Some obsessive fan questions about Frozen

morningstar

Original Poster
It's pretty obvious Arendelle is supposed to be in Norway. But where are Weselton and the Southern Isles?

Midway through the movie Kristoff explains that he was adopted by the trolls, and we see a bit of this in the beginning when the troll says, "Cuties! I'm gonna keep you." But who are the ice cutters in the opening scene? Kristoff seems to be associated with them. Are they not his family, or at least responsible for him?

What does little Anna say into the keyhole in the song, "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" It sounds like it could be, "It's cold enough to build a snowman," or, "It doesn't have to be a snowman."

If Hans' plot is to marry Anna and kill Elsa, why does he order everyone not to harm Elsa, and deflect the crossbow shot.

Which act of love unfreezes Anna? Is it Anna's blocking Hans' blow, or is it Elsa's embracing Anna? The former seems likely for many reasons, but the timing doesn't entirely make sense. She freezes solid after that, and unfreezes a minute later. Maybe it's just a delayed effect?

NMBC1993

I think Frozen uses the same plot elements as The Avengers. To quote Hulk from the HISHE series...

"Details...Not Important";)

But seriously, I was wondering about the Sven thing as well. Did his parents walk all the way home not realizing their kid was missing? They were too busy singing:p My question when watching the film was I understand Elsa being hid away from the world but why would Anna be under the same situation? The whole reason Anna is pent up with emotion for the party is because she never had fun around the castle, why didn't she just go into town and meet people? It's not like Princess Jasmine's situation where they make a point to keep her locked up. If she wanted to go play with kids, then just go do it. I'm pretty sure I saw other kids around besides just her sister. I understand that it plays into the "sisterhood" plot, but I feel that if Anna just went out the door, she would have had a normal life. Also, it would have made her a more tolerable character for me as I found her just way to hyperactive and annoying.

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

Which act of love unfreezes Anna? Is it Anna's blocking Hans' blow, or is it Elsa's embracing Anna? The former seems likely for many reasons, but the timing doesn't entirely make sense. She freezes solid after that, and unfreezes a minute later. Maybe it's just a delayed effect?

Anna's decision to sacrifice herself to save her sister constitutes an "act of true love".

morningstar

Original Poster
My question when watching the film was I understand Elsa being hid away from the world but why would Anna be under the same situation? The whole reason Anna is pent up with emotion for the party is because she never had fun around the castle, why didn't she just go into town and meet people? It's not like Princess Jasmine's situation where they make a point to keep her locked up. If she wanted to go play with kids, then just go do it. I'm pretty sure I saw other kids around besides just her sister. I understand that it plays into the "sisterhood" plot, but I feel that if Anna just went out the door, she would have had a normal life. Also, it would have made her a more tolerable character for me as I found her just way to hyperactive and annoying.

The exact details of their "imprisonment" are not entirely clear. We see that the parents leave the castle sometimes. Also I think in one scene Elsa is out of her room, but Anna is not there, so they both have the run of the castle, but Elsa chooses to stay in her room most of the time to avoid Anna. I think it's possible to interpret that both Anna and Elsa could come and go as they please. However, it's still a bit of an isolated life. Imagine they are probably "homeschooled", so day to day they don't have much occasion to socialize with other children. Also the commoner children might be too deferent to have a real open relationship with a princess. The normal social scene for princesses would be balls and such, which are not happening at Arendelle.

I just remembered another one. How old are Anna and Elsa? Elsa has just "come of age". Anna is apparently old enough (at least she thinks so) to get married. I would have thought the age when you can become queen would be the same as the age when you can get married, say 18. Or maybe being the olden days you could get married at a younger age, and Anna's about 16, which is okay by their standards but might make modern audiences say, "Hmm." Shall we suppose that marrying age is 18 and coronation age is 21?

StageFrenzy

The exact details of their "imprisonment" are not entirely clear. We see that the parents leave the castle sometimes. Also I think in one scene Elsa is out of her room, but Anna is not there, so they both have the run of the castle, but Elsa chooses to stay in her room most of the time to avoid Anna. I think it's possible to interpret that both Anna and Elsa could come and go as they please. However, it's still a bit of an isolated life. Imagine they are probably "homeschooled", so day to day they don't have much occasion to socialize with other children. Also the commoner children might be too deferent to have a real open relationship with a princess. The normal social scene for princesses would be balls and such, which are not happening at Arendelle.

I just remembered another one. How old are Anna and Elsa? Elsa has just "come of age". Anna is apparently old enough (at least she thinks so) to get married. I would have thought the age when you can become queen would be the same as the age when you can get married, say 18. Or maybe being the olden days you could get married at a younger age, and Anna's about 16, which is okay by their standards but might make modern audiences say, "Hmm." Shall we suppose that marrying age is 18 and coronation age is 21?

The age that you become King/Queen is when the old King/queen dies

AndyLL

Per Jennifer Lee Else is 8 and Anna 5 at the beginning and 21 & 18 at the coronation

plaz10

But seriously, I was wondering about the Sven thing as well. Did his parents walk all the way home not realizing their kid was missing? They were too busy singing:p My question when watching the film was I understand Elsa being hid away from the world but why would Anna be under the same situation? The whole reason Anna is pent up with emotion for the party is because she never had fun around the castle, why didn't she just go into town and meet people? It's not like Princess Jasmine's situation where they make a point to keep her locked up. If she wanted to go play with kids, then just go do it. I'm pretty sure I saw other kids around besides just her sister. I understand that it plays into the "sisterhood" plot, but I feel that if Anna just went out the door, she would have had a normal life. Also, it would have made her a more tolerable character for me as I found her just way to hyperactive and annoying.

Perhaps with the castle gates closed - Anna isn't able to leave. It kind of makes it seem that way since she's all excited and once Elsa orders the guards to open the gates....Anna runs outside.

Matt_Black

It's pretty obvious Arendelle is supposed to be in Norway. But where are Weselton and the Southern Isles?

On another board, someone quoted a review from a Norwegian who had watched the movie, who drew parallels between the film and Norway's history, particularly from a foreign relations standpoint. If I remember correctly, assuming his theory is accurate, Weselton would be in or near Denmark, and the Southern Isles would part of Sweden. I'd verify, but it's late for me right now, and I really don't want to slog through a hundred-page topic right now.

If Hans' plot is to marry Anna and kill Elsa, why does he order everyone not to harm Elsa, and deflect the crossbow shot.

Because at that point, he doesn't know where Anna is and has no legitimate claim to the throne. He needs Elsa alive long enough to figure out where she is, so he can marry her, or at least convince everyone that he did. If the guards killed Elsa and Anna had died, Hans is looking at a flat-out civil war as the Duke would no doubt try to seize power, and that doesn't necessarily favor Hans, who was looking to quietly seize it with subterfuge.

morningstar

Original Poster
The age that you become King/Queen is when the old King/queen dies

No, in the movie it was three years later that Elsa became queen, because, explicitly, she had "come of age". It's quite common in history. You don't put a three-year-old in charge of a country if his father dies young. Usually the solution is to have a "regent", someone who acts, theoretically, on behalf of the underaged monarch. That wasn't mentioned in the movie, but I would assume that was the case.

Matt_Black

No, in the movie it was three years later that Elsa became queen, because, explicitly, she had "come of age". It's quite common in history. You don't put a three-year-old in charge of a country if his father dies young. Usually the solution is to have a "regent", someone who acts, theoretically, on behalf of the underaged monarch. That wasn't mentioned in the movie, but I would assume that was the case.

Either that, or she was running things without an official coronation, until other elements of the Arendelle power structure basically said, "Look, we know you're not big on public appearances, but we HAVE to do this, and then you can go back to being the reclusive regal."

morningstar

Original Poster
Per Jennifer Lee Else is 8 and Anna 5 at the beginning and 21 & 18 at the coronation

Great, thanks. Given that World Showcase will be getting more Frozen, and World Showcase is known for booze-a-rama, and Elsa turns 21 in the movie, this gives me an idea. Elsa's "Coming of Age" Party sponsored by Absolut.

(Not serious.)

Elsa

I think it was Elsa's hugging and Crying that saved Elsa

How do kids take it when Elsa says nobody will see me cry in Let it go?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom