Soarin' opinion and suggestions

mroman

Original Poster
First off let me say that Soarin' is my favorite Epcot ride but there are a couple things I think they need to improve upon.
I just rode it over the weekend and when the ride started the screen looked all dirty like someone threw something at it. About 5 seconds later it disappeared so obviously the film print is dirty. I know that movie theaters are capable of digitally projecting an image, why can't Disney invest in doing something like that to improve the ride experience? This goes for all attractions that have some sort of film, American Adventure, Hall of Presidents, etc.

Lastly, please please please take out the Los Angeles night traffic scene it doesn't fit anywhere in the movie and for some reason they sped up the film just in that part so it really makes you sick. Other than those two issues I love everything else about it.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Rob562

First off let me say that Soarin' is my favorite Epcot ride but there are a couple things I think they need to improve upon.
I just rode it over the weekend and when the ride started the screen looked all dirty like someone threw something at it. About 5 seconds later it disappeared so obviously the film print is dirty. I know that movie theaters are capable of digitally projecting an image, why can't Disney invest in doing something like that to improve the ride experience? This goes for all attractions that have some sort of film, American Adventure, Hall of Presidents, etc.

Lastly, please please please take out the Los Angeles night traffic scene it doesn't fit anywhere in the movie and for some reason they sped up the film just in that part so it really makes you sick. Other than those two issues I love everything else about it.

IMAX cannot be projected digitally, given current technology. Perhaps sometime down the road, but not at the moment.

IMAX resolution is far greater than your regular movie-theater film. Even if they used the most up-to-date, high-resolution digital projection technology, it's only 1/8 of the resolution needed to project IMAX in the same quality as the film print. (Not to mention resolution of that magnitude would require MASSIVE amounts of computing power and data transfer rates)

Perhaps in another decade...

As for other attractions, there are rumors that some film-based attractions will be getting digital upgrades in the near-future. MuppetVision is supposed to be the first.

-Rob

ieffectfor_disn

Lastly, please please please take out the Los Angeles night traffic scene it doesn't fit anywhere in the movie and for some reason they sped up the film just in that part so it really makes you sick.

I feel the same way about that scene! I have to stop looking at the screen, haha

mroman

Original Poster
I wasn't referring to IMAX technology but rather something like DLP. I've been to a couple of movies this year POTC: At World's End which was in DLP and that was a clean transfer.

ears2you

i sorta agree
AA needs something because the film literally shakes and it makes you think the place is slightly swaying

and yeah the traffic scene gets me sick too but its not really that long

4merEpcotCM

The answer to your questions...

I was on the opening team for this attraction back in 2005 and I can explain this for you....

The film is a direct lift of the film for the DL attraction, "Soarin' over California". This attraction is meant to showcase the beauty of the state of California, the main objective of DCA...the park that it is located in. As such, all the show scenes in the film are impressive locations throughout that state. While not a nature scene like the rest, it is a fanatstic sight that fits into the theme of the movie...

In terms of the shakiness, there is a really good reason for this. When they filmed the scene they actually had to clear the airspace around LA for like 20 minutes. Disney had arranged for 2 tries, a practice run and a final run. The practice run was obviously the version we see in the ride now. The reason is that they caused so much chaos for LA airtraffic controllers that they denied them the promised second chance. The imagineers really wanted that shot, so they thought that if it were sped up, it might still be usable. But they hate how it looks, they told us when they were still setting it up that they are embarrassed by it.

There are other cool things about the film, but I hope that clears a little up for you. :wave:

chels26

i have a suggestion.. and a complaint..

i rode it last sunday, it was the first ride we went on at wdw. We were also taking newbies to Disney and were really excited to show them Soarin. We decided to wait in standby, which said it was a 50 minute wait. Boyyyy were they wrong. We litereally didn't move in the line for over an hour. They just let the FP people on. My family was so aggrivated. Long story short, 2 hours later we finally get to the front of the line. Where we were stopped for 15 minutes, just to let the people in the FP line go. OKay , love FP when i have it. But seriously, the CMs needed to do something about that, because standby hardly even moved! I dont mind waiting in long lines, if they are moving, even at the slowest pace possible with occasional stops. But being stuck in the SAME spot was really annoying. Sorry i just had to complain about that.

but any way, i do agree about the traffic scene. I always get really dizzy during that part, which stinks because my favorite part is when you go over disneyland. And im never really.. un-dizzified at that point.

hcswingfield

I was on the opening team for this attraction back in 2005 and I can explain this for you....

The film is a direct lift of the film for the DL attraction, "Soarin' over California". This attraction is meant to showcase the beauty of the state of California, the main objective of DCA...the park that it is located in. As such, all the show scenes in the film are impressive locations throughout that state. While not a nature scene like the rest, it is a fanatstic sight that fits into the theme of the movie...

In terms of the shakiness, there is a really good reason for this. When they filmed the scene they actually had to clear the airspace around LA for like 20 minutes. Disney had arranged for 2 tries, a practice run and a final run. The practice run was obviously the version we see in the ride now. The reason is that they caused so much chaos for LA airtraffic controllers that they denied them the promised second chance. The imagineers really wanted that shot, so they thought that if it were sped up, it might still be usable. But they hate how it looks, they told us when they were still setting it up that they are embarrassed by it.

There are other cool things about the film, but I hope that clears a little up for you. :wave:

That's fascinating! Sometimes I forget how much work and planning goes into making the magic I experience in the parks.

i rode it last sunday, it was the first ride we went on at wdw. We were also taking newbies to Disney and were really excited to show them Soarin. We decided to wait in standby, which said it was a 50 minute wait. Boyyyy were they wrong. We litereally didn't move in the line for over an hour. They just let the FP people on. My family was so aggrivated. Long story short, 2 hours later we finally get to the front of the line. Where we were stopped for 15 minutes, just to let the people in the FP line go. OKay , love FP when i have it. But seriously, the CMs needed to do something about that, because standby hardly even moved! I dont mind waiting in long lines, if they are moving, even at the slowest pace possible with occasional stops. But being stuck in the SAME spot was really annoying. Sorry i just had to complain about that.

but any way, i do agree about the traffic scene. I always get really dizzy during that part, which stinks because my favorite part is when you go over disneyland. And im never really.. un-dizzified at that point.

Standby is rarely a good way to get on soarin' Have made that mistake several times.... the only time it has paid off was then it was near the closing time and we were in the last group to ride it. Seems the CM working there often ride it themselves after it closes and there was more than enough room for us to ride it again.... Now as slow as it was getting on it the first time, nothing was as great as getting a repeat ride with no wait and the chance to pick the seats we wanted (the ones in front are our favorite).

mroman

Original Poster

Thanks for the explanation, I'd be curious as to hear about some other things about the film if you don't mind. I was fascinated when I learned that the lead Imagineer thought up the ride by building a mock up of it using an erector set. Now when I sit down I always look around at how it's built.

Mark

jedimaster1227

As for other attractions, there are rumors that some film-based attractions will be getting digital upgrades in the near-future. MuppetVision is supposed to be the first.

-Rob

From what I was told, American Adventure was the first. Anyone notice the clarity of the picture since the show came back from its short refurb? The picture quality (when meant to look normal) looks amazing! They upgraded the projector during the downtime. Next is supposed to be MuppetVision.

The new games they have going in the queue line help a LOT with the flow of the FP and stand by lines merging. When a game starts, a CM will stop the line before you get into the blue tunnel. Everyone in the standby line is able to play. I believe they even raised the walls between the standby and fastpass lines so that the fastpass people keep moving. It really makes the time in line go by faster.

jt04

From what I was told, American Adventure was the first. Anyone notice the clarity of the picture since the show came back from its short refurb? The picture quality (when meant to look normal) looks amazing! They upgraded the projector during the downtime. Next is supposed to be MuppetVision.

I think these kinds of upgrades are GREAT! It tells me there is a long term plan and after they refurb all the existing attractions that need it they then will add new ones. That is my theory anyway:cool:

dave2822

Thanks for the explanation, I'd be curious as to hear about some other things about the film if you don't mind. I was fascinated when I learned that the lead Imagineer thought up the ride by building a mock up of it using an erector set. Now when I sit down I always look around at how it's built.

Mark

If you are standing in front of your seat, back to the screen, and look up, you surely can marvel at what a MONSTER this attraction is in terms of engineering.

As far as the attraction goes, it is one of my favorites in all of WDW.

And as far as that one particular scene, I wouldn't worry, it won't be like that forever ... :lookaroun ... it may change soon ... :lookaroun ...

Then again maybe not :)

mroman

Original Poster
One thing I really love is the smells of the pine and oranges. Every time I smell the oranges I find myself thinking of Horizons.

Tom Morrow

Wow! Thanks for that info! I always wondered why the LA traffic scene was so fast, rough, and out of place!

It doesn't get me dizzy, but it does break the flow of the film. Suddenly you are going waaayy faster than a Hang Glider can go.

disneytopdog

One thing I really love is the smells of the pine and oranges. Every time I smell the oranges I find myself thinking of Horizons.

I have sworn up and down that there is a salty smell pumped in during the ocean wave sequence...IS THERE, OR IS IT JUST MY OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION AND NOSE????????????????

mroman

Original Poster
I have sworn up and down that there is a salty smell pumped in during the ocean wave sequence...IS THERE, OR IS IT JUST MY OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION AND NOSE????????????????

Actually you're right. If you look here at the wikipedia entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soarin

It says "The Monterey and Malibu scenes have the scent of a sea breeze while the Palm Springs and Anza-Borrego scenes feature the scent of sagebrush. "

disneytopdog

I am not crazy!!!!!

I have no idea what sagebrush smells like.....I will keep my nose open for this one in September....Thanks for the link

I think the traffic scene is a good part of Cali that they added into Soarin'.

For the people that say they get dizzy/sick watching the LA traffic scene, when you know it's coming up, you can always close your eyes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom