Trip Report Some Trips Are Worth Melting For - A swelteringly magical 8 days in the happiest (hottest) place on Earth

Hi all! Just got back from 8 days in WDW and am so excited to write this trip report. This was my 25th time in WDW and I have NEVER experienced heat like this. But it was still an amazing trip and we had a blast. Looking forward to reliving it all while I create this post!

When: August 4-11
Where: Pop Century
Who: Me, my mom, and my two kids.

Thanks for reading!

IMG20230808173404_01.jpg

BraveGirl

Original Poster
Day 1!

20230804_100544.jpg

Travel day! Super early flight from LGA to MCO. We arrived around 11am and were able to check into our room immediately. Had some lunch at the food court and then decided to head over to Disney Springs to do the Aerophile before we saw Cirque du Soleil. We got there and were told it was not running because there was a single lightening strike 30 miles away (this is the beginning of a long Aerophile saga...stay tuned lol). Ok, change of plans. So we instead called an Uber and headed over to the outlet on Vine. Got some really cute Epcot 40 ears and an Epcot 40 loungefly, a figment shirt, baby yoda Halloween shirt, and a figment planter all for about $70. Win! It was our first time at the outlet and we had heard mixed reviews but we loved it and will definitely be going back.

Headed back to DS and had some dinner at House of Blues before seeing Drawn to Life. The show was beautiful and my children (who are both aerialists) absolutely loved it.

20230804_192826.jpg

IMG20230804212752.jpg

We saw the late Cirque show so by the time we were done, it was time for bed. We headed back to Pop for the night to be ready for our first park day on day 2, Animal Kingdom!

Last edited:

BraveGirl

Original Poster
Day 2! Animal Kingdom day!

We have not been to Animal Kingdom since 2019, and the last time we were there, we did a split day with HS, so we were excited to have a full day here this trip.

We rope dropped Expedition Everest and it was so empty we walked on twice in a row and were in almost empty trains both times. You can see from the picture - only the first few rows were filled! I quickly learned that riding EE back to back before breakfast is not the best idea :depressed:
IMG20230805075031.jpg

Afterwards, we made our way over to Dinosaur, which was also walk on as it was still extra magic hours.

IMG20230805082353.jpg

We then made our way over to It's Tough to Be a Bug (also walk-on), which traumatized my 9 year old for life. Oops. After that we headed to Kali River Rapids, which got us moderately wet the first time, so we went right back on to get even more wet. Still walk on both times. By this time the temps were in the high 90s so the water was necessary!

IMG20230805093053.jpg

We started to make our way towards Pandora and saw Kevin on the way

IMG20230805094302.jpg

Once in Pandora, we used our LL for Flight of Passage. None of us had ever ridden it before! My kids were always too little, and the lines were always WAY too long (and I never wanted to use up a Fastpass selection just for me). So this was the time! We loved it! It has become my 12 year old's favorite ride! I had to close my eyes at times, because I get motion sick on simulator rides like this (Star Tours does me in!). But it was pretty amazing and loved that you can feel the banshee breathing under your legs.

We were also eating our way across AK as we went. AK has the BEST quick serve food, IMO! (aside from the Food and Wine Festival booths at Epcot). We stopped for some cheeseburger pods at the Satu'li Canteen and they were delish. Next up was Navi River Journey which is pretty but always leaves me wanting something more.

At that point the heat was really getting to us. Here's a picture of us on our way to Rafiki's Planet Watch which accurately shows how we were all feeling at that moment lol.
20230805_122109.jpg

I have to say that this section of the park has become a huge disappointment to me. IMO, there's no reason to head over there unless you are doing the animation experience. I miss how it used to be, when the focus was actually animals and nature. I miss the Grandmother Willow sound booths, where you could cozy up in the AC and listen to forest sounds in the dark. We basically walked in and walked right back out. It was too hot to be outside so we didn't even look at the petting zoo portion, but we have that experience at our local zoo so it wasn't necessary for us.

Took the train back and went on the safari. The animals were all super active, except for the lions which were no where to be found.
20230805_132456.jpg

Then off to the Nomad lounge for the churros - there was a wait but it was worth it! Wow, those are some good churros.

IMG20230805153906.jpg

Then off to see the Lion King show, which hasn't changed in 25 years but is always impressive.

Ran back over to Dinoland for the ice cream cookie sandwich. Yum, so good! Worth the extra steps to get there!

20230805_165351.jpg

At this point, we had done everything we wanted to do. We decided to forgo the walking trails because it was too hot to be outside for that long. The timing for the Nemo and Feathered Friends in Flight shows hadn't worked out, and we were all melting and ready to be done. It was only 5:00, so we decided to call it a day and hit up the pool! We are usually rope drop to fireworks people (as you will see from the rest of the trip!) so leaving before closing is not normal for us! But the heat was oppressive and the pool was calling!

So we made our way back to Pop, for some pool time, roasting marshmallows, playing twister, and watching a movie (Inside Out) by the pool. We are never at the hotel long enough to take advantage of these activities, so it was really fun and different for us!

IMG20230805183402.jpg

20230805_205032.jpg

After the movie, it was time for bed! A long but early day, resting up for our big Hollywood Studios day on day 3!

Last edited:

BraveGirl

Original Poster
Day 3! Hollywood Studios!

(I just typed this entire thing and my computer froze and I lost it all, so here I go again!)

So…HS. I am and will always be an old-school MGM girl. I miss the old rides and the way the park used to be about making movies, and not just IP. Also, we’ve seen Beauty and the Beast and Indiana Jones so. Many. Times. Over the years (I was an “extra” pulled from the audience in 1998!) so we automatically cross those off our to-do list in this park. Plus, Star Tours makes me barf and my kids are not big fans either so we don’t do that either. So it’s not typically a full day park for us, and I had hoped to take a midday break to cool off in the pool, but my 12 year old had other plans….

My 9 year old daredevil and I rope dropped ToT and RRC (her FAVORITE). We literally RAN there while my mom and 12 year old made their way over the MF. ToT and RRC had no pre-shows and no lines, so we were done with both in 20 minutes. My mom and 12 year old had ridden MF while waiting for us, and rode it again once we got there.

20230806_074853.jpg

IMG20230806075512.jpg

We then made our way over to Toy Story land, and rode TSM (my favorite! And when did they stop calling it Midway Mania!?!?) and Swirling Saucers. By then it was time for our LL for RotR. Our First Order guard had a good time making fun of my 9 year old for wearing shoes with holes (crocs), and we all adopted his knick-name of Stinky for her for the rest of the trip.

After this, the day becomes a blur of rides and shows. We did everything (some things multiple times) with the exception of Slinky Dog which went down mid-morning and never started working again. We were done by 2:00, at which point I wanted to go back to the pool for a break. My 12 year old, however, guilted us into staying, claiming we created a monster by having her do 13 hour rope-drop-to-fireworks days since she was born, and she refused to leave lol. We let her win since it did look like it was going to rain and we were concerned the skyliner would be down anyway. So, to fill time, in addition to re-riding some rides, we also met all the characters, with either short or non-existent waits.

20230806_151709.jpg

IMG20230806133456.jpg

IMG20230806152122 (1).jpg

IMG20230806152605.jpg

Eventually, it was time for our dinner reservations at Woody’s Round Up BBQ. They were running behind schedule, so we had to wait an additional 20 minutes. Since we got there 15 minutes before, we were outside in the blazing sun and heat for over a half hour. Why these parks do not have more shade options available is mindboggling to me.

This was our first time at Woody’s and it was cute, but not someplace we will return. The theming was very cute – much like the queue for TSM. The food was good and plentiful. But it was expensive and I don’t think the “experience” makes it worth it. “Andy’s Coming” – where everyone freezes – only happened twice during the time we were there (and the second time was as we were leaving, so I’m assuming they intend for it to happen just once per visit), and the rest of the time it’s the characters coming over the speakers and talking about….random things lol. Like at one point Ham introduces the green army men….but there are no green army men so I’m not sure why they are being introduced? Another time you hear the characters worrying about a yard sale which turns out to be a lemonade stand….I don’t know. It was cute, but one and done for us (and if you look at my last trip report, you’ll see we take our toy story and “Andy’s Coming” very seriously!)

IMG_20230806_202230.jpg

After dinner, we had more time to kill so we did some shopping and rode ToT again. And then it was time for Fantasmic. It’s been years since I’ve seen it and I absolutely loved the changes. Happy it is back.

IMG20230806215656.jpg

After the show we made our way back to the skyliner and home to bed. A long day at the park, and rest was needed for the next day at Epcot!

Last edited:

lindawdw

All caught up with your TR and it looks like you certainly were able to accomplish a lot each day so far! I heard the heat has been brutal in FL this summer so I’m sure your pool time was refreshing. We haven’t done the new Toy Story restaurant but you’re not the first person to say that it was a probably one and done type experience. We loved the new Fantasmic too!!!

Minnie1986

Day 2! Animal Kingdom day!

We have not been to Animal Kingdom since 2019, and the last time we were there, we did a split day with HS, so we were excited to have a full day here this trip.

We rope dropped Expedition Everest and it was so empty we walked on twice in a row and were in almost empty trains both times. You can see from the picture - only the first few rows were filled! I quickly learned that riding EE back to back before breakfast is not the best idea :depressed:
View attachment 737366

Afterwards, we made our way over to Dinosaur, which was also walk on as it was still extra magic hours.

View attachment 737368

We then made our way over to It's Tough to Be a Bug (also walk-on), which traumatized my 9 year old for life. Oops. After that we headed to Kali River Rapids, which got us moderately wet the first time, so we went right back on to get even more wet. Still walk on both times. By this time the temps were in the high 90s so the water was necessary!

View attachment 737367

We started to make our way towards Pandora and saw Kevin on the way

View attachment 737369

Once in Pandora, we used our LL for Flight of Passage. None of us had ever ridden it before! My kids were always too little, and the lines were always WAY too long (and I never wanted to use up a Fastpass selection just for me). So this was the time! We loved it! It has become my 12 year old's favorite ride! I had to close my eyes at times, because I get motion sick on simulator rides like this (Star Tours does me in!). But it was pretty amazing and loved that you can feel the banshee breathing under your legs.

We were also eating our way across AK as we went. AK has the BEST quick serve food, IMO! (aside from the Food and Wine Festival booths at Epcot). We stopped for some cheeseburger pods at the Satu'li Canteen and they were delish. Next up was Navi River Journey which is pretty but always leaves me wanting something more.

At that point the heat was really getting to us. Here's a picture of us on our way to Rafiki's Planet Watch which accurately shows how we were all feeling at that moment lol.
View attachment 737371

I have to say that this section of the park has become a huge disappointment to me. IMO, there's no reason to head over there unless you are doing the animation experience. I miss how it used to be, when the focus was actually animals and nature. I miss the Grandmother Willow sound booths, where you could cozy up in the AC and listen to forest sounds in the dark. We basically walked in and walked right back out. It was too hot to be outside so we didn't even look at the petting zoo portion, but we have that experience at our local zoo so it wasn't necessary for us.

Took the train back and went on the safari. The animals were all super active, except for the lions which were no where to be found.
View attachment 737373

Then off to the Nomad lounge for the churros - there was a wait but it was worth it! Wow, those are some good churros.

View attachment 737374

Then off to see the Lion King show, which hasn't changed in 25 years but is always impressive.

Ran back over to Dinoland for the ice cream cookie sandwich. Yum, so good! Worth the extra steps to get there!

View attachment 737375

At this point, we had done everything we wanted to do. We decided to forgo the walking trails because it was too hot to be outside for that long. The timing for the Nemo and Feathered Friends in Flight shows hadn't worked out, and we were all melting and ready to be done. It was only 5:00, so we decided to call it a day and hit up the pool! We are usually rope drop to fireworks people (as you will see from the rest of the trip!) so leaving before closing is not normal for us! But the heat was oppressive and the pool was calling!

So we made our way back to Pop, for some pool time, roasting marshmallows, playing twister, and watching a movie (Inside Out) by the pool. We are never at the hotel long enough to take advantage of these activities, so it was really fun and different for us!

View attachment 737377
View attachment 737378

After the movie, it was time for bed! A long but early day, resting up for our big Hollywood Studios day on day 3!
I'll be dreaming about those churros until I'm there next yearo_O

Also, I couldn't agree more; AK absolutely has the BEST quick service food. Flame Tree BBQ will always be my favorite!

BraveGirl

Original Poster
Day 4! Epcot day!

Epcot is our favorite park so this trip we gave it plenty of time – in addition to a full day, we also had the after hours event planned for our last night. That allowed us to really take our time going through World Showcase and taking advantage of everything it had to offer. So, here goes….

Being on the skyliner, we started our day rope dropping Remy’s. We aren’t exactly sure what happened – our app said that the extra hours for resort guests were from 8:30-9, but when we got there at 8:15 people were already being let in, and when we got to Remy’s at 8:20, people were already coming off the ride and there was a 30 minute wait. We double and triple checked the app to make sure we weren’t wrong, and it definitely said 8:30, but it was definitely open earlier than that and somehow other people knew this lol. Either way, we were not stressed because we had a ton of time.

On the way, while everyone else was running to Remy’s, I spotted this little bit of pixie dust on a garbage can in France. Thanks to whoever left it, my kids were super excited!
20230807_082810.jpg

After Remy, we made our way over to Future World (you can’t make me call it anything else, I won’t do it!), rode Soaring and Living with the Land with no waits, and saw the new Awesome Planet movie, which I loved. The Land is my favorite pavilion and I could spend all day in there. We had tried for weeks to get a spot in Behind the Seeds and couldn’t get one, so I guess I’m not the only one who loves it there! We then used our LL for Test Track and then went over to Spaceship Earth before heading to GotG for our ILL. We decided to purchase the ILL because it was just me and my younger daughter riding and we didn’t want to make my mom and older daughter wait around too long while we stood in the virtual cue. Our song was Conga (new song for us!) and so much fun!

After that we decided to start making our way around the world! We decided not to rush to finish Future World because we were coming back in a few days and could do it all then. We had LOADS of time and really wanted to explore each pavilion, plus eat as much as possible along the way. We purchased Remy’s scavenger hunt (same as last year, but the prize is now a lunch box instead of a cup! And we had forgotten where most of the Remy’s were so it was still fun!). I also decided to do Emile’s Fromage Montage and commenced eating copious amounts of cheese while we walked. We started in Canada because we were SO HOT and needed to watch the movie to cool down. I really wish there were seats in those 360 theaters! Plus we had dinner reservations in Mexico so we wanted to end up there. Next up was the Beauty in the Beast Singalong in France, which was very cute.

From there we slowly made our way around the world, finding Remy’s and eating cheese. The heat was really unbearable so we took indoor breaks whenever possible. My mom hung out in the American pavilion watching Voices of Liberty while we found a few more Remy’s, and then we joined her for the American Adventure. In order to force my kids to pay attention, I bribed them with an American history quiz after – if they could answer the questions, they would get $10. My older daughter still fell asleep but the little one paid attention (even took notes!), answered all my questions and earned her money!

IMG20230807154635.jpg

We continued on, watched reflections of China (you can see from the pic how excited my older daughter was to watch yet ANOTHER educational movie 🤣 )and finally made our way over to Mexico for dinner. We ate at San Angel Inn, which is one of my favorite restaurants in the parks. We decided to leave the Gran Fiesta ride for our return visit, and made our way over to Norway for our Frozen LL.

IMG20230807200209.jpg

20230807_184828.jpg

IMG_20230807_205802.jpg

After that, we cashed in our scavenger hunts and collected our prizes, and finished the loop making it back to France for Epcot Forever viewing.
20230808_063543.jpg

20230808_063644.jpg

This show left us underwhelmed, although I LOVED the old school Ecpot rides soundtrack! But the visuals were definitely not as good as previous shows, in all of our opinions.

Once the show was over we headed straight to the skyliners for our return trip to Pop, super tired after another rope drop to fireworks day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom