Scooter questions

mickeypal1

My family and I go every year and enjoy ourselves. This year we have decided to take my MIL and FIL with us. My MIL is not in the greatest of health but really wants to go. We have decided to rent a scooter for her because she can not walk or stand very long. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Please only helpful things. We are not trying to cut in lines and such. Just want to have a pleasant trip. Thanks for any help you can give us.

cdunbar

I know there is a service that does scooters and strollers, Orlando rentals perhaps...estow, I think that's her username, talked about them in her most recent trip report. Google scooter rentals in Orlando and see what you come up with I would then come back here and see what everyone on here says about them...:wave:

Upvote 0

mousebymarriage

If you don't want the expense of the scooter or if you think your MIL may be a little nervous about using a scooter, you can get a wheelchair for FREE from your resort if you are staying on property. When you check in either ask at the desk or go to luggage sevices. They will give you a wheelchair to use for the extent of your stay for free. It really comes in handy especially if she has trouble standing for long periods of time (waiting at the resort for buses may be too long of a stand for her).
Remember if you rent a scooter or wheelchair at the parks your MIL still has to get from the buses or parking lot to the rental area.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We were wondering about this too. If we rent a ECV, say in MK and hop to Epcot later in the day and there are none left, do we get refunded anything or would we have to then just use a wheelchair? Anyone have this situation? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Mystic

My family and I go every year and enjoy ourselves. This year we have decided to take my MIL and FIL with us. My MIL is not in the greatest of health but really wants to go. We have decided to rent a scooter for her because she can not walk or stand very long. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Please only helpful things. We are not trying to cut in lines and such. Just want to have a pleasant trip. Thanks for any help you can give us.

I had to rent a scooter for my most recent trip at the start of December due to a leg injury and having my leg in a cast. I rented from Walker Mobility The cost is about $30 a day depending on the size of the scooter needed, which is MUCH cheaper than renting from Disney. It also gives you the ability to use the scooter at the resort and for getting to and from the parks. Walker Mobility will deliver the scooter to your resort the day before you arrive and will pick it up on the day you check out. This way you have it the minute you arrive, you just have to ask the hotel concierge to get it for you.

Don't worry about cutting the lines with the scooter. There are very few attractions where you are 'cutting' the line. Most lines now are designed to take scooters in the main line. An example of these is Soarin', Imagination, Mission: Space. Some lines that you take the scooter through will have a wheelchair branch off at the point in the line where the line proceeds up stairs - Toy Story Mania, Splash Mountain. Some attractions will have you go in the exit, but then you have to wait until they can fit you in. Examples of these are Big Thunder, Small World, Spaceship Earth. At Spaceship Earth you will go in a side door to the building which takes you into the exit area of the attraction. You will find CMs manning this area and they will find out how many are in your party. At this point you may have to wait as they tend to gather about 6 or 7 wheelchair parties together and load them all at once. You may also find that if the attraction has fast passes, that you will need to either get a fastpass or if none are available, the CM working the fastpass line will write you a return pass for the length of time that is the current standby wait time, and the number in your party. At this point, it will work just like a fast pass. You return after the given amount of time and go through the fastpass line. If your MIL cannot walk through a line and scooters are not allowed in the attraction or the line cannot accommodate them, there will be wheelchairs available at the attraction to transfer her into so that she can enter the attraction.

We found the best thing to do is to simply ask the CM that is working the attraction what the wheelchair/scooter policy is. They will be able to tell you exactly what you have to do for that particular attraction.

Just be aware that your pace around the parks and in getting to the parks will be slower.

Here's a very useful tip to keep in mind. When exiting MK at the end of the day (i.e. park closing) stay up on the sidewalk on your right as you exit the park. In other words stay on the sidewalk next to the Emporium. I had an incident where they were telling everyone exiting to keep right but I had trouble getting over as no one would let me through. Because of this I got the front wheel of the scooter stuck in the trolley tracks on Main Street and I had a Photopass CM yelling at me to get out of his way so he could take a picture. Another exiting guest was nice enough to help me get the scooter out of the tracks. After that, we stuck to the sidewalk next to the Emporium when exiting.

Feel free to ask for any more help as I am more than willing to share my experience.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
You should be able to present your receipt at Epcot and get another ECV.
The question was what if they get to EPCOT with their receipt and there are no ECVs left.

I have no idea what Disney would do. They might give a wheelchair and perhaps phone your cell when an ECV is returned. :shrug:

Upvote 0

Mystic

The question was what if they get to EPCOT with their receipt and there are no ECVs left.

I have no idea what Disney would do. They might give a wheelchair and perhaps phone your cell when an ECV is returned. :shrug:

I believe this is what happens. When we were there, we were getting a locker at MK and someone came over to the ECV rental area and said that they had received a call saying that an ECV was now available.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

Thanks for the info! Husband broke ankle nearly a yr ago and still has problems getting around, so we might need to resort to using a ECV and were wondering...

Upvote 0

Mystic

Thanks for the info! Husband broke ankle nearly a yr ago and still has problems getting around, so we might need to resort to using a ECV and were wondering...

Susan, I just did the parks in a walking cast and ECV. I've got lots of tips and advice if you want it.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

Yes, I would appreciate that. I'm thinking he could use the ECV, park it outside the attraction(s) and walk in, take the ride, then return to ECV. It's not so critical that he can't walk thru a line que. It's just that after being on his foot all day long, would cause him a lot of pain.

Upvote 0

Mystic

Yes, I would appreciate that. I'm thinking he could use the ECV, park it outside the attraction(s) and walk in, take the ride, then return to ECV. It's not so critical that he can't walk thru a line que. It's just that after being on his foot all day long, would cause him a lot of pain.

Susan,

I'm going to send you my tips and advice through private messages. It's too much information to post on the main board.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom