sorcerer Mickey Hat completely destroys the look of Hollywood Boulevard. Plus, it has completley dwarfed the Great Movie Ride, which is a beautifully detailed structure, and it has to sit in the shadows of a huge blue metal cone with a gift shop inside. It looks ridiculous. I could see putting it up temporarily for the 100 Years of Magic in 2001, but its now almost 2005 and the hidious Hat is still there. I don't understand why Disney wastes its money (which it could be using to build quality attractions) on huge structures that look horrible (and cost them a large sum of money to build) What was the point of even building it? Does anyone know when Disney will take down this horrible structure or will future generations never know what Hollywood Boulevard is really supposed to look like?

General Grizz

The hat is "permanent" according to several Cast Members. If the Sorcerer's Hat actually symbolized something great (and not the gift shop that is underneath it), maybe I'd have a little respect for it.

The hat needs to go eventually because it indeed alters the original, spirited atmosphere. To hear that it's permanent (the "logo") is very disheartening; if I knew it would be down, in say, 5 years, I really wouldn't care. Same goes for the Epcot wand.

Jajo

Even 50 yards closer to the enterance would make a huge difference. I totally understand why Disney wants MGM to have a Disney icon like the sorcers hat but why did they have to take away from the theater. They could have even taken away one of the corner gift shops and put it there. By the way, I know I am totally alone, but the wand does not bother me at all. I like the way it accents SE. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the Tree of Life sculpted into a topiary of Mickey (just kidding).

Richboy

Original Poster
Concerning the wand on Spaceship Earth, the attraction looked considerably better before the wand was added, and I actually really enjoyed the wand during the Millenium Celebration. It looked a lot better with the "2000" logo instead of the script writing "Epcot." I think it would've been a lot cheaper, instead of replacing the "2000" with the "Epcot," to just take the wand down. Its a shame that Disney enjoys demoloshing classic rides like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea but is so adament about keeping up that hideous Sorcerer Mickey Hat.

DarkMeasures

The location of the hat is what makes it a problem. I would have absolutly no problem if it were almost anywhere else. (besides Sunset BLVD).

I do wish that it was moved to either the animation courtyard or Echo lake.

I should point out that I was there when it was built and it was done so in a matter of weeks. It wouldn't be hard at all to build a new one or move the hat.

se8472

The thing with the hate is that it needed a central local...there isn't any other spot in MGM that is more central then where it is right now.

I don't know why some of you let these small things get to ya...wands....hats...golden castles....there are so many other things in the world that need this type of attention.

General Grizz

se8472 said:
The thing with the hate is that it needed a central local...there isn't any other spot in MGM that is more central then where it is right now.

I don't know why some of you let these small things get to ya...wands....hats...golden castles....there are so many other things in the world that need this type of attention.
There indeed are, but they aren't appropriate in the WDW News/Rumors forum. :lol: ;)

TheOneVader

People say that they put the hat so they'd have an icon... Well, couldn't they just keep the Earful Tower they've been using for years and years? Or, they could do something radical and, gasp, make the theater its icon!

Personally, I don't care about the wand. It looked better without it, but it doesn't bug me. But the sorcerer's hat on the other hand... It's just so big and dominates the street. And, it blocks what would be an amazing sight when you first enter the park.

SpenceMan01

I agree. I was watching the parade today, and they had shots of it. The poor little Theater was peeking out from behind it saying "Hey....don't forget about me! I got a neat ride about movies in here which happens to be what this park is all about." And the sorcer hat snaps back "No. Come buy stuff from me. We've got pins and shirts and gifts galore."

I mean seriously, why did they have to go and ruin the sight of walking into MGM and seeing the pinnicle (IMO) of Hollywood, straight down the street. the hat just messes it all up and is an eyesore IMO. Someone suggested moving it to the animatino courtyard, where I think it would fit in much better.

ToTBellHop

DarkMeasures said:
The location of the hat is what makes it a problem. I would have absolutly no problem if it were almost anywhere else. (besides Sunset BLVD).

I do wish that it was moved to either the animation courtyard or Echo lake.

I should point out that I was there when it was built and it was done so in a matter of weeks. It wouldn't be hard at all to build a new one or move the hat.
Matter of weeks? Not really. It took about 8 months. I went in February of 2001 and the area was already cleared with construction of the ring that forms the base of the hat nearing completion, and the hat was finished only slightly before the kick-off of 100 Years of Magic in October of 2001. You can check out pictures of its construction here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/100years_archive.htm Notice that construction started before January 17, 2001, and it was completed around August 29, 2001....probably 8 months it took to build. It would take well over a year to move the hat, and the current location is such for several reasons, particularly because it would not have feasibly fit in anywhere else--in Animation Courtyard, it would have likely been too crowded with it between three reasonably popular attractions--in front of the Great Movie Ride, where there is much more space, it fits. Secondly, its current location is extremely visible all the way down Hollywood Blvd, to the entrance, much like Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth, and the Tree of Life (at least visible upon exiting the Oasis) are visible to all guests upon entering the park. It also allows a heck of a lot more opportunities for them to take photos of our families in front of the hat to sell to us. I don't particularly miss the Chinese Theatre facade being in clear view...it is by no means uniquely Disney, and the hat certainly meets the new theming of MGM, involving a variety of movie sets and soundstages scattered throughout. I do agree with Grizz, though, that the hat would fit in better if it were the entrance to a new attraction pertaining more to it, as opposed to a gift shop, but I don't hate the hat as is by any means...I think it's really pretty at night, actually. I also like the wand, too...I think it makes Spaceship Earth look less like a 180-foot tall golf ball and it certainly adds color to Epcot. I did like the 2000 better than the Epcot lettering though, although it would not be reasonable to change the year on it every year. I am reminded of the mid-90s when Epcot changed its name yearly, like Epcot94...oh well, now it's just Epcot underlined in toothpaste...maybe they could put a 200-foot santa hat on Spaceship Earth every Christmas and wrap everything in tinsel floss to promote good dental hygeine (Epcot© Sponsored by Krest)

Gregory

I kinda like the Epcot want.. I don't know if I want it there for ever, but SSE looks kinda bare, looking back...

I love the hat, too... Just, not where it is.. Behind the Animation Courtyard, and it would be great... But, it just really ruins the atmosphere of MGM... (But, I guess its necessary.. All you people who believe in the missle silos in MK can back me up on this- the hat is actually MGMs newest line of defense.. It turns into a missle in a matter of seconds.. :lookaroun)

I say they leave it where it is now, and next year, after Thanksgiving, turn it into a huge Santa hat.. then, after Christmas, get rid of it altogether... :xmas:

SpenceMan01

Gregory said:
(But, I guess its necessary.. All you people who believe in the missle silos in MK can back me up on this- the hat is actually MGMs newest line of defense.. It turns into a missle in a matter of seconds.. :lookaroun)

That's funny. I heard it was a giant laser beam ala Death Star. I guess it's pointed in the wrong direction though. Universal's the other way :lookaroun

Thelazer

I say that remount it, where the "earfel" tower is.
So that everyone can see it as your drive into WDW.

I also say that they remove the SSE wand, and get rid of the graveyard.

Trainee031589

SpenceMan01 said:
That's funny. I heard it was a giant laser beam ala Death Star. I guess it's pointed in the wrong direction though. Universal's the other way :lookaroun

You got it all wrong its actually a hallow hat with a spider hole at the top where Osama is hiding

TheOneVader

ISTCNavigator57 said:
maybe they could put a 200-foot santa hat on Spaceship Earth every Christmas and wrap everything in tinsel floss to promote good dental hygeine (Epcot© Sponsored by Krest)

If they got rid of the wand, I'd like them to light SSE up orange during Halloween. Then, they can put a stem on top to make Spaceship Pumpkin!

General Grizz

BREAKING NEWS!

THIS SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!

a.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom