Sci-Fi Channel at MGM

cknight66

Original Poster
I worked at MGM a number of years ago and remember The Sci-Fi Channel moving into Stage 2 and even setting up offices on the backlot. A little while later I moved to California for school and never heard or read why the network decided not to make MGM its home base.

Anyone know more?

xfkirsten

I wish SciFi would work at Disney-MGM studios! I watch that channel whenever I'm home...

In any case, I was really, really hoping that the Studios would get a Stargate ride since MGM owns the Stargate franchise... unfortunately, Six Flags got one instead. :( Disney could have done so much better...

cknight66

Original Poster
I agree. I think it would have been a boost for TV/ Film production in Orlando as well. I'm not sure if anything is being done there at all right now.

What was the last production to film at MGM? Do you they still have stages?

DarkMeasures

Yes. There is a Stargate ride. Six Flags Great America has one and that park is a hour away from me. I have yet to go on it but any film shown in that theatre besides the original is really really out of place.

Back in the 90's, there was actually an attempt to make Six Flags parks actually be of a high quality of Theming. The first example was Batman: The Ride. Despite having no story, the ride was really well themed and was pretty well designed and guests got close to crashing into some buildings. (which probably does not happen much on the clones).

Before this ride, the only theming done to a good level on any ride was Demon which added

Next came Space Shuttle America. A simulator ride that was really really well done. Probably the closes Six Flags has gotten to Disney. The only problem it faced was that it was a Simulator ride and it was the 90's. I mean even Disney Simulator rides are abandoned today. But it was just a good attempt. I can't complain about it.

Southwest Territory was the next added high themed part of the park but with the addition of Raging Bull to that area, the theming idea has basically died. I mean now there is a Superman ride in the New Orleans section of the park. Explain that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom