Sanaa bread service at home, my attempt to replicate

epcotisbest

Original Poster
We really like Sanaa, especially the bread service. It is such a special treat. To celebrate going back in September, I decided to attempt to replicate the experience at home.
I used Tandoori Naan from Trader Joe's and came up with four accompaniments. I also included, to round out the meal, some black bean and lentil curry soup from World Market and sauteed some sliced sausages with peppers. It turned out great and we had a fun time pretending we were at Sanaa. The views were not as good, but there were a couple of cats outside and couple of Maltese running around the room taking in the exotic smells, so we had wildlife (somewhat) as well.
For accompaniment I used a poblano pepper jelly, roasted red pepper and olives blended with olive oil, roasted red pepper hummus, and good ole southern spicy chow chow. I brushed the naan with melted butter and we really enjoyed this. I did make a huge mess in the kitchen, but always do. Sometimes when I cook, the meal is worth the mess, sometimes not. This time it was.
What have you tried to replicate in your kitchen from WDW and how did it turn out? Any pics?

IMG_9521.JPG

epcot2004

We made the Sweet Potato pancakes from Boatwright's (when they had breakfast!). Had some issues getting to cook thru with their recipe but with a slight modification we had success. Don't make as often as we should, no pics - sorry.

NiarrNDisney

Nice Job! Looks pretty good :hungry:

Right now I am attempting to make a menu for a barbecue themed to something like O'hana! Our Trader Joe's hasn't opened yet but thankfully I live near Asian Pacific Market, Whole Foods, and a few other Asian markets to make it happen.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Original Poster
We made the Sweet Potato pancakes from Boatwright's (when they had breakfast!). Had some issues getting to cook thru with their recipe but with a slight modification we had success. Don't make as often as we should, no pics - sorry.
Never tried those, but they sound good.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Nice Job! Looks pretty good :hungry:

Right now I am attempting to make a menu for a barbecue themed to something like O'hana! Out Trader Joe's hasn't opened yet but thankfully I live near Asian Pacific Market, Whole Foods, and a few other Asian markets to make it happen.
That sounds good. Please take some pics when you make it happen.

Phonedave

I make the flank steak from Garden Grill quite often. Sometimes I make it with London Broil instead (beef prices have been insane lately)

I made the Phyllo Wrapped Salmon Fillets from the Disney Cruise Line last week. The one other person that ate them (very few seafood fans in this family) thought they were excellent. I thought the sundried tomato and cheese filling could have been a little creamier - maybe adding some milk or cream to thin it out would have helped. But still they were good. But I have nothing to compare it to, as I don't think I have every had the dish on the cruise line.

-dave

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Tried Micky waffles, but they just weren't as good. If anyone has any pics of attempted "home" recipes such as Tonga Toast, that would be great!:D
We did Tonga Toast a few years ago and it turned out OK, but did not take pics. It was fun trying it at home, but my wife likes Tonga Toast more than I do.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Will do!

Thus far the menu is as follows:

Asian Pasta Salad (Served cold with Baby corn, Carrots, Edamame, Red Pepper, Shrimp and a Ginger sesame dressing)
Bulgogi (Korean Barbecued Beef)
Eggrolls (My friends famous recipe)
Kimchi
Passion Fruit Punch (Adults only)
Vegetable Potstickers
Wow, that sounds great, and a much more ambitious menu than my little creation. Good luck, hope it turns out fantastic.

NiarrNDisney

Wow, that sounds great, and a much more ambitious menu than my little creation. Good luck, hope it turns out fantastic.

It should be fine and quite easy for me since I will not be cooking alone, I have some experienced cooks and foodies helping me with the menu! I can't wait (7 days to go)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I make the cheese soup from Le Cellier frequently in the winter. Mama Melrose's Chicken parm is another frequent recipe in our house too. I also make the remoulde sauce and pomme frittes from Café Orleans (Disneyland). No pictures though. Maybe next time.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Filets that rival anything at Le Cellier. So tender and juicy. No cheese soup for me, but did make a nice salad with fresh cucumbers and tomatoes right out of the garden and had some potatoes to go with the filets. Also, that is fresh made salsa with onions, peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and lime. We dumped the fresh salsa right on the potatoes...yuuuummmm.

IMG_9466.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Filets that rival anything at Le Cellier. So tender and juicy. No cheese soup for me, but did make a nice salad with fresh cucumbers and tomatoes right out of the garden and had some potatoes to go with the filets. Also, that is fresh made salsa with onions, peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and lime. We dumped the fresh salsa right on the potatoes...yuuuummmm.

View attachment 62112

This looks good!

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

I would like to try to make crème brulee at home! I tried it for the first time on our Disneymoon in 2012... since I think I've tried almost every flavor offered on property! My favorites for far are the coffee flavoured crème brulee from Jiko and the chocolate crème brulee from Fulton's Crab house! SO DELICIOUS! :hungry:

epcotisbest

Original Poster
I would like to try to make crème brulee at home! I tried it for the first time on our Disneymoon in 2012... since I think I've tried almost every flavor offered on property! My favorites for far are the coffee flavoured crème brulee from Jiko and the chocolate crème brulee from Fulton's Crab house! SO DELICIOUS! :hungry:
Sounds good. I hope you give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom