Sea World Auditions...

Kristi Kay

Original Poster
I've been curious my entire life on how the performers who do the shows at Shamu Stadium get their jobs? Are they marine biologist or what? That would be the most fantastic job on the earth!!! I would love any insight or tips on when they do interview/auditions....

Thanks in Advance,
Kristi

CatLady

The folks you see at Shamu stadium generally worked their way up from other areas at SeaWorld. It isn't unusual to see someone start in the Education department, transfer to animal care, then eventually make it to animal training. Even animal trainers get moved from location to location, so making it to that rather elite group still doesn't guarantee that you will ever work with the killer whales. Some people end up at the sea lion or dolphin shows instead. You have to work your way up, have (learn) the right skillset, and fit the image that they are trying to project in the shows in order to be a trainer at Shamu stadium.

crazydaveh

The Shamu trainers come from many walks of life. Some are marine biologists, one is a former TV reporter, some have worked their way up at the park as previously stated, and others have been teachers... The list goes on.

Starting pay is around $10 an hour to be a trainer. It's not great money, but it's something rare and flat out cool. The people in the Beer House make better money than starting Shamu trainers! Can you see where AB IV puts his interest?

Nicole220

The Shamu trainers come from many walks of life. Some are marine biologists, one is a former TV reporter, some have worked their way up at the park as previously stated, and others have been teachers... The list goes on.

Starting pay is around $10 an hour to be a trainer. It's not great money, but it's something rare and flat out cool. The people in the Beer House make better money than starting Shamu trainers! Can you see where AB IV puts his interest?
Took the words right out of my mouth. You can major in anything or have a previous job in anything, and still get a job as a trainer. The trainers don't get paid much and most, if not all have other jobs. But it's not about the money, it's about the connection with the animals that you get. You don't start out with killer whales. They either start you in seal lions or dolphins first, and you work your way up from there.

The hiring process is long and hard. You have to pass a dive test, recite a few lines from the show in front of everyone, learn a dance and perform it, do improv, and the most important...the swim test. In the swim test, you have to touch the bottom and swim the length of the tank underwater. I have heard from the trainers that it is hard and even some great lifeguards and swimmers have not passed. I have swam in the tank and it was the hardest thing! I'm a great swimmer, but it was so cold in there!

I have wanted to be a trainer for years now. I've done trainer for a day at Sea World in San Diego and it was one of the best days of my life! I have also done a week long career camp there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom