single-digit dance/few questions

alexaveryq

Original Poster
Ahhhhh...I leave for WDW in 9 days. I can't wait! I've planned myself to death, so it'll be great to see all that planning come to fruition in the form of an awesome vacation. I just have a few questions:

1). What do y'all do for the week or so before you leave? I've already gotten a good portion of my packing done, but that's probably the biggest area I have to work on. I couldn't possibly "plan" anymore (my husband jokes that I already have us planned down to the bathroom breaks:ROFLOL: ). What else--I'll never make it without SOMETHING to do!

2). Tell me about the caramel popcorn in the parks. I LOVE caramel popcorn, but I'm very particular about it. It's not like Cracker Jack/Crunch n' Munch, is it? Is it kind of homemade-y? Nice and gooey? (I asked this question on that "other" board, and believe it or not I only got one response. Does no one over there eat caramel popcorn:shrug: ). Also, I hear people here and elsewhere talking about how great the "plain" popcorn is. What's so special about it?

Thanks!

New2WDW

Ahhhhh...I leave for WDW in 9 days. I can't wait! I've planned myself to death, so it'll be great to see all that planning come to fruition in the form of an awesome vacation. I just have a few questions:

1). What do y'all do for the week or so before you leave? I've already gotten a good portion of my packing done, but that's probably the biggest area I have to work on. I couldn't possibly "plan" anymore (my husband jokes that I already have us planned down to the bathroom breaks:ROFLOL: ). What else--I'll never make it without SOMETHING to do!

2). Tell me about the caramel popcorn in the parks. I LOVE caramel popcorn, but I'm very particular about it. It's not like Cracker Jack/Crunch n' Munch, is it? Is it kind of homemade-y? Nice and gooey? (I asked this question on that "other" board, and believe it or not I only got one response. Does no one over there eat caramel popcorn:shrug: ). Also, I hear people here and elsewhere talking about how great the "plain" popcorn is. What's so special about it?

Thanks!

I join you on that dance! 8 days for me and my family!
I can not answer about the caramel popcorn, cause I never had any, but other than totally stress/freak out the week before I usually get nothing done at work, watch disney planning videos with family, give kids little traveling gifts each day to use on trip, pack what I can, and go over the planning each day to make sure I have not forgot anything! :hammer:

Have a great trip!

Congrats!! I also have 9 days to go. I don't really do anything the week before but think and plan about how much fun I would have. I will be getting ready to start packing over the weekend.

bobjl527

As a former movie theater manager for 10 years, I have become a bit of an expert on popcorn. The trick with popcorn is the smell. That fresh popped, buttery smell is what gets you. I believe there was a thread about magical smells in the kingdom not too long ago. This is one of them. I am not exactly sure about their popping techniques, but from what I can taste, they use sunflower oil (not 100% sure) and seasoned salt. The theater chain I worked for stopped using sunflower oil back in the mid 90's (was supposedly not very healthy) and the popcorn tastes just like the stuff we used to pop.
And a little advice. When you see the popcorn coming out of the kettle fresh, ask for some of the older corn towards the bottom. It tastes better after sitting for a few minutes. Popcorn right out of the kettle tends to be chewy.

New2WDW

As a former movie theater manager for 10 years, I have become a bit of an expert on popcorn. The trick with popcorn is the smell. That fresh popped, buttery smell is what gets you. I believe there was a thread about magical smells in the kingdom not too long ago. This is one of them. I am not exactly sure about their popping techniques, but from what I can taste, they use sunflower oil (not 100% sure) and seasoned salt. The theater chain I worked for stopped using sunflower oil back in the mid 90's (was supposedly not very healthy) and the popcorn tastes just like the stuff we used to pop.
And a little advice. When you see the popcorn coming out of the kettle fresh, ask for some of the older corn towards the bottom. It tastes better after sitting for a few minutes. Popcorn right out of the kettle tends to be chewy.

Have any ideas on getting rid of the burnt popcorn smell in my house? My kids cooked it too long in the microwave.:lol:

LowesChevy

With a week left this is a good time to think about some christmas shopping while you are there. Its always great to get a Disney gift for Christmas especially for the kids. I also like to make a list what types of souveniers I will buy people at this time. Check your flight times and the 10 day outlook on the weather channel's website a few days before you leave. Have a great time! :)

PeoplemoverTTA

I can't tell you why, but I absolutely LOVE the caramel popcorn in the tub from Sleepy Hollow at MK. My mom makes homemade caramel corn that melts in your mouth, and this tastes just like it, but better (at least it did while my sister and I were waiting for Spectro in Aug. 2006!). It was delicious, and you can save the tub it was in as well (it has the Sleepy Hollow logo and Mickey on it). I definitely don't feel it tastes at all like Cracker Jack or anything cheap!

Also, I don't know anything about the popcorn in WDW except that it's Orville Reddenbacher, and it tastes way better than movie theater popcorn (or microwavable popcorn). It's very fresh, of course...other than that, it's all personal preference. Great tip from bobjl527 about the popcorn at the bottom, BTW. I'll remember that.

Oh, and I'm leaving in 15 days, so I am sooo close to single digits!! We got our luggage tags today, and they sent us two sets because they put one of our party members on there twice, so we have 9 luggage tags (oh the small joys in life).

I'm starting to set aside clothes now...I picked up some travel size toiletries, and I'm checking my meds to see what needs to be filled before we go. I also transferred my rewards dollars to my card (woo hoo $56! but uh oh, how much did I have to spend to earn it?), and put together a two-page handout for the rest of my party with park hours/extra magic hours, and a list of people performing while we're there for Eat to the Beats (Sheena Easton and Starship).

That's all I can think of for now - have a great time on your trip!

RussJT

My last week before going I spend looking at the clock and calendar. I constantly try to imagine what we will be doing exactly one week from that time (especially when we have priority seating for a Character meal, etc.) Heck, we are not going back for another 6 months, and I continuously tell my kids something along the lines of "in exactly 6 months, we will be eating at the Crystal Palace", etc.

Sometimes they enjoy it when I do this type of thing. Sometimes they think I'm nuts.

(In exactly 189 days... I will be leaving for Disney.)

LoriMistress

You're so lucky that you're leaving in 9 days. I'm at 77 days right now. Before we leave, we call to double check our flights, ADRs, hotel reservations, transportation, etc. We also purchase any last minute items for travel (shampoo, sunscreen, etc.) DH and I also watch Disney movies or the planning video, we drink out of our old resort mugs, and enjoy getting in the spirit of things.

RayLaVeau

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :sohappy: Doin the Dance:wave: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:
7 Days For Me!!

Ya the Popcorn is good..gets ya everytime whether you want it or not :D

Have a good time
and dont worry I've already begun to panic as to what next??? I need something to do!!! Waiting is so Painful:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom