Should I stay with FP and not use bands?

SSH

Original Poster
Hi all...been reviewing all the threads on FP+. Have to make a decision re: FP+ or FP by tomorrow and can't decide. Long story short: hubbie and I are staying at POP; visiting parks on 12/2 and 12/3, using paper tics. WDW originally told me Pop guests must use FP+ but that I couldn't pre-book any attractions due to paper tic. Must wait till check in...which cancels out biggest FP+ benefit. I then found someone today that says he CAN link tics for me as soon as tomorrow by reissuing under a diff #. He said he's already done it before.

But he says I also have the choice of staying with FP if I choose. I just take my tics to park guest relations at park to convert them to new plastic version and use legacy FP like any offsite guest. Downside: won't be able to use band to enter parks or buy stuff. (Which doesn't seem that big a deal.)

I'm just trying to nail down the best choice:
- Will Soarin and other top rides in limited parks like EPCOT already be booked up on FP+ by this point, given I'm less than 10 days away and late to the party? Am I better off taking my chances w/no-limit, park hopper friendlier legacy FP?
- Or do you think FP+ system may still offer lots of open slots if I can get online to book by tomorrow, given I'm visiting 12/2 and 12/3...maybe not huge peak days in park? Are its other conveniences worth it?

(I don't carry smartphone in parks and we're not there as early as rope drop, if that influences recommendations.) Been to parks 50+ times in the past 20 years, so if we don't get on something, it's not the end of the world. But we don't want to be stuck in long standby lines for everything.)

Sorry about all the questions...would just appreciate your opinion!

SSH

Original Poster
I wish I could use both: DIsney rep seemed very clear that I'd have to choose one or the other. He said I can't use both the way the system works now.

PolynesianPrincess

The problem with using just fastpass they sell out very early in the morning in most attractions.

This is not necessarily true. We were there 2 weeks ago and they had Tower of Terror FP as late as 2pm and RNRC FP as late as noon. Same thing over at MK. We were able to get FP for Space Mtn at 8pm with a 10pm return time. It all depends how crowded it will be when the OP is there.

SSH

Original Poster
exactly...that's why I keep going back and forth. I feel ridiculous being so indecisive about such a silly thing...it's not like I'm choosing between surgeries or making life and death decisions here. Actually, I'm usually better at the big decisions in life...it's these little ones that drive me NUTS. :)

ratherbeinwdw

exactly...that's why I keep going back and forth. I feel ridiculous being so indecisive about such a silly thing...it's not like I'm choosing between surgeries or making life and death decisions here. Actually, I'm usually better at the big decisions in life...it's these little ones that drive me NUTS. :)
I don't like the bands because of the extreme problems we had with them last weekend, but as far as fastpass, that part worked fairly well. Our problems started with how the tickets were linked. As long as it's only your family and you don't have a party ticket or ap linked, you shouldn't have a problem. I do know that when we hopped, there were no fp's left for several of the rides like RNRC. We arrived at DHS by 2 and there were no fp's left. We've always been able to get them must later than that before the bands. The fp for Spaceship Earth was a waste. Instead of sending us up the empty side, they put us right in with everyone about two feet behind the magic band posts. Even with the fp for TT, we had to wait 20 minutes and the park wasn't even that crowded.
It was great to walk straight on PP, Space, BTMM, TSM, and a few others.

SSH

Original Poster
Thank you ratherbeinwdw and derelicte19: interesting how you both went in traditionally lower season times, yet had diff experiences re: FP availability and ride waits. There's just no predicting FP or park crowds anymore, other than to know peak times are even crazier than regular.

shipley731

We were at WDW last Saturday & didn't make any FP+ before leaving home. While waiting for the bus to go to EPCOT at around 2pm, I logged into MDE to see what I could make FP+ for at that point. It would only let me "pick" one experience, but Soarin, TT, Space, Maelstrom, Illuminations & everything else was there. I was looking for Maelstrom as we weren't venturing into future world, but after I picked it, it threw in 2 more FP+ picks with it. I was surprised Soarin was still available day of.

Donal Duck

I wish I could use both: DIsney rep seemed very clear that I'd have to choose one or the other. He said I can't use both the way the system works now.

Is that because you are staying at POP ?
Everyone seems to be using both during the test phase.

rael ramone

My recent trip I refused the MouseArrest bands and just used my AP.

One day I got 5 FP's for the MK, then hopped to Epcot and got another one there.
Another day, I got 2 at the Studios, both for TOT.

SSH

Original Poster
Is that because you are staying at POP ?
Everyone seems to be using both during the test phase.

yup...Pop doesn't allow it and I don't really want to switch everything over to another value resort at this point, as I have 3 diff reservation numbers to coordinate (won't bore you with those details; actually staying at POP from 11/30 on for dinner shows, family stuff, just won't be visiting parks till Mon, 12/2.) Plus, my luck, other value resorts will decide to change the week I'm there anyway. Rael: sounds like you hit a great week! I'm there Dec 2nd and 3rd...not sure how much spillover there will be from Thanksgiving weekend. Shipley: glad FP+ worked out so well for you: sounds like you hit a good day as well.

SSH

Original Poster
I'm betting they make value the guinea pigs first...and leave maximum flexibility (i.e, both choices) for mod and deluxe resorts until last.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom