Solo dining suggestions

petey

Original Poster
Hello WDW Experts,
I will be going to the World in early February and staying @ AKL-Jambo House. There will be some nights I will be doing solo dining and wanted
to get your opinions of where to go and feel comfortable (mainly dinner
time). I already have ADR's @ Boma & Sanaa. Also you like to hear some
of your favorite dishes. Lastly has anyone done the horseback riding over
@ Ft. Wilderness, and what did you think? I will be at the World for 9 days, and was looking for some variety beyond the rides, which are
awesome!!! Went on the Keys To The Kingdom tour already and suggest
it to any adults. I am a little hesitant to go on any Segway tours at this
time due to recent physical therapy on my knee. Merry Christmas, and
Happy New Year to all!!!! Enjoy Master Yoda's comments on things, so calling THE MASTER!!!!!!!:)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The Mustard-Seed encrusted Scallops and African Spiced Chicken at Sanaa were delicious!

Phonedave

For me, I am fine dining solo anywhere. I am a little leery about places like LTT or Ohana just because of they way they serve you family style, and well, its just me with a pile of food. But even there, it's not too bad.

V&A might be a little off putting to do solo, because the pacing of the meal and the atmosphere encourages conversation.

Braised Short Ribs at Chefs de France is a favorite for me.

Buffalo Tenderloin at Artist Point is another.

Sopa Azteca at San Angel Inn was quite good.

There used to be an EXCELLENT PEI Mussels in Grain Mustard at Brown Derby for lunch, but I think it's off the menu now.

As for horseback riding. We (me, and my two girls 9 and 12) did it this last summer. Very tame horses, very use to riders. The trail guides are also quite good. It is a very easy ride, just a walk - no cantering. Heck, you even mount and dismount from a platform.

We had a lot of fun with it. The guides know quite a bit about Ft. Wilderness as well. My kids want to do it again.

-dave

stlbobby

For solo dining I'd avoid the character meals, they just don't lend themselves to singles.

At DHS try the Tune-In Lounge. You can get the 50's Prime Time menu at the bar.

The Kona at the Poly has a nice vibe.

The Cali Grill will serve you in the lounge areas and you can enjoy the amazing view.

In the MK check-out the Plaza at the end of Mainstreet.

The Rose and Crown in EPCOT is boisterous and since everyone is part of the party a solo diner will fit right in.

The Rain Forrest and T-Rex Cafe's will serve at the bar.

Most of the resort lounges adjacent to restaurants will serve the menu, but every eatery will make a single feel just as welcome as a huge party.

Just have fun and enjoy the food.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I did a couple solo trips a few years back (OK, over a decade ago now) and many of the restaurants have changed, but here are my thoughts...

You get fantastic treatment anywhere you go. I was particularly big on visiting the lounges attached to restaurants where you can get the full menu (as mentioned by another, Tune-In Lounge was quite fun). I also was a regular at Rose and Crown Pub - I enjoyed going at off-peak times and chatting with the staff while eating.

Believe it or not, I did a couple character meals - and they were a blast! I was a mid-20s guy eating solo...the characters all played it up very well. You have to be pretty comfortable with yourself to sit in Chef Mickey's on your own, but if you are, it can be a lot of fun - I ended up being the respite for characters. After any particularly rowdy table, they'd come sit down at my table for a break. It was quite a blast.

Everywhere I went, I had a book in my back pocket during dull times. The more interesting the book, the better the conversation starter - of course, you have to make sure you are appearing open to converstion, not buried in the pages. Personally, I would avoid texting/browsing while eating alone - to me, that says 'I don't want to be social.'

Anyway, just a couple ideas...

moemoe55

Sit at the bar

I go solo to disney quite often. Dining is no problem at any of the restaurants. All you have to do is sit at the bar. They usually have the same menu and you don't need a reservation. You meet some very interesting people, or you can watch TV if available. Enjoy and save room for desert.:xmas:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom