So let me get this straight....

draybook

Original Poster
So much info here but I was hoping to condense it into this post. Ok, so we have our package set for September. We will be upgrading to APs on the night that we check in by going to Guest Services at DtD, since it will probably be close to 10pm. Now, I know that our package already has our info and memory Maker attached to the MB's already, correct? So when we upgrade to Aps we will get a new set of MBs that have to be linked to the MDE account. So the information that was attached to the original MBs will then transfer over to the AP bands, correct?

I'm hoping this will be as seamless as possible.

jakeman

So much info here but I was hoping to condense it into this post. Ok, so we have our package set for September. We will be upgrading to APs on the night that we check in by going to Guest Services at DtD, since it will probably be close to 10pm. Now, I know that our package already has our info and memory Maker attached to the MB's already, correct? So when we upgrade to Aps we will get a new set of MBs that have to be linked to the MDE account. So the information that was attached to the original MBs will then transfer over to the AP bands, correct?

Mu understanding is that you may not get new MB at the point of upgrade, but your MB that are attached to your room reservation will have all your information, including your APs. You will probably get "AP" MB a few weeks later.

We are at 3 pairs of MB each now and they so far are interchanging seamlessly.

arko

Does it have tickets attached as well?

cw1982

My understanding, in terms of "AP bands" versus others, is that the bands all function the same, so any band that is linked to your name within your account will register as belonging to you when scanned. It can be an AP band or the one tied to your hotel reservation, or one you happen to buy for the heck of it if you choose to do so, but the bands themselves don't have any bearing on your account. They basically all just work like key fobs on a wristband.

In other words, since it's the band being linked to your account, not the account being transferred to your magic band, there should never be an issue of everything not "transferring over." Anything linked to one account should work the same.

arko

My understanding, in terms of "AP bands" versus others, is that the bands all function the same, so any band that is linked to your name within your account will register as belonging to you when scanned. It can be an AP band or the one tied to your hotel reservation, or one you happen to buy for the heck of it if you choose to do so, but the bands themselves don't have any bearing on your account. They basically all just work like key fobs on a wristband.

In other words, since it's the band being linked to your account, not the account being transferred to your magic band, there should never be an issue of everything not "transferring over." Anything linked to one account should work the same.

technically its attached to your ticket or AP which is then linked to your account. So there is the question of wheter changing your tickets forwards all the links over to your new ticket/AP. I am guessing it would but might be worth a call to the FP+ hotline to verify.

cw1982

technically its attached to your ticket or AP which is then linked to your account. So there is the question of wheter changing your tickets forwards all the links over to your new ticket/AP. I am guessing it would but might be worth a call to the FP+ hotline to verify.

Hmm... I always thought the bands were strictly linked to the account, which was where the link to the ticket is. Interesting.

Minthorne

I don't think this is correct.

Tickets are associated to your MDE account.

Magic Bands are associated to you MDE account.

I have several bands from many stays including an AP band and they all work interchangably because they are all active and associated.

Tickets are not directly associated to bands.

arko

I don't think this is correct.

Tickets are associated to your MDE account.

Magic Bands are associated to you MDE account.

I have several bands from many stays including an AP band and they all work interchangably because they are all active and associated.

Tickets are not directly associated to bands.

If you look at your MDE account it has a section for MB and cards its a little vague and lists your MB above your AP card number, it maybe just listed all your media attached to your account and I am reading it wrong.

LAM378

So when we upgrade to Aps we will get a new set of MBs that have to be linked to the MDE account.

I upgraded my ticket to an AP at MK last month and didn't get a new set of MBs on the spot. They gave me a normal ticket, but I was able to use my original resort MBs for charging/FP/hotel door. I checked my MDE account later that day and it showed me having the AP, not the original 5-day ticket I'd started with. I customized the AP bands when I got home and they were shipped to me.

Just a side note: to get the 10% AP merchandise discount you have to whip out the actual plastic ticket (and usually your ID, too). I don't know why this isn't linked to MBs but don't leave that ticket behind if you intend to shop :).

disney4life2008

I upgraded my ticket to an AP at MK last month and didn't get a new set of MBs on the spot. They gave me a normal ticket, but I was able to use my original resort MBs for charging/FP/hotel door. I checked my MDE account later that day and it showed me having the AP, not the original 5-day ticket I'd started with. I customized the AP bands when I got home and they were shipped to me.

Just a side note: to get the 10% AP merchandise discount you have to whip out the actual plastic ticket (and usually your ID, too). I don't know why this isn't linked to MBs but don't leave that ticket behind if you intend to shop :).

Good points here. This past January (granted APs now have access to MM+) they still check ID when using the discounts. It caught me off guard initially but now I know. They also crosscheck the ID when parking in the park lots. Rule of thumb - carry your ID and plastic card anyway.

I am a little confused though - I have both the AP MB and my room MB for my August trip. Do they both contain the same information? Do I need to bring both with me to the parks?

Rob562

If you look at your MDE account it has a section for MB and cards its a little vague and lists your MB above your AP card number, it maybe just listed all your media attached to your account and I am reading it wrong.

It's showing the AP card on the same page because that's essentially an RFID card associated with your account. The AP itself isn't associated directly with that card anymore, it's associated with your account. So you can then use *any* Band or RFID card associated with your profile to do anything you'd need to tap-to-scan.

Those cards are essentially what they'd give someone who didn't want a Band. I have one Band and one card on my profile now. The card is what I got from my old AP that expired last November. This coming trip I'll be getting two more Bands (two separate hotel reservations). All three Bands and the Card should all work interchangeably for hotel room entry, park entry, FP+ and room charging.

-Rob

arko

It's showing the AP card on the same page because that's essentially an RFID card associated with your account. The AP itself isn't associated directly with that card anymore, it's associated with your account. So you can then use *any* Band or RFID card associated with your profile to do anything you'd need to tap-to-scan.

Those cards are essentially what they'd give someone who didn't want a Band. I have one Band and one card on my profile now. The card is what I got from my old AP that expired last November. This coming trip I'll be getting two more Bands (two separate hotel reservations). All three Bands and the Card should all work interchangeably for hotel room entry, park entry, FP+ and room charging.

-Rob

yeah looking at it again that is what it is.

Rob562

I am a little confused though - I have both the AP MB and my room MB for my August trip. Do they both contain the same information? Do I need to bring both with me to the parks?

Bands contain zero information pertaining to room keys, FP+, admission tickets, etc. They only have a serial number. When you scan them with a reader, the system looks up the profile associated with that Band and then gets whatever info it needs from the associated profile (Does this person have valid park admission? Does this person have a room charge account? Does this person have a FP+ for Space Mountain right now? Can I let this person into Wilderness Lodge Room 5342?)

It's just like having credit cards from one account issued to multiple people in your family. They all have individual numbers, but they all charge things back to the same credit line account.

-Rob

cw1982

not to de-rail but i have a MB question..
as a semi local to the parks, may i use a MB to set up FP if im only going on a day trip?

Yep. Are you an AP? If so, you can go online and book FP's for any day within the next 30. I think you're limited to a certain number of days at a time I want to say I read somewhere that number is 7?

Either way, once you have any kind of park admission, you can go online and link it to your MDE account and book FP's for it.

cw1982

i buy the 3 day passes and its such a bargain which explains why it may be going away for fla residents.

so i can reuse the MB im expecting in the mail for future trips and such?

Yep. You can reuse the same band over and over again.

I would at least buy your tickets in advance so that you don't have to wait until you get in the parks to snag your FP's. Once the tickets are in your account, you'll be able to book FP's for the same number of days as are on your pass (so in your case 3) as long as the days you pick are in the next 30 days.

lostpro9het

I know that our package already has our info and memory Maker attached to the MB's already, correct?
Yes.

So when we upgrade to Aps we will get a new set of MBs that have to be linked to the MDE account.
Not during your trip. The AP bands will come in the mail later.

So the information that was attached to the original MBs will then transfer over to the AP bands, correct?
You wont get new bands yet BUT you will need to link your newly acquired APs to your account so they will work with your existing bands. The CM may be able to do this for you at time of purchase.

When your new AP bands com in the mail anything linked to your account will automatically be linked to them for future trips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom