So Many Questions

tabby1222

I have been reading forever, finally posting! I am celebrating the start of a long adoption process, after a long foster care situation of my boys, and trying to plan a trip!!!!

Purchasing AP for myself, DD (Adult), DS (5), DS(4), and Mom(Old as dirt? :)). Mom lives about an hour from WDW. Will be visiting this summer, and staying with her. Will have follow up trips over winter break, and next summer, so AP makes most sense.

Planning an on-site trip for October, so we can do MNSSHP. Trying to decide where to stay. Thinking Pop, for affordability and transportation. Would love to do WL, but $..... I don't want to rely on discounts that may not be there. Any thoughts? With the other trips, how long? I am a teacher, but have already gotten approval to use some time. It seems silly to travel 15 hours for 3-4 days, but a week may be overkill with going over the summer for several days, as well as other trips.... (If WDW can ever be overkill??)

Also, thinking about DDP, so I don't have to front a bunch of cash and panic about the money leaving my account every single time my fam eats. These boys eat like horses. So do I save some of the character dining for this trip, rather than paying out of pocket over the summer?

Thanks in advance, super excited to be to the point in this journey to start asking questions!!!

GVentola

How wonderful of you to adopt those boys! I hope this is the start of a great life together!

I'd say Pop Century would be better than Wilderness Lodge for the little ones. The deluxe quality of WL may be something they don't notice at that young age, while the crazy architecture of Pop Century should be something fun for them.

Upvote 0

tabby1222

Original Poster
Thanks!!! I am so lucky to have these boys! I looked into AOA, but holy $$$$..... Trying to keep it on the cheaper side. I am just so not super excited about Pop. And I hate the idea of a split stay with littles.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
First point I want to raise - have you run the numbers for the annual pass?

I found for my situation that we broke even with 3 trips and thanks to the room discounts we actually saved money. I'm sure you have, but also consider flight costs as well, as that will need to factor in on whether you can swing another disney trip.

Disney's Deluxe Dinner Plan - this is almost always the most expensive option. Cash tends to be the least expensive. The difference may be that you're kids are under 10. Disney considers 10 year olds as adults and you must pay the adult meal program for them. You can make the Dinner Plan work for you, but only if you load up on charachter meals and what not. Just keep in mind that the meal plan does not cover tips and those add up rather quickly.

Check out this thread: So after calculations, the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan is cheaper. The OP forgot that you're on the hook to pay the tip and he even adjusted his opinion that you save money on the DPP. Also many of show how/why its more expensive.

Without repeating too much of what I posted, I showed that for my 9 night (10 day) stay. it's going to be cheaper to avoid the meal plans. As I mentioned part of that reason is because I need to buy 4 adult plans (even though my kids are only 12)

The estimation that I posted:
No Plan: $3,000
Quick Service: $3,480
Dinner Plan: $3,424
Deluxe Dinner Plan: 4,427.00

While these are only estimates you can see that I'm spending 1,400 dollars more on the DPP then cash out of my pocket. Here's My Post detailing it

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Also, thinking about DDP, so I don't have to front a bunch of cash and panic about the money leaving my account every single time my fam eats. These boys eat like horses. So do I save some of the character dining for this trip, rather than paying out of pocket over the summer?
Another option - buy Disney gift cards before your trip(s) and use those to pay for the meals.

If you have an AP, look into the Tables in Wonderland card for savings.

Upvote 0
I have been reading forever, finally posting! I am celebrating the start of a long adoption process, after a long foster care situation of my boys, and trying to plan a trip!!!!

Purchasing AP for myself, DD (Adult), DS (5), DS(4), and Mom(Old as dirt? :)). Mom lives about an hour from WDW. Will be visiting this summer, and staying with her. Will have follow up trips over winter break, and next summer, so AP makes most sense.

Planning an on-site trip for October, so we can do MNSSHP. Trying to decide where to stay. Thinking Pop, for affordability and transportation. Would love to do WL, but $..... I don't want to rely on discounts that may not be there. Any thoughts? With the other trips, how long? I am a teacher, but have already gotten approval to use some time. It seems silly to travel 15 hours for 3-4 days, but a week may be overkill with going over the summer for several days, as well as other trips.... (If WDW can ever be overkill??)

Thanks in advance, super excited to be to the point in this journey to start asking questions!!!

What a wonderful way to celebrate!

October is my favorite time of year to be WDW. I love all the Halloween decorations! I did do MNSSHP when the kids where about your boy's ages. I have to tell you that it was fun but very expensive for the time that they got to enjoy it. After 11:00 my kids were done for. So we headed back to resort after fireworks. If you do decide to go anyway, make sure you arrive at the party at 4:00PM when they start letting guests in.

I would stay at WDW at least a week, but my ideal trip is 9-10 days. I like to schedule a couple of off days in between my park days to enjoy the pools and the downtown area. One week's schedule would be: 2 days at MK, 2 Days at Epcot, 1 day HS and 1 Day Ak.

As for which resort, I would suggest Pop Century if budget is an issue, That being said, I much prefer Port Orlenes French Quarter in the moderate resorts category. I would choose this over WL. First of all, it is the smallest resort on Disney Property and only has one bus stop so no waiting for the bus to circle the property to pick up other guests. It also makes all amenities very close and easy to reach from your room. The pool has a Dragon slide which my kids love and there is a splash area for them to enjoy. Plus there is a boat that brings you straight to Disney Springs which is nice if you want to do something else other than the parks. You can also use the facilities over at its sister resort PO Riverside.

I would not spend on the DDP unless you get free dining in a promotion of some kind. There are usually specials for free dining released around those dates. Paying OPP is much less expensive in the end and is less limiting. With the tips not being included in DDP it adds up fast. Plus what if you want to eat a bunch of snacks instead of eating a full meal for lunch which often happens at Epcot with the Food and Wine festival during October. My boys are big eaters too and paying OPP allows me to get them adult meals if I want instead of those tiny kids meals. Just saying...
I personally would check the menus of the restaurants you plan on eating at, calculate an average of $$$ you will spend on food each day, save up for that and then not worry about it.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

tabby1222

Original Poster
Another option - buy Disney gift cards before your trip(s) and use those to pay for the meals.

If you have an AP, look into the Tables in Wonderland card for savings.

I did look into this, but I am concerned the money would not even out to justify it.

I feel like spending $150 for a card to save me money is just another way to get my money.........

First point I want to raise - have you run the numbers for the annual pass?

I found for my situation that we broke even with 3 trips and thanks to the room discounts we actually saved money. I'm sure you have, but also consider flight costs as well, as that will need to factor in on whether you can swing another disney trip.

Disney's Deluxe Dinner Plan - this is almost always the most expensive option. Cash tends to be the least expensive. The difference may be that you're kids are under 10. Disney considers 10 year olds as adults and you must pay the adult meal program for them. You can make the Dinner Plan work for you, but only if you load up on charachter meals and what not. Just keep in mind that the meal plan does not cover tips and those add up rather quickly.

Check out this thread: So after calculations, the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan is cheaper. The OP forgot that you're on the hook to pay the tip and he even adjusted his opinion that you save money on the DPP. Also many of show how/why its more expensive.

Without repeating too much of what I posted, I showed that for my 9 night (10 day) stay. it's going to be cheaper to avoid the meal plans. As I mentioned part of that reason is because I need to buy 4 adult plans (even though my kids are only 12)

The estimation that I posted:
No Plan: $3,000
Quick Service: $3,480
Dinner Plan: $3,424
Deluxe Dinner Plan: 4,427.00

While these are only estimates you can see that I'm spending 1,400 dollars more on the DPP then cash out of my pocket. Here's My Post detailing it

I have run the numbers for the pass, and no flights to worry about, we drive. Flights are WAY too expensive for four people, and my kiddos travel like champs by this point!

The dining plan is my biggest unknown at this point. I know that we can make it work for us, but I am so afraid that we will be so tied to reservations and using it that we will be annoyed and over it by end of trip.

Upvote 0

tabby1222

Original Poster
What a wonderful way to celebrate!

October is my favorite time of year to be WDW. I love all the Halloween decorations! I did do MNSSHP when the kids where about your boy's ages. I have to tell you that it was fun but very expensive for the time that they got to enjoy it. After 11:00 my kids were done for. So we headed back to resort after fireworks. If you do decide to go anyway, make sure you arrive at the party at 4:00PM when they start letting guests in.

I would stay at WDW at least a week, but my ideal trip is 9-10 days. I like to schedule a couple of off days in between my park days to enjoy the pools and the downtown area. One week's schedule would be: 2 days at MK, 2 Days at Epcot, 1 day HS and 1 Day Ak.

As for which resort, I would suggest Pop Century if budget is an issue, That being said, I much prefer Port Orlenes French Quarter in the moderate resorts category. I would choose this over WL. First of all, it is the smallest resort on Disney Property and only has one bus stop so no waiting for the bus to circle the property to pick up other guests. It also makes all amenities very close and easy to reach from your room. The pool has a Dragon slide which my kids love and there is a splash area for them to enjoy. Plus there is a boat that brings you straight to Disney Springs which is nice if you want to do something else other than the parks. You can also use the facilities over at its sister resort PO Riverside.

I would not spend on the DDP unless you get free dining in a promotion of some kind. There are usually specials for free dining released around those dates. Paying OPP is much less expensive in the end and is less limiting. With the tips not being included in DDP it adds up fast. Plus what if you want to eat a bunch of snacks instead of eating a full meal for lunch which often happens at Epcot with the Food and Wine festival during October. My boys are big eaters too and paying OPP allows me to get them adult meals if I want instead of those tiny kids meals. Just saying...
I personally would check the menus of the restaurants you plan on eating at, calculate an average of $$$ you will spend on food each day, save up for that and then not worry about it.

Hope that helps!

My plan on the day that is MNSSHP is definitely a mid-day nap! Then back for the party. We are going to need to be there right away, apparently, for meeting some of the characters we want to meet.

I did look into the Port Orleans resort, but I am worried about it being less kid friendly, due to a calmer theming.... AM I way wrong here?

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
My plan on the day that is MNSSHP is definitely a mid-day nap! Then back for the party. We are going to need to be there right away, apparently, for meeting some of the characters we want to meet.

I did look into the Port Orleans resort, but I am worried about it being less kid friendly, due to a calmer theming.... AM I way wrong here?

All Disney resorts are kid friendly, even the GF. I would love to stay at POR one day, it appeals more to me than POFQ. But I really wouldn't worry about whether a resort is kid friendly!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Ok here's my 2 cents. If you are going to be in the parks for more than 10 days this year, it's worth it to get the AP. As far as a dining plan, if you get the AP, forget the dining plan and get the Tables of wonder card to save $$.
As far as accommodations:
Go with a value such as Pop Century. If you want a little more but you want to keep it kid friendly go with Port Orleans Riverside. Here's why:
It's cheaper to get a standard room there than at Art of Animation family suite OR All star Music family suite.
POR has not only the large Ole man Island pool, but 5 other "quiet" pools located on property. It also has one of the larger kids playgrounds, an arcade, boat rental, bike rentals, carriage rides, surrey bikes and you can take the boat to Disney Springs from there. It has a food court and a sit down restaurant. And it's a short bus ride to any of the parks.

Pam

Upvote 0

Legendary

Keep in mind the dining plan is limiting. Sometimes I’ll get a kids meal for lunch especially if we have a buffet dinner planned. We might also split entrees to make for a lighter lunch so that we have room for some snacks. When we did do the dining plan we alway had leftover credits and ended up using them on bagged candy that we really didn’t want. There are some good sites out there that post frequent menu updates and you can get a rough estimate of how much paying oop will cost you.

Another money saving tip. You can purchase gift cards from Sams Club or Target (using your red card) to get them at a discount. We have saved hundreds this way.

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

Will your mother be with you on the October trip? If so, I think that you were only allowed 4 people per room at Pop unless the 5th is under 3 (someone please correct me if I am wrong.) Even if it is allowed, it would be a very tight fit for five. If it is just 4, than Pop will be fine and you will all enjoy it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tabby1222

Original Poster
Will your mother be with you on the October trip? If so, I think that you were only allowed 4 people per room at Pop unless the 5th is under 3 (someone please correct me if I am wrong.) Even if it is allowed, it would be a very tight fit for five. If it is just 4, than Pop will be fine and you will all enjoy it!

No mom staying with us. She would drive in the days she met us, due to work/animal constraints. :)

Thank you all for thoughtful responses! I am going to look at TIW again, and do some aggressive menu pricing for the stuff we know we want to do.

Upvote 0

POFQ is kid friendly. Check out the the pics of the pool and aquatic play area: http://www.portorleans.org/doubloon-lagoon.php .The kids will have a blast there. I stayed at POR too and my kids really preferred POFQ. The boat to Disney Springs is a huge bonus too.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom