Soarin' Over California

MKCustodial

Original Poster
I'd like to know what's this attraction all about, since everybody seems to say it's the only good thing in DCA, and how there are rumors that EPCOT may get a version of it.

In fact, I'll use this thread to clear up another doubt I have: StormRider. Can anyone explain? Thanks! :wave:

Lhriangel

Originally posted by MKCustodial
I'd like to know what's this attraction all about, since everybody seems to say it's the only good thing in DCA, and how there are rumors that EPCOT may get a version of it.

In fact, I'll use this thread to clear up another doubt I have: StormRider. Can anyone explain? Thanks! :wave:

Don't know about StormRider cause that's in DisneySeas but I can try to help with the confusions over Soarin'. (which is the best but not the only good thing at DCA :))

Anyways it's a attraction that uses a huge eyeshaped IMax screen to take you over california. Smells, breezes, etc are pipped in to give you the feeling you are really experiencing these areas.

The best part is.. you are hanggliding through this all. :) :) So basically it feels like you are hanggliding over california. It's an amazing experience.

jmarc63

Re: Re: Soarin' Over California

Originally posted by Angelique
Don't know about StormRider cause that's in DisneySeas but I can try to help with the confusions over Soarin'. (which is the best but not the only good thing at DCA :))

Anyways it's a attraction that uses a huge eyeshaped IMax screen to take you over california. Smells, breezes, etc are pipped in to give you the feeling you are really experiencing these areas.

The best part is.. you are hanggliding through this all. :) :) So basically it feels like you are hanggliding over california. It's an amazing experience.

Angelique, would it be safe to say that it is simular to the old Circlevision but with IMAX technology as it's main componet with the added sensory componets? is this a seated attraction like IMAX or do you stand like Circlevision?

Lhriangel

Re: Re: Re: Soarin' Over California

Originally posted by jmarc63
Angelique, would it be safe to say that it is simular to the old Circlevision but with IMAX technology as it's main componet with the added sensory componets? is this a seated attraction like IMAX or do you stand like Circlevision?

It is unlike anything you have ever experienced. You are seated but then you are lifted up so youare facing the screen (no one is bin front of you ..). I'm just not sure how to describe the way you are lifted up...

Testtrack321

Using the magic of ASCII art, I'lll demonstarte how it works....

_____Screen_____
000000Flying Area0
-----Railing-----------
Vehicles (3 in a row)

You sit like your on a B&M Susptended Coaster (think Alepengiest or Raptor), but this time all you have is a seatbelt and the seats are made out of mesh.

I'll try to get a picture ASAP of the vehicles.

Testtrack321

Yes and no. The only no is that the screen is above, below, and infront (and to the sides). So you can look to the left, up, and forward, not just down.

DCA Fan

Allow me to explain:

Soarin' Over California:
This attraction is like an "open air" ride simulator. A 3+ story tall Imax dome screen is in front of you, and you board in one of three rows of seats that resemble an inverted coaster train. At the beginning of the ride, you "take off" by swinging "into" the screen so that you pretty much are surrounded by the screen in your 180 degree viewing area. The "vehicle" leans left and right in unison with the film. To add to the realism, smells (Purchased in 200 lbs. crates from Torrance CA) are sprayed at you during corresponding moments on the ride.

Stormrider:
The premise of this ride is that you are trying to defuse a storm w/ an arrow (of sorts). This is like a second generation ride simulator. Take Star Tours, and kick it up several notches (BAM!). Not only is the ride on the screen, portholes on the doors also show action. When water starts leaking in the cabin, water really does leak into the cabin. Then the arrow is supposed to spin out and hit your ship, thus the arrow tip breaks down through the ceiling and sparks, wires, etc. go everywhere.

Both rides are very well done. Hope this cleared things up.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DCA Fan
Allow me to explain:

Soarin' Over California:
This attraction is like an "open air" ride simulator. A 3+ story tall Imax dome screen is in front of you, and you board in one of three rows of seats that resemble an inverted coaster train. At the beginning of the ride, you "take off" by swinging "into" the screen so that you pretty much are surrounded by the screen in your 180 degree viewing area. The "vehicle" leans left and right in unison with the film. To add to the realism, smells (Purchased in 200 lbs. crates from Torrance CA) are sprayed at you during corresponding moments on the ride.

DCA Fan, your description of this attraction is dead on! It is exactly that, an "open air ride simulator". No disrespect intended to anyone else, but I've never understood why so many people describe this attraction as being like a hang-gliding experience. The first time I ever rode it, I was disappointed because I had heard so much about how it was supposed to be "like you're hang-gliding!". So I went on the ride and one of the first things I noticed was that it was more like I was sitting on a bench seat. Nothing like a hang-glider! I was totally distracted by what I <i>thought</i> was poor themeing on Disney's part because I couldn't get over the fact that I didn't feel anything like I was on a hang-glider. But I later realized that nowhere that I'm aware of does Disney claim this is supposed to be a "hang-glider" ride. Yet everyone always describes it as that. Just wondering if I'm missing something.

In any event, having gotten past the "hang-glider" thing, I was able to enjoy the attraction much more for what it actually is. I think it is simply intended to feel like you are flying over different parts of California, and the vehicle in which you are making this journey is non-specific and certainly not integral to the "storyline".

I still do have one criticism of this attraction though: When you first walk into the actual theater, you immediately see the big blue domed screen. I wonder why they didn't do something to mask that until the attraction actually begins (For example, in Back to the Future, you start out in a little room, get into your Delorean, then a wall of fog is pumped in and when it dissipates, you are facing the screen). I'm wondering why Disney didn't do something similar to create that type of illusion.

Other than that, I recommend this attraction.

StormRider I haven't experienced. But based on DCA Fan's very accurate description of Soarin' Over California, I tend to think the description of StormRider is just as accurate. If so, then it sounds incredible!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom