Separate Parks In Universal Orlando?

jkl2000

Original Poster
I've never been to Universal Orlando, so this is a noob question and probably something that's been discussed a lot (unless I'm completely wrong), but:

Are the parks at Universal large enough and separated enough "distance-wise" from each other that they can really be considered separate parks that should require a park-hopper type pass to go from one to another in the same day? Or did Universal just pretend they are to have a similar pricing structure to WDW? Because looking at the maps it doesn't seem to be THAT big, and I don't really get the thematic separation of the parks in some instances. But maybe you have to be there to get it.

A sort of related question: I'm not really sure where they hold Halloween Horror Nights - is that space used for something the rest of the year, and if so what?

The Pho

The parks are next to each other, just a short walk (5-10 minutes) or taking the Hogwarts Express between them. I think for the average person, they are big enough to consider 2 parks and 2 days. For me, I always manage to do every ride in both parks in the same day (express pass makes it very easy), whenever I make the trip over. Distance wise, its no different than how Disneyland has 2 parks right next to each other, but charges for separate admission because they can. If they wanted, they could easily be considered one large park.

lazyboy97o

Are Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure far enough apart?

Are Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySEA far enough apart?

Are Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios Park far enough apart?

Universal Studios Florida is becoming more and more Islands of Adventure 2, and the new park looks to be Islands of Adventure 3.

DRD

I just got back from our first trip to Universal and had the same question some time ago. It's a valid one. I would definitely recommend park hopper passes (or whatever Universal calls them). While we could have spent the entire day at just one of the 2 parks, we enjoyed having the option to go back and forth (and ride the Hogwarts Express between the 2).

Something else park hoppers allow you to do during this time of year is go to Islands of Adventure when Halloween Horror Nights takes over at Universal. While IoA is pretty crowded during this time as a result, at least you're not completely out of options. We spent the morning in Universal, then evening at IoA.

HHN is actually set up in Universal and you can see evidence of it during the day in some areas. While the scare zones aren't open, you can tell certain areas are themed for it. You'll encounter random boxes or things like that which clearly have something to do with a scare zone, but it's not really distracting. There's an area just outside Springfield that's pretty heavily themed for HHN but wasn't spooky at all walking through the day (and I have 2 kids that are scared at the least little thing).

raven

A sort of related question: I'm not really sure where they hold Halloween Horror Nights - is that space used for something the rest of the year, and if so what?
The haunted houses for HHN are built in either production sound stages, parade storage buildings or other large backstage facilities. These are used throughout the rest of the year for television/movie production and other theme park related use.

Weather_Lady

First off, I highly recommend paying extra for the park-to-park (Universal's term for "parkhopper") tickets -- and when I say park-to-park, I mean the 2-park ticket for Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure, not the 3-park ticket that includes Volcano Bay waterpark.

Once you've explored the two Universal parks (which takes 2-3 days depending on how exhaustively you want to cover them, and whether you have Express Pass access to shorten wait times), it's fun to be able to hop back and forth to revisit favorite attractions. Plus, there's no other way to ride the Hogwarts Express between the parks. As others said, the parks are very close to one another, so it's conceivable to hop back and forth multiple times in a day if you so chose. You can walk briskly from the front gate of one to the other in 5 minutes, no bus/boat/monorail needed.

Another tip for the OP: I don't know how long of a visit you're planning, but if you are: (1) visiting for 3, 4 or more days; (2) aren't planning to visit during seasonal annual pass blockout dates - primarily the weeks before/after Easter, Christmas through New Years', and the month of July; (3) want to stay onsite at a Universal-owned hotel; and (4) think there's the slightest chance you might want to return anytime within one year of your first Universal visit; THEN you should seriously consider buying Seasonal Annual Passes for your party (instead of multi-day tickets).

A Seasonal Annual Pass currently costs just $5 more than a 4-day, 2-park "park to park" ticket (and just $20 more than a comparable 3-day ticket) AND - this is the biggest plus - it will entitle you to annual passholder discounts at Universal hotels, where and when offered. We saved 20% on our hotel stay at Hard Rock the last time we visited, and will be saving over 30% when we go again over the coming February break at Royal Pacific ($275/night instead of $409/night!). That cost difference allows us to stay at the hotels that offer free Unlimited Express Pass as an amenity - a $100 per person, per day, value all by itself - without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

OG Runner

Are Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure far enough apart?

Are Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySEA far enough apart?

Are Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios Park far enough apart?

Funny, but I don't think that was the question that was asked.

OG Runner

The two parks are fairly close, but they are completely separate parks and you need the Universal version of the Park Hopper ticket,
to ride the Hogwarts Express and go to both parks on the same day. It is definitely worth having the option.

OG Runner

The question included an issue of distance. Those are other parks that are also very close together.

He didn't ask, are there other parks that are close together. He was asking about purchasing a Universal "park hopper" ticket,
based on how close those two parks are.

righttrack

You are essentially walking the boardwalk between Epcot and Disney Studios. That probably is overstating it a bit. They are closer together than that.

lazyboy97o

He didn't ask, are there other parks that are close together. He was asking about purchasing a Universal "park hopper" ticket,
based on how close those two parks are.
No, he asked if Universal is really justified in saying they have two separate parks or if they are “pretending” to have two parks to charge more.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom