Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros

MKCustodial

Original Poster
It was a long time since I had last seen these movies, and boy was I surprised. It's probably the best depiction of Brazil Hollywood has ever had, and I think it's only followed by Signs. Sure, it's some 60 years old, but at least it's not the old forest-samba-women-soccer-Spanish speaking we have around nowadays. It does have samba, but it's done beautifully integrated.

So I got curious. Maria, do you like Mexico's representation, or do you feel it's too seterotyped? And what about Panchito? Joe Carioca is dead-on smart-guy from Rio! :lol:

By the way, Rob, I know there's Panchito, but do they have Joe Carioca around the parks? I remember seeing him in a parade around 92, but other than that...

prberk

Originally posted by MKCustodial
It was a long time since I had last seen these movies, and boy was I surprised. It's probably the best depiction of Brazil Hollywood has ever had, and I think it's only followed by Signs.

I think that this just underscores Walt's thorough homework, as well as the intention that he had for the movies. I think that he really intended them to be goodwill gestures from America and American industry. They came at a time when global goodwill was seen as particularly helpful, and a way in which Hollywood could help international relations. Perhaps we can learn from that today!!

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Re: Re: Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros

Originally posted by prberk
I think that this just underscores Walt's thorough homework, as well as the intention that he had for the movies. I think that he really intending them to be goodwell gestures from America and American industry. They came at a time when global goodwill was seen as particularly helpful, and a way in which Hollywood could help international relations. Perhaps we can learn from that today!!

You can say that again! One of the bonuses from Saludos is their footage from the countries. My grandfather had a blast watching the town in the 40's. It just goes to show that you can do a good job if you put yourself to the effort of researching.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom