Selfie Stick or Not

mousehockey37

Calling security brainless.... brainless move.

The top device has a tripod mount on it. I could see it being blocked. The bottom device, you may get questioned if you have it detached when going through bag check.

If you make an item look like a selfie stick, then it will be labeled as such and dealt with accordingly.

At all costs, contact Disney with your inquiry. If you can't get in touch with anyone, my best advice would be to leave it home.

NowInc

Stabilizers/Gimbals are allowed, as long as you don't try and use it as a selfie stick (ie: Extending it beyond a reasonable distance from your body).

Also, security are not the brainless ones...that title is reserved for the people who created the problem which ushered in the banning in the first place.

trampdog

Original Poster
Stabilizers/Gimbals are allowed, as long as you don't try and use it as a selfie stick (ie: Extending it beyond a reasonable distance from your body).

Also, security are not the brainless ones...that title is reserved for the people who created the problem which ushered in the banning in the first place.

I have no intention of using them as selfie sticks. I try to avoid taking pictures of myself as I don't find myself all that attractive :).

I retract my statement that security is brainless. You are right, it's the tourons (mainly from outside of US) that caused the issue in the first place.

thomas998

I have no intention of using them as selfie sticks. I try to avoid taking pictures of myself as I don't find myself all that attractive :).

I retract my statement that security is brainless. You are right, it's the tourons (mainly from outside of US) that caused the issue in the first place.
Actually it wasn't the tourists from outside the US that caused the ban. The ban originated from DL which caters more to locals than foreigners and having been a regular visitor to that park for the past 10 years I can assure you it was mostly locals that were going nuts with the selfie sticks. Even after the ban the California Scream'n got stopped on more than one occasion because some idiot thought a selfie stick on a high speed roller coaster was a great idea - NOT.

NowInc

Actually it wasn't the tourists from outside the US that caused the ban. The ban originated from DL which caters more to locals than foreigners and having been a regular visitor to that park for the past 10 years I can assure you it was mostly locals that were going nuts with the selfie sticks. Even after the ban the California Scream'n got stopped on more than one occasion because some idiot thought a selfie stick on a high speed roller coaster was a great idea - NOT.

I am sure the Locals in cali were bad, but as a very frequent visitor to the FL parks, I can attest to the out of country tourists swinging them around without care of those around them. Needless to say it was a VERY large amount. The problem with them didn't stem from a single group, but the significant spread and use of them called for the restrictions not only at theme parks, but in various other locations as well.

thomas998

I am sure the Locals in cali were bad, but as a very frequent visitor to the FL parks, I can attest to the out of country tourists swinging them around without care of those around them. Needless to say it was a VERY large amount. The problem with them didn't stem from a single group, but the significant spread and use of them called for the restrictions not only at theme parks, but in various other locations as well.
I don't disagree that selfie stick weren't annoying in WDW... but their usage at WDW was much less prevalent than at DL... And unless I'm mistaken the initial ban was at DL and then just adopted by the other parks that followed along... Which probably indicates that the ban was set in motion by the Cali-locals with everyone else being impacted for good or bad because of them, not the WDW visitor local or foreign.

mousehockey37

I don't disagree that selfie stick weren't annoying in WDW... but their usage at WDW was much less prevalent than at DL... And unless I'm mistaken the initial ban was at DL and then just adopted by the other parks that followed along... Which probably indicates that the ban was set in motion by the Cali-locals with everyone else being impacted for good or bad because of them, not the WDW visitor local or foreign.

In any event, the devices presented a huge safety hazard, not only for the person holding it, but for everyone else on the ride with them. One wrong move and scenery could strike and injure someone, etc.

Pertaining to this thread though, as I said earlier... If you treat it like a selfie stick, they're going to label the device as such and take the appropriate actions to rid you of it. So hopefully the OP does the right thing.

trampdog

Original Poster
FYI, brought the stick looking gimbal and never had an issue or comment. Left the wearable at home. I don't intend to share my video here, but you'll just have to take my word that it was SSSSSMMMMOO000OOTTTTHHHHH!!! Selfies included :).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom