Should I get the AP?

kcnole

Original Poster
My wife and I are considering going down to Universal for our 1 year anniversary the last weekend in August. We don't have any plans to really do the theme parks, but we might. Our plan is to stay at Royal Pacific (Fl rate is 129 a night), spend time at City Walk, enjoying the hotel, and probably DTD. (I'm hoping to at least make it over to the TTA to ride the monorail).

So seeing how we don't have any definitive plans to do the parks would the AP be worthwile. I definitely plan on getting it at some point, just not sure if I should go ahead that weekend. We'd be doing the monthly payment plan of 30 dollars a month for the two of us. Would the discounts at restaurants, parking, etc... make it worth our while to do?

I'm hoping that if we do I can at least make it in the parks for a few rides maybe while my wife naps in the afternoon or something.

So, would the discounts on dinners, parking, etc... cover at least that first 30 dollars a month or would I be better served to just wait until I plan on doing the parks as the only thing?

JROK

I say you should go ahead and get it... then you can get the discounts on food and all... and if you want you could go into the parks to eat diiner at Mythos (receiving the discount), ride Spider-Man and then head over to USF to see Universal 360... and not feel obligated to stay the whole day because you wouldn't be 'wasting a ticket'... then come back some other time to do the parks all day... and Halloween Horror Nights, and Macy's, and Mardi Gras... :)

kcnole

Original Poster
Does the AP get me in for Halloween Horror Nights or is it just a discount on that event?

JROK

Yea, HHN is just like Mickey's Not-So-Scary in that it's a seperate ticket item. But having an AP will help you during HHN because you can get discount pricing on tickets, AND the biggest benefit is what is called "Stay-N-Scream" where that you go to the park during the day (using your AP to get you in of course) and then when they begin to flush people out of the park to transform it for HHN, you just show them your HHN ticket and you'll be taken to a holding area (usually a restaurant or similar area) where you can watch the park transform into the ghastly event and chow down. Then about 1 hour or so before the event is opened for the evening, you'll be allowed to go through a few houses. This'll allow you to hit 1-3 houses before the event even officially begins. That saves you a lot of time and will allow you to do all the houses and shows and hit your favorite houses multiple times in the night.

typhoonguy

JROK said:
Yea, HHN is just like Mickey's Not-So-Scary in that it's a seperate ticket item. But having an AP will help you during HHN because you can get discount pricing on tickets, AND the biggest benefit is what is called "Stay-N-Scream" where that you go to the park during the day (using your AP to get you in of course) and then when they begin to flush people out of the park to transform it for HHN, you just show them your HHN ticket and you'll be taken to a holding area (usually a restaurant or similar area) where you can watch the park transform into the ghastly event and chow down. Then about 1 hour or so before the event is opened for the evening, you'll be allowed to go through a few houses. This'll allow you to hit 1-3 houses before the event even officially begins. That saves you a lot of time and will allow you to do all the houses and shows and hit your favorite houses multiple times in the night.

That's great, I've never heard of the stay-n-scream. Thanks!

JROK

typhoonguy said:
That's great, I've never heard of the stay-n-scream. Thanks!

It works for any guest that's in the park having the event that night... as long as you have a ticket for the event that night, you can stay in the park...

typhoonguy

JROK said:
It works for any guest that's in the park having the event that night... as long as you have a ticket for the event that night, you can stay in the park...
Cool. We usually get frequent scare passes and would normally leave and eat at margarittaville or something, but next time maybe I'll stay and grab a bite to eat at Mythos.

kcnole

Original Poster
Another question. What are the crowds like the last weekend in August. School has normally started back by then so I'm hoping they won't be too bad, but what are they normally like?

JROK

kcnole said:
Another question. What are the crowds like the last weekend in August. School has normally started back by then so I'm hoping they won't be too bad, but what are they normally like?

Last weekend of August the crowds will be medium to light medium... It's kind of in between some heavy seasons... First of September the crowds pick back up with Labor Day Weekend and all... But the crowds should be fine... 30-45min waits on bigger attractions...

jozzmenia

kcnole said:
My wife and I are considering going down to Universal for our 1 year anniversary the last weekend in August. We don't have any plans to really do the theme parks, but we might. Our plan is to stay at Royal Pacific (Fl rate is 129 a night), spend time at City Walk, enjoying the hotel, and probably DTD. (I'm hoping to at least make it over to the TTA to ride the monorail).

So seeing how we don't have any definitive plans to do the parks would the AP be worthwile. I definitely plan on getting it at some point, just not sure if I should go ahead that weekend. We'd be doing the monthly payment plan of 30 dollars a month for the two of us. Would the discounts at restaurants, parking, etc... make it worth our while to do?

I'm hoping that if we do I can at least make it in the parks for a few rides maybe while my wife naps in the afternoon or something.

So, would the discounts on dinners, parking, etc... cover at least that first 30 dollars a month or would I be better served to just wait until I plan on doing the parks as the only thing?

if you're going to be there more than 2 days, I say get it. there are good disounts, and it doesn't cost that much more. and like another poster said, u dont have the pressure to rush through the attractions and spend all day in the parks, which can be draining. u will want to relax and stroll through.

kcnole

Original Poster
I purchased them Saturday. Once we saw the 2 year for the price of one option that was too good to pass up. All I have to do is go 4 times over two years and I've already saved money. So it's a go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom