Short term gain to alleviate bad management over the last few years?

mwlillie

Original Poster
Let me start off by saying I don't have an MBA , but after more then twenty years experience selling to the government (for various public companies that have revenues anywhere from 200 million to 20 billion a year) I can at least express my thoughts without being accused of having no experience or intelligence.

Everything I'm seeing here from reducing the hours for monorails to cancelling "ESPN The Weekend" and to the sudden annouce of park ticket prices points to internal strategies within the company to reduce costs by 10 to 15 percent, and increase existing revenues by three to five percent. Which shoud result in a margin gain of about seven to eight percent for this current fiscal year.

I can go on and on about the various ways and strategies I see being implemented to accomplish the above, not to mention moving executives around that have been successful in the above. But, I won't.

Every indication I have seems to say that revenues are down significantly in the last 180 to 270 days, and to meet Wall Street expectations of 4 to 7 percent growth on a yearly basis (expectations usually set by the way from major shareholders) I wonder if more significant cuts on one the way. Or, possibly sudden increases by four to six percent of food and beverages in the park or on-property rooms. Possible daily parades being reduced in number from seven times a week to maybe four. You might even see annoucements delaying for example the fantasyland expansion opening date by 90 to 180 days, or increased time to accomplish refurbishment (thus reducing attraction operating costs) or delay of expected refurbishment.

As I stated earlier, I'm just speaking my mind, but speaking it with concern about Disney Park trends that disturb me. What I dread is that the above cost cutting measures are being taken to increase revenue which increase reflected profits and thus increase purchase price of the parks.

wolf359

I've felt a lot of the internal changes and simplification of the corporate structure has been an indication of Bob Iger's frustration with the way the company was organized when he took over. I don't recall the exact wording he used in one of his press conferences, but it seemed clear to me he found getting things accomplished was harder because of the way things used to be.

Ticket prices change every year, often more than once. ESPN Weekend? I honestly don't know much about that one, but if it didn't meet attendance expectations, I can't imagine continuing it would make any financial sense. Monorail reductions are an indication that they're finally putting long-term maintenance ahead of short-term band aids or outright ignoring problems.

I don't think any of these events signal intent to make the Disney Parks more valuable to a potential buyer, but instead a restructuring and re-investment in the company to make it more efficient, higher quality, and most importantly; viable in the long term.

Lee

Adventurer
It's not a new phenomenon.
For a few years now, Disney has been sacrificing both long-term profit and the "brand's" value for short term gain. It's all been about the quarterly numbers.

rsoxguy

Yes, but on the bright side the kids sometimes get those free round Mickey stickers upon entering the parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The company has no problem being viable... the problem is meeting growth and margin expectations externally.

The company is plenty cash positive.. they could invest way more every year if they cared to. They just can't do that in front of wall street.

It's been 'short term gain' over long term product health for years now. Business as usual...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom