Some Changes to Mission Breakout

Michel Lichand

Original Poster
As a recent Disneyland local, I've come to love and adore Mission Breakout, but I've always felt as if the ride isn't fully using its easily re-programmable factor to its maximum potential (something that's demonstrated with Monsters After Dark). So setting aside the current bru-ha-ha with James Gunn (probably the real reason why any of this isn't happening anytime soon), here are some changes I'd do for Mission Breakout.

#1: Queue Video!
So the truth of the matter is that the line at Mission Breakout can get pretty long. That, to me, is not the worst offender, because by the time you do get inside the building, you get at most three to five minutes before you get sent into the pre-show area, meaning chances are you're not gonna see the queue video of the ride you've been in line for. Which is a shame, cause it's a pretty good queue video! Additionally, the idea that the Collector is displaying his sound collection in the cue might be fun and interesting, but I can barely count the number of times I've seen people paying attention to it. Which, again, sucks, because some people will spend at least an hour in that outside area.

My first change would be to add monitors to the outside queue area for guests to see the pre-show video. Not only that, but the pre-show video would also be expanded, with Apheta (the Collector's assistant) introducing video clips that the Collector has found throughout the galaxy, giving her own analysis on what these clips might mean. These clips could be fun easter eggs (Walt's dedication of Disneyland), historical clips, and even specially filmed clips portraying random scenes throughout the Marvel universe. I think the only downside to this is that it might be the costliest change, as it could involve adding some more cover to that area (something tells me it might be hard to see screens there on a sunny day).

#2: Rocket Scurrying Around
If you're on the loading area, just before you get into the gantry lifts, I think it'd be cool to occasionally hear Rocket scurrying around the ceiling. He could even crack occasional jokes about the people waiting in line, since he's also technically waiting for the gantry lift with you. Again, anything to help the guest pass the time.

#3: New Songs
I think everyone who's been on that ride more than once has asked themselves at some point or another what song they would add to the ride. I've got some suggestions, but in my mind, these are additions and not replacements. More options means less guests getting the same songs on repeat rides, right?
  1. Suffragette City by David Bowie. His song was a big part of the first movie and rumors floated around that the director had a plan to ask him to cameo on Vol. 2. The song is a great way to pay homage to the artist, plus it is a fantastic song that fits within the pulsing beat of the attraction. Plus, imagine the "wham bam thank you ma'am" section coincide with the big drop.
  2. Don't Stop Me Now by Queen. It's even used in the Awesome Dance Off, so you've got that going for it. This is a song that's practically begging to be synced up to an insane gantry lift.
  3. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough by Michael Jackson. Hear it and tell me you wouldn't want to have that triumphant solo come on during one of the biggest drops of the ride.
  4. Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Stevie Wonder. Again, also used on the Awesome Dance Off, and it matches the funky style of Give Up the Funk.
  5. Just the solo from Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Okay, this doesn't really count because, c'mon, it's literally just the solo from Free Bird... but also, c'mon, it's the solo from Free Bird!
  6. Hip to be Square by Huey Lewis and the News. Unorthodox choice, considering its common pop culture association with a certain psycho, plus it's not really classic rock. However, the song does have a rockin' beat and a solo section perfect for one of the video scenes. Plus, having the "hip, there, and everywhere" part coincide with the final drop would be a great feeling.
  7. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n' Roses. Look. It's Welcome to the Jungle. Did no one suggest this at WDI?!
  8. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister. Again, did no one REALLY suggest this song?
  9. Walk This Way by Run DMC/Aerosmith. This is a suggestion purely based on the fact that the song is already a great tool for building hype at Rock n' Roller Coaster, so the Run DMC version could be a great match for Mission Breakout.
  10. Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin. Thor: Ragnarok would make this choice a bit too obvious, but I think everyone would immediately forgive that once they get to the big drop to the sound of Robert Plant's wailing cry.
  11. Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles. This is the impossible option. There is no way the rights' holders would let a Beatles song be used in a theme park ride (or so I'd like to think), but I think Magical Mystery Tour is a great match for the ride (both in music contents and rhythm). Alternatively, Help. Because the Guardians need your help. Get it?
#4: Spruce Up the Exit Corridor
I get it. It's the exit corridor. No reason to do more than some blinking lights, a few portraits and audio of the Collector telling his workers to "shut off that noise". However, how about we take a page from Dinosaur and add a simple video screen showing camera footage of the Collector's staff trying to do what he's asked, or in some cases, use the chance to escape (since that's the storyline for the cast members, as they want to be free from the Collector's grasp too). So as to avoid people sticking around to watch the whole thing, have the screens be near the gift shop, so this is something only for people who have a lot of time to waste, per se.

#5: MonsterS After Dark
Look, it's called Monsters After Dark for a reason. So why do we only see one monster during the entire overlay? One wouldn't even need to change the plotline or bring back the actors to record more lines, just have a couple of more monsters pop out at the screens during the ride, that's all. Plus, the whole "see the monster from the opening of Ragnarok before the movie comes out" idea was cool, but it only worked for a very specific moment in 2017, if at all.

That should be it for now. Hope you all enjoyed reading this!

MANEATINGWREATH

As a recent Disneyland local, I've come to love and adore Mission Breakout, but I've always felt as if the ride isn't fully using its easily re-programmable factor to its maximum potential (something that's demonstrated with Monsters After Dark). So setting aside the current bru-ha-ha with James Gunn (probably the real reason why any of this isn't happening anytime soon), here are some changes I'd do for Mission Breakout.

#1: Queue Video!
So the truth of the matter is that the line at Mission Breakout can get pretty long. That, to me, is not the worst offender, because by the time you do get inside the building, you get at most three to five minutes before you get sent into the pre-show area, meaning chances are you're not gonna see the queue video of the ride you've been in line for. Which is a shame, cause it's a pretty good queue video! Additionally, the idea that the Collector is displaying his sound collection in the cue might be fun and interesting, but I can barely count the number of times I've seen people paying attention to it. Which, again, sucks, because some people will spend at least an hour in that outside area.

My first change would be to add monitors to the outside queue area for guests to see the pre-show video. Not only that, but the pre-show video would also be expanded, with Apheta (the Collector's assistant) introducing video clips that the Collector has found throughout the galaxy, giving her own analysis on what these clips might mean. These clips could be fun easter eggs (Walt's dedication of Disneyland), historical clips, and even specially filmed clips portraying random scenes throughout the Marvel universe. I think the only downside to this is that it might be the costliest change, as it could involve adding some more cover to that area (something tells me it might be hard to see screens there on a sunny day).

#2: Rocket Scurrying Around
If you're on the loading area, just before you get into the gantry lifts, I think it'd be cool to occasionally hear Rocket scurrying around the ceiling. He could even crack occasional jokes about the people waiting in line, since he's also technically waiting for the gantry lift with you. Again, anything to help the guest pass the time.

#3: New Songs
I think everyone who's been on that ride more than once has asked themselves at some point or another what song they would add to the ride. I've got some suggestions, but in my mind, these are additions and not replacements. More options means less guests getting the same songs on repeat rides, right?
  1. Suffragette City by David Bowie. His song was a big part of the first movie and rumors floated around that the director had a plan to ask him to cameo on Vol. 2. The song is a great way to pay homage to the artist, plus it is a fantastic song that fits within the pulsing beat of the attraction. Plus, imagine the "wham bam thank you ma'am" section coincide with the big drop.
  2. Don't Stop Me Now by Queen. It's even used in the Awesome Dance Off, so you've got that going for it. This is a song that's practically begging to be synced up to an insane gantry lift.
  3. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough by Michael Jackson. Hear it and tell me you wouldn't want to have that triumphant solo come on during one of the biggest drops of the ride.
  4. Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Stevie Wonder. Again, also used on the Awesome Dance Off, and it matches the funky style of Give Up the Funk.
  5. Just the solo from Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Okay, this doesn't really count because, c'mon, it's literally just the solo from Free Bird... but also, c'mon, it's the solo from Free Bird!
  6. Hip to be Square by Huey Lewis and the News. Unorthodox choice, considering its common pop culture association with a certain psycho, plus it's not really classic rock. However, the song does have a rockin' beat and a solo section perfect for one of the video scenes. Plus, having the "hip, there, and everywhere" part coincide with the final drop would be a great feeling.
  7. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n' Roses. Look. It's Welcome to the Jungle. Did no one suggest this at WDI?!
  8. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister. Again, did no one REALLY suggest this song?
  9. Walk This Way by Run DMC/Aerosmith. This is a suggestion purely based on the fact that the song is already a great tool for building hype at Rock n' Roller Coaster, so the Run DMC version could be a great match for Mission Breakout.
  10. Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin. Thor: Ragnarok would make this choice a bit too obvious, but I think everyone would immediately forgive that once they get to the big drop to the sound of Robert Plant's wailing cry.
  11. Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles. This is the impossible option. There is no way the rights' holders would let a Beatles song be used in a theme park ride (or so I'd like to think), but I think Magical Mystery Tour is a great match for the ride (both in music contents and rhythm). Alternatively, Help. Because the Guardians need your help. Get it?
#4: Spruce Up the Exit Corridor
I get it. It's the exit corridor. No reason to do more than some blinking lights, a few portraits and audio of the Collector telling his workers to "shut off that noise". However, how about we take a page from Dinosaur and add a simple video screen showing camera footage of the Collector's staff trying to do what he's asked, or in some cases, use the chance to escape (since that's the storyline for the cast members, as they want to be free from the Collector's grasp too). So as to avoid people sticking around to watch the whole thing, have the screens be near the gift shop, so this is something only for people who have a lot of time to waste, per se.

#5: MonsterS After Dark
Look, it's called Monsters After Dark for a reason. So why do we only see one monster during the entire overlay? One wouldn't even need to change the plotline or bring back the actors to record more lines, just have a couple of more monsters pop out at the screens during the ride, that's all. Plus, the whole "see the monster from the opening of Ragnarok before the movie comes out" idea was cool, but it only worked for a very specific moment in 2017, if at all.

That should be it for now. Hope you all enjoyed reading this!

Great stuff! I would, for me at least, rather have the monitors in the exterior queue have Apheta introducing the video clips the Collector had found and whatnot, to better introduce the character and give a concept in regard to what the Collector does... I would then have one to two monitors outside the entrance of the interior queue showing the main pre-show video on a consistent loop with the big monitor, thus consistently telling a lengthy story as you enter the lobby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom