Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

lindawdw

We have come to appreciate those non-park pool days when the weather is stifling hot! Glad you were able to meet up with @Figment Forever and Family! Your food pics from the Poly are making me hungry!!! We are so looking forward to staying there in October! Your fireworks view was definitely the right choice this night. We did stay until closing for the Deluxe resort EMH and were able to get so much done but we were exhausted the next day!

donaldtoo

Wednesday, May 8

Record-setting temperatures necessitated a change in plans today. Park touring was out. Pool lounging was in.

View attachment 787655

We kept cool under the shade of an umbrella and hanging out in the water. Had yummy grilled chicken sandwiches on ciabatta from the pool bar for lunch. Did not return to the room until late afternoon.

After showering I headed for a VIP meet at Epcot. Woody was going to accompany me but he was feeling a bit woozy so I suggested he stay behind and rest. After a couple of mis-timed monorails, I hurriedly made my way to the ship in front of GotG.

I glanced around for @Figment Forever and her family. Suddenly I heard, “TUVALU!” and I turned to see an elated teen running towards me, arms open wide, ready to hug. It was Hope, @Figment Forever ’s precious daughter.

“TUVALU, YOU’RE A REAL PERSON!” Hope exclaimed. “You’re not just on the computer! Group hug, group hug!”

It was one of the best group hugs I’d ever received. I did not feel worthy of the adoration. I have wanted to meet this family for years. I have followed @Figment Forever ’s trip reports since 2013, when Hope was 4. I was probably even more excited to meet them than they were to meet me!

View attachment 787652

Hope took a selfie of us with her phone and mine.

View attachment 787653

We chatted. We laughed. I even asked Ross why he wasn’t wearing Crocs. :hilarious: I was disappointed I did not meet “The Boy” but Julia gave me a quick update before going off to join him.

A trip highlight indeed!

Once back on the monorail I texted Woody to see if he was up for meeting for dinner. We decided on Capt. Cooks (as if we hadn’t eaten enough meals at the Poly yet!)

The Aloha pork sandwich hit the spot for both of us.

View attachment 787658
(Pic courtesy of Disney Food Blog.)

Woody shared tidbits of an interesting conversation he’d overheard while on the boat to Poly.

Fun Fact: “The CEO of Disney lives in an apartment inside the Magic Kingdom. All current CEOs are required to live there.”

(The statement was said with authority, so it must be true, right?)

And as the boat approached the bungalows, this little gem: “Wonder why they didn’t build any ramps to those duplexes on the water? How are you supposed to get to them?”

(Yep, that’s a real mystery….)

On the boat back, we were graced with the presence of the former lead singer of the B-52’s.

View attachment 787654

We disembarked at MK for a twilight spin on the Peoplemover. Extra evening hours for deluxe resort guests was from 10 pm to midnight. In my fantasy world, we would have stayed and played. In reality, we were back at the Grand Floridian in time to watch Happily Ever After from the marina.

View attachment 787657

Too funny about B-52 lady…!!!!! :hilarious:
I first saw them at the Armadillo World Headquarters here in Austin in 1980, a few months before they tore it down to put up a 13-story office building…sad day, that.
Anyway, it was a more intimate setting, by far, than the large venues, and we were right up front dancing the whole show…ohhh, to be young again…!!!!! 🤪😎😅
To this day, it remains one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen…!!!!! 😊

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, May 9

We got to the MK during early entry but we bypassed attractions in favor of waiting to be one of the first on Haunted Mansion.

And we were. ❤️

Without thinking to check the app (the park had just opened after all) we walked all the way to BTMRR to find it closed. On to Pirates - also closed. The end of the line time for Jungle Cruise was 60 minutes - nope to that!

Surprisingly Peter Pan was 30 minutes so we took flight. Little Mermaid had no wait and we were stopped here for a bit -

IMG_3219.jpeg

- but the ride was redeemed when Woody waved.

IMG_3220.jpeg

Shirley Status on the MPB? Yes, please.

IMG_3221.jpeg

While onboard during our grand circle tour, I snagged a lunch reservation at The Plaza.

Our last experience there wasn’t the best but we decided it was worth another chance. The chef salad I had was a generous size and freshly made (I had requested a couple substitutions). It was a perfect for a hot day. Woody had no trouble finishing his turkey club. We saved the best for last - chocolate shakes for dessert.

IMG_3222.jpeg

(Although they could have used a bit more whipped cream!)

Service was good, all in all a nice lunch.

Wait times had substantially increased - as had the heat - so we left the park in favor of resort time. Woody read and napped in the air-conditioned comfort of our room while I stayed submerged in the deep end of the pool for a couple hours.

Not Kidding Season 4 GIF by The Office

Minnie1986

Tuesday, May 7

Today was our Epcot day and thanks to Em, we had a VQ for Guardians. We arrived in time for early entry and accomplished Soarin’, LWTL, Nemo (cuz Em refuses to ride it :cautious:) and Spaceship Earth in a little over an hour.

I found the perfect tee for me in the Seas gift shop.

View attachment 787305

I only took a picture of it - because it will last longer. :hilarious:

Speaking of tees, I saw a guest sporting one that you procrastinators will appreciate -
Don’t rush me. I’m waiting for the last minute.

BG 29 was called early enough in the day that we only waited 30 minutes rather than the usual 50. Woody saved the Galaxy via September while I was chickening out.

We strolled around the park enjoying the floral displays and topiaries. Woody said the Festival had a lot more flowers than in recent years and I agree. A picture of him with his favorite character was a must.

View attachment 787309

He does miss the “garden” part of the Festival (displays, demonstrations and classes) from the pre-food booth years.

The humidity was brutal today and we popped into Mexico to cool off. We had enough time to ride the boat in search of Donald before our lunch ADR.

Or so we thought.

There were only a few people in the queue and we were very close to the load zone when the ride suffered “technical difficulties” and maintenance was summoned. (A returning boat had tripped a sensor in the unload area.) However Woody and I were trapped - that narrow-width queue was now filled with guests behind us and there was no way we could leave.

And there was no way to modify our ADR without calling. Couldn’t call without a signal. Once again we’d be late to a meal!

While the boat ride was pleasant, the power-walk to Italy in 92 degree heat was not. 🥵

Thankfully our tardiness was forgiven and we were blessed to be seated in the back of the quiet room which had plenty of a/c.

View attachment 787306

View attachment 787307

We had a sweet American server (no “attitude” 😉) who did not rush us. Not sure which we enjoyed more - the pizza or the drinks!

View attachment 787308

Our leisurely lunch provided the necessary stamina for the rest of our tour on the surface of the sun.

We got back to our room late afternoon and crashed. Prior evening plans were scrapped in favor of staying local. I was able to switch our ‘Ohana reservation from later in the week to tonight, and the food was great. Brother T is obsessed with the bread pudding so I sent this to taunt him.

View attachment 787310

We debated hanging around the Poly to watch HEA from the beach but ultimately decided not to deal with the crowds.

We had a perfectly fine view from our turret.

View attachment 787530
Was the lunch at Via Napoli? That cocktail with the strawberry looks AMAZING, especially since it's in the 90s today!

dizfan917

Welcome to the club of 'Hanging Out with the @Figment Forever Fam'! They are lots of fun and I look forward to seeing them every time we're in the World together. Hope always regales us with Disney Trivia and I love to hear all she has to share! We've even met "the Boy"! :geek: We got to relax in the DVC Member Lounge in the glass pyramid for a little while with them last September.

lindawdw

Good move on making HM your first ride! The park fills up pretty quickly these days after park opening! Glad to hear that you had a better experience at The Plaza restaurant this trip! Your milkshakes look so good and what a perfect dessert drink on a hot day!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I love the Woody wave at the end of Little mermaid. Even when I ride it in California I do the wave and make Brad do it too.
Awesome Well Done GIF by CBC

Welcome to the club of 'Hanging Out with the @Figment Forever Fam'! They are lots of fun and I look forward to seeing them every time we're in the World together. Hope always regales us with Disney Trivia and I love to hear all she has to share! We've even met "the Boy"! :geek: We got to relax in the DVC Member Lounge in the glass pyramid for a little while with them last September.
walk into the club like GIF

When’s the next meeting? I believe I’ve been promised a drink….

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

I will never be able to convey the evening’s events as well as @Tony the Tigger did in his TR. His posts made me laugh out loud.

From the moment I first met Tony in 2016 I knew I had to be his friend. I have been blessed with many opportunities to spend time with him over the years and I am grateful.

Although I never expected one of them would be a 2.5 hour dinner at Skipper Canteen - which ended only when I asked Woody what time it was getting to be and he announced, “It’s five minutes to nine!”

IMG_3226.jpeg

Don’t worry, we weren’t table hogs. There were plenty of open tables in the restaurant. Nor was the service slow - we had a wonderful server who didn’t mind our lingering.

This was our first time back at Skipper Canteen in three years. Woody and I had a few so-so experiences following an amazing meal during its grand opening, and the restaurant fell off our radar.

Color us impressed tonight. Atmosphere, service, wine and food have us considering future visits once again.

Dr. Falls Signature Grilled Steak with roasted peppers, onions and tomatoes was right up my alley and did not disappoint.

IMG_3227.jpeg

Thankfully we had settled our bill before Woody’s “time announcement.”

Because the first words out of my mouth were, “I can’t miss the fireworks!”

Well the three of us hustled to ride Big Thunder Mountain as the soundtrack to HEA played and fireworks boomed around us. There was no line (since the crowd in front of BTM was watching the show before entering the queue) and we walked right onto a train.

IMG_3813.jpeg

Riding during fireworks was incredible. Once we disembarked we hung around to watch the rest of the show.

IMG_3230.jpeg

Did our fun end there? Oh no, it did not. We managed to do both Pirates and Jungle Cruise before the park closed at 10pm.

IMG_3229.jpeg

As we pulled away from the dock our Skipper chirped, “Unlike the water we are all clear!”

How cool was it that Woody and I got to ride the three attractions we’d been unable to this morning?!!

1717355631795.gif

Tony the Tigger

I will never be able to convey the evening’s events as well as @Tony the Tigger did in his TR. His posts made me laugh out loud.
I left out some details so you could fill them in - and you did!
From the moment I first met Tony in 2016 I knew I had to be his friend. I have been blessed with many opportunities to spend time with him over the years and I am grateful.
Don’t try to make me tear up on my Sunday night sofa time. 😉 You know I feel the same. 💕
Although I never expected one of them would be a 2.5 hour dinner at Skipper Canteen
Translation: this guy wouldn’t shut up!

That evening was a great time. I’ve often mentioned how much Brian and I love that time of night at MK where you can walk on most of the big rides, and we did just that - but the bonus was having my eyes opened to BTMRR during the fireworks (!!) Thank you both for that 😀 and for your company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom