Shades of Green

Allygator

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures/tips from staying here or a TR. Thinking about staying here in 2013. Thank you!

jaly

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures/tips from staying here or a TR. Thinking about staying here in 2013. Thank you!

Wish I could give some meaningful advice, however, the last time I stayed there was in 1993. I do recall that the rooms were nice and the prices were reasonable and we enjoyed ourselves.

One thing I just found out is that non-retired Veterans can stay at Shades of Green in two designated months (Sept 2011 and January 2012). We are going in November so could not make use of the facility. I am not sure if this was a one time deal or if Shades of Green periodically allows Veterans to stay at the resort.

Upvote 0

virginia844

Thanks for all the info. :) Is there bus service to each of the parks from the resort or will a car be necessary?

We have stayed at the Shades several times, love everything about it EXCEPT the bus service ! And yes, there is service to each park and Downtown Disney. But unless there has been a major change, be prepared for lots of aggravation !

Upvote 0
just stayed at SoG

We stayed at Shades of Green Sep 5-Sep 11th. It was great, well maintained, clean and wonderful service. We were going to go to their Octoberfest celebration, but didn't feel that it was worth the cost.

Upvote 0

Allygator

Original Poster
We are thinking of going for 4 or 5 days and renting a car since (I'm ashamed to admit) my husband is not that into Disney. Hopefully I can change his mind! How far in advance for reservations?

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

I don't know about reservations, but if anyones concerned about the bus transportation and not bothered by some extra walking the Polynesian is right there to get the monorail. It is a beautiful resort though and the rooms are some of the biggest I've stayed in. In my opinion the dining options there are slighty lacking but that doesn't make a difference to me since theres so many other places to eat in Disney.

Upvote 0

a2grafix

Thanks for all the info. :) Is there bus service to each of the parks from the resort or will a car be necessary?

I spent 5 days at Shades beginning of October and I can tell you that guests of Shades have the luxury of either riding Shades transportation to and from the Disney parks, walking 5 minutes down a path and across the street to the Polynesian to catch a monorail or Disney bus to a Disney park / water park / Downtown Disney, or walk a little further through the Polynesian to the Transportation and Ticket Center for a trip to Epcot.

There is also a path between the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian.

Inside the lobby of Shades, there is a sign with bus routes and times of operation. Shades takes care of its guests. I think of the Shades Disney buses sort of like base buses -operating on the half-hour to / from your destination.

The best is that you can mix and match - take the Shades bus X park, visit the park, then return on Disney transportation (Polynesian Resort), or vice-versa, whatever is most accommodating for you.

On top of that if you are interested to visit SeaWorld or Universal Florida Studio / Islands of Adventure, it will cost you and each member of your family $10 roundtrip on a van provided by Shades.

You really don't need a car to rent to get from here to there. You are on Disney property and are treated as a Disney guest. Staying at Shades provides you and your family to a little bit more, a little bit extra.

If you do decide to rent a car ($5 parking a day in multi-level indoor garage), the best is to not use the rental car while on your stay. If you decide to drive instead of using Disney-provided free transportation, you will have to pay to park your car at the park ($14-$18).

As for getting to Shades from MCO Orlando International, best service is to take Mears Shuttle. $34.00 roundtrip per person.

As for reservations, are you asking for reservations to Shades eateries? You really do not need a reservation. If you would like to schedule a reservation for a Disney restaurant, the best is to call Walt Disney World to help you.

Better yet, before you do anything, call Shades of Green. They are the point of contact for all things military and Disney. They will take care of you. Call Shades at 1.888.593.2242.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

TOTALLY AGREE with the above - best transportation on property.
We were never aggravated because we knew exactly when which bus was going where and of course we used the bus to the TTC and caught buses to AK and HS if we missed a bus and didn't want to wait.

If you are on Facebook there are two pages. One a fan page and the other is run by Shades of Green. There are photos and forums.

As for Allears.... There are 4 buses not just A & B. There are more than one ATM. Etc.

Upvote 0

BUZZCRUSH

Agree with both posts above,we stay at sog every year and we've also stayed at other disney properties and sog wins hands down. you will never get closer to disney for such a great price, rooms are huge compared to disney moderate resorts. buses are not that crowded compared to disney buses. Having stayed both at sog and disney I would always choose sog. plus you can walk to monorail at the poly or ride via the golf cart shuttle. if you stayed at a disney moderate your walk to a bus stop is as long or longer

Upvote 0

Kirk88

I've heard great things about Shades of Green (if you can book a reservation). We found out this summer though (from Disney) that Shades of Green forced Disney's hand with their military discounts. If you actually call (do not book through ITT) Disney reservations and let them know you are military, they have a VERY generous discount for lodging and meal plans. We did both of our trips this summer this way and saved a bundle! Just another outlet for you if Shades of Green doesn't work out.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom