Shooting gallery rides like Buzz

Disneynutcase

Original Poster
Hey, I just returned from a trip to Santa Cruz and ventured to an amusement park I haunted probably more than any other in my youth--Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

I hadn't been back for about a decade. Seems like they really spruced it up. Lots of fresh paint, not so many vagrants. The funniest description came from my eight year old who claimed that, "it sure is a lot like that ride area at California Adventure."

It was fun to see that they haven't messed with the infamous Giant Dipper (now 75 years young) at all, that they still offer a ton of sticky, gooey, and greasy-yummy food (deep fried artichoke hearts, mmmmm!) and that the hokey Haunted Castle is just as bad as it's always been.
Near the somewhat old Loggers Revenge Flume ride, they seemed to have added a new ride (from what I was told within the last year) that is very much like Buzz Lighyear's Space Ranger Spin. It's called Ghost Blasters. Same kind of cheapie dark ride concept except in this one, whenever you hit targets something cool happens, like ghosts appear or spooky pictures change. It was a lot of fun. But we really enjoyed Buzz a lot, too.

So the question for you is this: are there other rides like Buzz, Men In Black at Universal Florida, and Ghost Blasters out there at other theme parks? If so, what are their concepts/themes?

Because of the cause and effect interaction when you hit a target, I kind of liked what they went for in this Ghost Blasters thing better than Buzz's Spin. This ride had a score read-out, lazer guns, the whole copy-cat bit. Effects wise, it was overall a bit cheaper looking than Buzz--more like a shoot 'em up Mr. Toad's Wild Ride--lots of characters pasted onto plywood. But it also reminded me a bit of the spooky humor done in Haunted Mansion. Anyone else been on it?

rocketman23

Yes, there are several of these rides made by Sally Corporation. I myself am going to try two of these out next week. I'll be at Carowinds where they have a Scooby Doo themed one, and Myrtle Beach where it is a western themed one. Here is a website with all their rides... they really are a fantastic dark ride company!

http://www.sallycorp.com/darkrides/

Disneynutcase

Original Poster
Hmmm.

Thanks for the info. Interesting web-site. We're actually planning a vacation to Myrtle Beach right after school gets out for summer next year in '03. I'm totally ignorant of that part of the U.S., so now I'm excited.

Since you said you're going to Myrtle Beach, I have a question for you pertaining to it and the Sally Corporation web-site. How many amusement parks/boardwalk ride areas does Myrtle Beach have? The Sally site listed a few rides as being in Myrtle Beach. Is there just one place or do the town have more than one amusement park?

Where is Carowinds? Is that South Carolina as well? If so, how far from Myrtle Beach or Charlotte (our two intended tourist destinations) is it? And if it is nearby, is it worth going to? Just curious and a little excited.

Here I was thinking we'll just eat, enjoy the Southern hospitality, and soak up some rays on the beach. And now I find out that they have rides, too?:sohappy:

I knew that Buzz Lightyear and Men In Black couldn't be the only rides of this ilk. A rumor went around a while ago that DL or DCA might be getting Buzz Lightyear which would be cool. Now if someone can get that crappy Dinosaur ride out of Knotts Berry Farm and put in this shooting gallery-type dark ride, I'd be in hog heaven.

FanofDinsey1981

I just got back from myrtle beach! there are two out door ride parks there, with decent sized roller coasters. they are both ride in the mist of the main strip.

and check out Broadway at the Beach. Very cool place to shop and eat. It is a lot like disney's downtown area. (in fact, I just read an article where theycall it "disneyesque). they have a ton of shops, a butterfly pavilion, an aquarium, an IMAX theatre, and a regualar movie theatre. and there is a great place to go mini-golfing, called "dragon's lair". I love dragons, so it was a lot of fun.

I think carowinds is about a 3 hour journey from the beach, I am pretty sure it borders north and south carolina. I haven't been there, but Ihear it is kinda cool.

and to comment on the thread.... I think there is a scooby-doo themed ride just like buzz in st. louis, at the six flags there. or so the picture on the tv would have me believe!

bearboysnc

Where is Carowinds? Is that South Carolina as well?

The park straddles the NC/SC boarder 10 miles south of Charlotte.

I can see the sky tower from my window here at work :)

is it worth going to?

Yes, it's nice. It has a Waterpark inside, so you can visit both with one admission. A few good thrills. It's good for a days worth of fun. Not much in Charlotte to do otherwise.

I thought the Scooby-Do ride was cheap, until I went on the Buzz ride. THATS CHEAP. At least on SD the props and characters are 3 dimentional. Very few cardboard cutouts here.

We have one that is probably very similar to Ghost Blasters, called Ghost Hunt at Lake Compounce here in Bristol, CT (the entrance to the park is right across from the ESPN campus!). It's a haunted mansion and you shoot at little targets which "make things happen" -- coffins open, ghosts appear and disappear, etc. -- and you get a score. There are spitting gargoyles outside which are a fun touch, and an area where you get misted with water inside. Very cute, very fun, always a VERY long line as the cars move pretty slow.

stingrock23

There's one down here in New Orleans at Jazzland. It's called Mardi Gras Mambo or Madness. I'm not sure, i've never been on it, but i hear it's pretty fun. It may even have a different name, i'm not really sure, but there is one here. I liked men in black a lot, but liked buzz more. I think it's a great new ride concept.

all_good_chic

In the amusemant park close to me they have a scooby doo attraction just like buzz lightyear. IT's great! you ride in small mystery machines and when you hit the targets ghosts and scooby snacks jump out. I think its just as good as buzz lightyears except for the fact you can't spin the car around but you know they all can't be like disney :)

rocketman23

Originally posted by Disneynutcase
Since you said you're going to Myrtle Beach, I have a question for you pertaining to it and the Sally Corporation web-site. How many amusement parks/boardwalk ride areas does Myrtle Beach have? The Sally site listed a few rides as being in Myrtle Beach. Is there just one place or do the town have more than one amusement park

Myrtle Beach has two Sally rides. One Is Pistolero Pete's Round-Up, the other Haunted Hotel. The Haunted Hotel is a neat kind of notalgia ride-through dark ride with no guns, Pistolero is a shoot-up ride similar to Buzz, except you can't spin the cars and the guns are not mounted. The two primary amusement parks are Myrtle Beach Pavillion and Family Kingdom, but there are several other smaller ride parks and individual attractions.

http://www.mbpavilion.com/
http://www.family-kingdom.com/

There is an old jailhouse on the river type ride at Silver Dollar
City in Branson, Mo. It has been there since I was a small child
(70's) but has been revamped with laser guns that tally points.
Some targets do stuff like make the inmates holler or move
small metal props and make them spin or make a noise. It is
a dark water ride with six seater boats that is very tame,
I even saw Grandmas enjoying it. The laser guns are very amusing. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom