Should I bring my DSLR camera??

Cvones

Original Poster
I really love taking photos with my DSLR but I'm wondering if maybe it isn't a good ideato bring it into the parks. Has anyone successfully brought theirs? What did you do with it during rides? TIA!

Philo

I've taken my bridge camera (DSLR sized but with a fixed lens) several times and it's always been fine. I nearly always have a backback with me for carrying various things, and usually a padded camera case too so when I'm on a ride I just pop it in there. I get a little worried on the more bumpy rides, but I've never actually had a problem. My next trip I'll be taking a 'proper' DSLR and plan to do the same thing.

If you're carrying lots of lenses and require a big bag then it might be more tricky, but I'd suggest just taking the minimum each day.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Question - why did you buy a DSLR ? Answer - better quality pictures, flexibility with choices of lens etc etc etc ???

The simple answer is yes, you should take it. You don't need a camera bag full of lenses either. A fixed focal length equivalent to a 50mm lens or a small zoom incorporating 50mm. Then perhaps a zoom (particularly if you're riding Kilimanjaro Safari).
As for rides, put them securely in a purpose made camera bag either under your seat or on your lap. I've never had any issues

Cvones

Original Poster
Thanks! The bag I have is a bit large with room for more lenses than I would need at the parks. Any recommendations on smaller bags would be great

Philo

I actually use the Amazon Basics range. I bought it because it was cheap and I needed something quickly, but I've been impressed enough that I never actually bought a new one!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...s=aps&field-keywords=amazon+basics+camera+bag

I use the $19.99 Holser Camera case, which holds my camera (with fixed lens), a couple of filters, a couple of SD cards and a spare battery without having to squeeze it all in. Double check for your sizes though

JIMINYCR

DW brings her DSLR, I bring my lesser camera. Guess whose photos are better?? Yeah hers. If you bring it pick 1 lens, bring extra batteries. The quality of photos you will get outweigh the disadvantage of carrying it around. They do make a backpack type camera bag which can carry the camera and any other equipment you choose to bring which might be worth getting.

mousehockey37

I really love taking photos with my DSLR but I'm wondering if maybe it isn't a good ideato bring it into the parks. Has anyone successfully brought theirs? What did you do with it during rides? TIA!

There's a whole area on this board devoted to nothing but Photography. We all bring our cameras in. Heck, we all take our lenses (just about any and all sizes) in. I have a camera backpack that I take in with me. You just have to go through bag check. They look at it and send you on your way.

Disneyfam0411

I brought my DSLR on the last trip but found it much more freeing to use my iphone and it took great pictures!!! I did bring it to the character breakfasts and the pictures are priceless. I love the choices and flexibility of changing lenses with my DSLR. The one day that I brought it to the park, I used my backpack made for the DSLR and put it on the floor of the ride and brought the arm straps up around my knees and held it into place with my legs. I did NOT go on any of the thrill/water rides with it though, I was too nervous about it breaking or getting wet! Good luck!

epcotisbest

I quit bringing the DSLR a few years ago. A simple, good quality digital camera will take great shots and you can keep it in your pocket. We always go as light as possible now. We use a Canon Digital ELPH and it works great.

Graham9

A better question to ask would be "Should I not bring my DLSR camera". I would never go anywhere without mine. I have a small lens bag and a plastic bag, but the lens are not vey big, which will easily be carried by me, go by my feet or stuff into the small pouch under the seat (as in Soarin'). Small pocket cameras are ok, but my DLSR will knock the pants off any compact and I have full control over aperture, shutter and Iso, which you don't tend to have with compacts. Incidentally, I also bring my tripod which goes into the park locker until nighttime.

Cvones

Original Poster
A good eye and simple understanding of lighting and composition are way more important than what kind of camera you use.
I totally agree about that but even so if I have that perfect shot and all I have is my iphone the photo won't be as good as my dslr and I'm happy to hear many have brought theirs along with no problems.

epcotisbest

I totally agree about that but even so if I have that perfect shot and all I have is my iphone the photo won't be as good as my dslr and I'm happy to hear many have brought theirs along with no problems.
I brought mine often, until I got tired of carrying it around. Now I am just as happy with the small camera. For me personally, the DSLR did not add to, but distracted from the enjoyment of the trip. Too much time wasted looking through a viewfinder, changing setting, adjusting settings, bracketing, changing depth of field, changing ISO etc... It is more fun not fooling with all that.
With that said, if you enjoy seeking out the ideal shot, and photography is a hobby you can incorporate into your WDW trip, then it would probably be a mistake not to take it with you.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

Thanks! The bag I have is a bit large with room for more lenses than I would need at the parks. Any recommendations on smaller bags would be great

I carried around a Lowepro Flipside 300 at Disney and like it a lot. It's smallish, but holds the SLR, a couple mini-umbrellas and ponchos and other small things if we need them. Typically I just have the camera with sigma 18-35mm lens (I love the lens, but do with it were smaller/lighter). At AK I'll often bring in a zoom.

Cvones

Original Poster
I brought mine often, until I got tired of carrying it around. Now I am just as happy with the small camera. For me personally, the DSLR did not add to, but distracted from the enjoyment of the trip. Too much time wasted looking through a viewfinder, changing setting, adjusting settings, bracketing, changing depth of field, changing ISO etc... It is more fun not fooling with all that.
With that said, if you enjoy seeking out the ideal shot, and photography is a hobby you can incorporate into your WDW trip, then it would probably be a mistake not to take it with you.
This is such a good point. I definitely don't want to miss out on being "in the moment" bc I'm too focused on getting a nice shot.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I downsized from a DSLR to a Micro 4/3's camera (specifically a Olympus OMD EM5). I get great images in a smaller form factor. I quickly grew tired of lugging around a large camera and a heavy lens in the Florida heat. Plus with kids, you're dealing with so much other stuff, that I wanted a smaller camera - I haven't regretted it since.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom