Sick at AKL--good show Disney!

tonypitt

My wife and I just returned home from 8 nights at AKL. I had something happen that obviously no one expects to happen; at the end of my trip I got very sick.

Late Tuesday/Early Wednesday while in bed, I began to feel really awful. The next morning I couldn't get out of bed. My wife and I had already planned a day of rest, so she headed to the pool while I slept. I was in bed the entire day. I finally got up around 5 p.m. and thought I might feel OK for our meal at Boma to celebrate our anniversary. I wasn't. After about 3 bites of Prime Rib, all I could do is watch my wife eat. I finally had to leave during dessert and return to our room. (Those turned out to be the most expensive bites of Prime Rib I've ever eaten.)

When I got back to the room I felt even worse. My wife started to worry since I seemed to be running a temperature. She went to the lobby gift shop to see if they had a thermometer. They didn't, but said that if I was ill they would call the paramedics to look me over. My wife was concerned that I might have heat exhaustion (from the previous 6 days in the parks).

Within a few minutes, the security manager, the duty manager, and 2 paramedics were in my room checking me over. They ruled out anything that required more drastic medical care and made sure I knew what to do to aid recovery. (They thought I had a virus coupled with dehydration.)

There was no charge for any of this medical attention and even though I was a bit to delirious to appreciate everything at the time, it really made me feel much more cared for than I would have expected.

The next morning--today--our checkout day, I felt much better. When I got up, in addition to our bill, we found an Anniversary card from Mickey and Minnie. It was a nice touch to offset the rather unpleasant conclusion to our anniversary vacation.

The Disney people we met that last evening were very nice and professional and a credit to the organization.

S_Grise

Gosh I'm sorry your trip ended that way. I am glad that Disney helped you make the best of it. On our first family trip to WDW, I got really sick at the end, too. I blamed it on my husband keeping the room as cold as a meat locker. You're in the humidity all day and then every restaurant and our room was SOO cold! Anyway, it made our DTD day miserable for me and I really didn't enjoy DisneyQuest as much as I might have if I hadn't had a fever, sore throat and head ache. Like you said, no one expects to get sick at Disney!

Upvote 0

KnK

I always appreciate the good stories. Too often the post here talk about the bad stuff. It's always easy to dwell on the bad then to give praise for the good.

Glad to hear things finished well, and you are well.

Upvote 0

brich

A little off the beat here but my wife, 2 year old son and I all got really sick on our Disney cruise on the Magic. No, not sea sick but respitory and throat infections. The care we received at the on board infirmary was top notch. They treated us all and gave us perscriptions that cleared up my son almost immediately, my wife after a few days and, well, I didn't well again until a few days after we got home but we all still made the best of it and had a wonderful time. Let me also add that my wife had a pretty bad cold while at Disneyland Paris. We went to the first aid office, they gave her what we joke about today as some magic potion that miraculously cleared her up by days end. We have no idea what it was but I sure wish I could get some in this country!! Bravo to Disney for helping us feel better!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

daveemtdave

We were chaperoning a group from our school when one of our charges came down with strep throat. Not only did Disney help get medical care for this child, but they faxed exactly what they did and the medicines that were given to the parents and the child's doctor. In return, all students who were in the room with this child was given a strep test. Lucky out of 32 students (who by the way took a bus down and back together) and 10 audlts; only one got strep.

Upvote 0

WDWCP

Giving A Little Extra

I'm not sure how to post a new discussion thread, but wouldn't it be nice to start one (If it doesn't already exist) about examples of how Disney CM's have gone a little beyond the call of duty to offer a little extra magic?

Maybe it's the awesome medical care examples given above, or maybe the more common free replacement of a child's lost baloon, but I'd sure love to hear more of these types of stories!

I was a college program (CP) cast member back in 1997 and we were told of some of the things we were allowed to do and encourged to do and it's always so nice to see how happy you can make guests!

Upvote 0

daveemtdave

Actually, Universal has a similar set-up. only slightly different in the parks. We dropped off emergency papers at GR and was given a two-way radio in case we were needed. Disney did not give us a two-way radio for immediate contact.

Upvote 0

S_Grise

WDWCP said:
I'm not sure how to post a new discussion thread, but wouldn't it be nice to start one (If it doesn't already exist) about examples of how Disney CM's have gone a little beyond the call of duty to offer a little extra magic?

Maybe it's the awesome medical care examples given above, or maybe the more common free replacement of a child's lost baloon, but I'd sure love to hear more of these types of stories!

I was a college program (CP) cast member back in 1997 and we were told of some of the things we were allowed to do and encourged to do and it's always so nice to see how happy you can make guests!
I agree! That would be a great thread! I've read threads that turned INTO something like that, but I've not seen one started specifically for that...however, I haven't been here all that long...

Upvote 0

DanStat

Wow. Very sorry to hear about your illness while you were at WDW. I hope you can get back to AKL soon to finish that prime rib!...although you might want to order a new piece...they old one might smell a little bit. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom