SeaWorld Orlando files plans for its first hotel

LittleMerman

Original Poster
SeaWorld Orlando might soon be joining its Central Florida rivals in offering an on-site hotel for its theme park guests.

The park has filed a Development Plan Review with Orange County for a 504-room hotel that it wishes to build on nearly 30 acres of back-of-house land at the corner of International Drive and Central Florida Parkway.

With the project name "Starboard," the 15-floor hotel would include 747 parking spaces and nearly 43,000 square feet of conference meeting space. It also would include a rooftop terrace bar. Hotel guests could access the theme park via an elevated boardwalk across landscaped grounds that would enter into the park next to the Nautilus theater.

SeaWorld long has talked about developing hotels for its theme park properties, which also include SeaWorld-branded parks in San Diego and San Antonio, as well as Busch Gardens-branded parks in Tampa and Williamsburg, Virginia. The company's Central Florida rivals - Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando and even Legoland Florida - all have multiple hotels on their properties, putting SeaWorld at a competitive disadvantage in booking guests who would have SeaWorld as their primary base for an Orlando-area vacation.

The approval process for the proposed hotel will carry into 2024. There's no timeline yet on when the hotel might open, should it be approved.

hotel-1.jpg

swo-hotel1.png

hotel-4.jpg

hotel-2.jpg

swo-hotel2.png

hotel-3.jpg

Sources:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I love SWO and visit every time I'm in Orlando. However, unless they can get their actual in-park operations running on the levels similar to WDW and UNI, I see no way they will ever be able to efficiently run a hotel of this magnitude.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom