So, Universal buys an ad for the Superbowl

Quentin Disney

Original Poster
Looks like Universal is trying to make a name for itself in the eyes of the general public. They just purchased ad space for this year's Super Bowl. This is quite a bold move for the resort IMO. The question remains, will it payoff in the long run?

It's obvious that Universal Orlando does not want to be under WDW's reign any longer. The new billboards all spotted along 1-4 can display that.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...011502jan15.story?coll=orl-business-headlines

disneyquestfan

Thanks for the heads up Quentin. I'm glad to see it, the possibilty of more money coming in means more great things from one of my favorite parks.

I hope the commerical is well edited showing people how cool it really is. Hopefully they will give the info needed to get their video which is well done.

NowInc

I know im going to get yelled at for this...but...

I see it as yet ANOTHER attempt to copycat disney...how many years now have disney been running ads during major sporting events?

I also think it is a desperation move to try and gain intrest in the parks, seeing how their attendence figures were "not so great" the last year....

Quentin Disney

Original Poster
Originally posted by NowInc

I see it as yet ANOTHER attempt to copycat disney...how many years now have disney been running ads during major sporting events?

I would not believe that Universal is trying to "copycat" Disney, they are simply in compettition to grab the attention of potential theme park visitors.

Is right now Disney is creatively bankrupt for the most part in their theme parks. If more people begin to see the alternative is Universal, then hopefully it will bring a wake-up call to DIS management and rise to the occassion.

ksdave

NowInc, I don't believe USF is "copying" WDW anymore. To me, they seem to be in the forefront with the latest and greatest over the last several years, with WDW trying to catch-up. Which really bugs me, since I'm a Disney stockholder.
But, because of USF's forward thinking, I'll be spending my one-day visit next month to Orlando at USF and IOA, not at WDW.
Quentin Disney, I hope you're correct about the wake-up call. My stock account could sure use a boost!

Originally posted by NowInc

I also think it is a desperation move to try and gain intrest in the parks, seeing how their attendence figures were "not so great" the last year....
thats the hole point you put an ad during he superbow and yu hopefully get more attendence.

mickeyman

universal can advertise all they want but where was tom brady the patriots quarterback after he won? you guessed it. side by side with the mouse.

NowInc

Ah..well...did anyone see the ads? I heard they were very un-impressive....in fact..it made me appreciate Disney even more.

Tom Morrow

Is it a crime for Universal to try and boost their attendance?? You guys sure are acting like it is. While we're at it, lets yell at Pepsi for buying commercials during the superbowl instead of Coke!

Lance

Of course, Universal can compete, they just can't compete during the Super Bowl.

Universal can have as many commercials they want during the game, but disney get's everything because they get the SUPER BOWL MVP! Tom Brady isn't going to Universal, he's going to WDW.

wdwmaniac

Was there a Disney World Commercial at the end with the winning team going to WDW? Universal I think did copy Disney a bit but I it looks like they copied in there resort video I have one before IOA opened and some old hosted it in the new oe a "cast member" opens it. And is set up like Disney WDW's video.

NowInc

I didnt say it was a crime that they are trying to boost attendence..I just said the commercials sucked...

Universal is trying to play "catch up" and are failing miserably...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom