Snacks in Park and other advice needed

BaltimoreBaloo

The boyfriend and I are planning our trip for late Sept 2014 or late January 2015.

We are driving to Disney as we only live 5 hours from Orlando.

Few things, the resorts I've looked into were the Value Resorts, and All Star is very reasonable during our stay. We did look into FT Wilderness, but I can't see myself Camping after being outside in the Parks all day. I have heard that there are NO mini fridges nor
microwaves in these value resorts. Then I've read fridges are available at extra cost but there is no option on the website for when you're booking the room. Does anyone know if this is 100% true?
Also, the snack policy, I've read on Disneys website that yes we are allowed to bring in snacks in a small book bag but NO coolers. I have a small 31 bag that is insulated(fits in a backpack) I would like to pack healthy snacks in. Does that count?(That may be a dumb question).
Another thing, we have a cheaper option to stay off site(about 180.00 cheaper), however, I have always stayed off site as a child and never experienced the ON site Magic, or the DME! Is this all worth $180.00?

Thank you so much for anyone who is kind enough to reply to my "Newbiness" to Disney. I've never booked for myself and someone else before!

Cmdr_Crimson

I'd recommend staying at Pop Century as every room does include Mini Fridges. I'm not sure if it's within the price of the room tho..

And it's fine to bring snacks along so your good with that..A lot of people do this..

As Ned Flander's has Said "Sometimes You Gotta Spoil Yourself!" I would honestly take the advantage of staying on Property as you don't have to pick up your bags at the airport. Just go to the DME area, get on the bus, arrvie with great anticipation (Warning: Anticipation may be longer due to other guests being dropped off at other hotels before you), Checking in, going to the parks and arrving to your room at night seeing your bags arrived...It's a nice feeling..

Upvote 0

BaltimoreBaloo

Original Poster
I'd recommend staying at Pop Century as every room does include Mini Fridges. I'm not sure if it's within the price of the room tho..

And it's fine to bring snacks along so your good with that..A lot of people do this..

As Ned Flander's has Said "Sometimes You Gotta Spoil Yourself!" I would honestly take the advantage of staying on Property as you don't have to pick up your bags at the airport. Just go to the DME area, get on the bus, arrvie with great anticipation (Warning: Anticipation may be longer due to other guests being dropped off at other hotels before you), Checking in, going to the parks and arrving to your room at night seeing your bags arrived...It's a nice feeling..

Thank You! We're driving so no airport needed here! We only live 5 hours away.
The week in February 2015 is not yet viewable for the prices but in Sept, POP is $19/night more than All Star. Figured of we were staying 5 nights, we would save $100 staying at All Star. The boyfriend & I could use that extra $100 to drink around the world at Epcot one day, haha.

Since we are driving, I was just thinking, we are able to pack things that one couldn't pack on a plane(like a cooler with food for the hotel) if no Mini Fridge is offered. I'm going to call the resort directly and ask about mini fridges and microwaves!

Also, any recommendations as to what time of year is better? Late Sept/Early Oct or Late Jan/Early Feb?

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

There is no seperate charges for the fridge anymore. They come in all the value room now.
You will be fine with a cooler that can fit in your backpack .
And I would stay on property. If you stay off property it is $15 a day to park unless your an annual passholder. Parking is always free staying at a hotel on property. Plus you will get a free Magicband and be able to make your fast passes sooner.

Upvote 0

belledream

We are a young couple always traveling to WDW on a budget too. We look at money saved as money well spent later on! :D We've stayed at all three All Stars the past couple years and it suited our needs perfectly - and yes, there is a fridge. I can't speak to staying offsite because I've always been onsite with my family, but it is worth the extra money to us. Extra Magic Hours are a gift, especially during the times of year you mentioned (because of the 'slow times' at the parks, the operating hours are a bit shorter). It is up to you though, seeing as you're driving so you wouldn't necessarily need DME or WDW transportation. But there is something special about going home to a WDW resort at the end of a long day!

Upvote 0

BaltimoreBaloo

Original Poster
We are a young couple always traveling to WDW on a budget too. We look at money saved as money well spent later on! :D We've stayed at all three All Stars the past couple years and it suited our needs perfectly - and yes, there is a fridge. I can't speak to staying offsite because I've always been onsite with my family, but it is worth the extra money to us. Extra Magic Hours are a gift, especially during the times of year you mentioned (because of the 'slow times' at the parks, the operating hours are a bit shorter). It is up to you though, seeing as you're driving so you wouldn't necessarily need DME or WDW transportation. But there is something special about going home to a WDW resort at the end of a long day!
Thank you so much! I think we're going with AS Sports or AS Movies!

Upvote 0

wogwog

There is no seperate charges for the fridge anymore. They come in all the value room now.
You will be fine with a cooler that can fit in your backpack .
And I would stay on property. If you stay off property it is $15 a day to park unless your an annual passholder. Parking is always free staying at a hotel on property. Plus you will get a free Magicband and be able to make your fast passes sooner.
Update. The parking went to $17 a day a few weeks ago. Iger needs to pay off the rubber band invoice.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

The boyfriend and I are planning our trip for late Sept 2014 or late January 2015.

We are driving to Disney as we only live 5 hours from Orlando.

Few things, the resorts I've looked into were the Value Resorts, and All Star is very reasonable during our stay. We did look into FT Wilderness, but I can't see myself Camping after being outside in the Parks all day. I have heard that there are NO mini fridges nor
microwaves in these value resorts. Then I've read fridges are available at extra cost but there is no option on the website for when you're booking the room. Does anyone know if this is 100% true?
First off, welcome to the forums, second, at least at Pop (and I guess All Star, though I like Pop better), there are refrigerators in the room. No microwaves, though.
Also, the snack policy, I've read on Disneys website that yes we are allowed to bring in snacks in a small book bag but NO coolers. I have a small 31 bag that is insulated(fits in a backpack) I would like to pack healthy snacks in. Does that count?(That may be a dumb question).
Should be fine.

Another thing, we have a cheaper option to stay off site(about 180.00 cheaper), however, I have always stayed off site as a child and never experienced the ON site Magic, or the DME! Is this all worth $180.00?
Usually I say yes, but it is up to you. For us, and for many who fly in, having Magical Express from the airport plus transportation to the parks (saving a rental car) is well worth the extra money. But you'll have a car, so the big thing to ask yourself is what you're looking for. Are Extra Magic Hours worth it to you? Would you utilize it to get more done? Would you take transportation? Another factor to consider is the cost of parking. Or would you rather have a nice pool at another resort? Do you not mind being a little farther away? Just something to think about.

Also, if you're going in Sept or Jan...wait a little bit. Disney may come out with a deal that includes free dining, a room-only discount, or some other great offer that would bring the price down. Free dining alone would make it worth it.

Upvote 0

momprincess

My husband and I live in florida also and we drive so we are able to pack snacks and stuff to make sandwiches. We also bring sodas and water and a 5 cup coffee maker instead of buying the refillable mugs. It is worth spending a little more to stay on Disney property because by the end of the day when you are exhausted it is awesome to have someone else drive you back to your hotel.

Upvote 0

KARmom

I'm bringing a backpack cooler when we go. It's not that big and it should fit what I will need to get us through the day. I have two kids and we are staying at Fort Wilderness (camping in a camper) so I'm saving money by cooking most of our meals and bringing in snacks and lunch food. I found it online and it wasn't that expensive. It looks like a regular old backpack but it's insulated with compartments inside. Plus it has a few compartment on the outside too.

Upvote 0

smk

Keep in mind that there is an offer out there right now that offers a discount for 6 nights in the value resorts. Must book by August 8th, I think and it is good thru October 2nd?. Not free dining, which must be booked with a package and paid in full 45 days before you arrive, but sometimes the room discount is a better if you are not much in table/quick service places or just want to book a trip on the cheap. We always book a room deal and we have never been sorry.

Buses and such at the values are not that bad, and I think the fridge issue is all figured out now, meaning all rooms should have one. If not, just ask to have one. All the food courts have microwaves, so no worries there. It's all good when you are at Disney, no worries!

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I don't know what happened when all the fridges were pulled and replaced but it was my understanding that the value resorts had beverage coolers not refrigerators like the moderate and deluxe resorts. Maybe that changed???

beveragecooler.jpg

My concern is if they are chillers the temperature is not generally not cold enough for any perishables.

Upvote 0
Well the one thing that stood out for me reading your post that you need to think about. You mentioned save the $180 for drinks around Epcot well if you have to drive to your resort out of disney one of you will not be able to indulge in a drink! I know it's not a big thing but me and my hubby can both enjoy a drink with our meals and not worry about driving as we have transport.

Upvote 0

SMS55

Don''t worry about the snacks. Stick anything you want in a book bag. My wife has made sandwiches in the past and put a whole bag of dorritos in there too without a problem. We've also taken an insulated lunchbox for my daughter's milk bottles without a problem. We just buy drinks in the parks and save the bottle to refill with water. If I may ask where are driving from? We drive up from Miami, so we're 3.5 hours away.
Both times are good times to go in terms of crowds. Summer and winter vacations are over so the kids are back in school. In September and early October it's still hot with the summer weather pattern of afternoon thunderstorms. If you go in late October the humidity has definitely dropped. January and February are also slower times, but it's also a time when you see a fair amount of rides closed for refurbs. We can get some big cold snaps but they don't last long.

Upvote 0

RayTheFirefly

In my opinion, it's always worth it to stay on property. You get that little boost of more magic to your trip, as well as ALL the great benefits (EMH, site-wide transportation, magic bands, etc.).

October is a beautiful month to go! The weather is perfect (to me, at least), and Epcot had Food & Wine going on! January you have a little more risk that it might be cold. Last winter was brutal (even in Florida), and I would be sad if I had to be at WDW in the cold. But that's just a personal preference. Happy planning!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom