Running watches - advice needed

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I currently have a FitBit Charge 2 HR. Since I'm running outside (a lot) i'm looking at upgrading to either a Garmin forerunner 235 or a Fibit Ionic. Anyone have an opinion of either device?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I love my Ionic. All the apps you can add, Fitbit's OS is amazing. I purchased a sports band to replace the regular band, since it is a perforated band. I also bought a screen protector to protect the screen from scratches. If you are used to how Fitbit tracks and reports data, I'd remain with them. And having a gps watch means not having to take your phone with you. The Ionic will show detailed info on the screen. And finally, a waterproof one. I bought mine through Amazon. I'd also suggest purchasing an extra charger for travel.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I have a Garmin (230) and to be honest I usually only use it to show me my pace while my phone is in my pocket and to buzz if I'm doing intervals. I've found that I prefer using Runkeeper to track everything and my phone is always charged but my Garmin not always ... plus I find it a bit on the complicated side (because I never bothered to read the instruction manual.) So I'd say stick with the brand you are already used to unless there is something you absolutely can't do without on the Garmin.

RunningKoen

I've used my Garmin for over 3,5 year and I cannot complain. I love it. I have never had a fitbit, so I cant really compare both.

I use it only for the GPS function and it does that perfectly :)

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I love my Ionic. All the apps you can add, Fitbit's OS is amazing. I purchased a sports band to replace the regular band, since it is a perforated band. I also bought a screen protector to protect the screen from scratches. If you are used to how Fitbit tracks and reports data, I'd remain with them. And having a gps watch means not having to take your phone with you. The Ionic will show detailed info on the screen. And finally, a waterproof one. I bought mine through Amazon. I'd also suggest purchasing an extra charger for travel.

I'd still have to bring my phone to stream music (Spotify) the only thing about the Ionic is it looks clunky. I think I'll need to stop into Best Buy just to compare the Garmins to the Ionic for fit/size/clunkyness!

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'd still have to bring my phone to stream music (Spotify) the only thing about the Ionic is it looks clunky. I think I'll need to stop into Best Buy just to compare the Garmins to the Ionic for fit/size/clunkyness!

I haven't transferred my music from my iPod to my Ionic yet, as that requires connecting to my computer to accomplish the transfer. But the Ionic has Pandora and Deezer and then your own music function. If you find the Ionic too clunky for your wrist, look at the new Versa. It has all the functions of the Ionic (uses the same OS), but looks just like an Apple watch. It does not, however, have stand alone GPS. The Versa is $200, compared to $300 for the Ionic. The Versa also comes with both size bands.

Here's a side by side comparison of the two...

20180424_122129.jpg

LAKid53

Premium Member
The fitbit sounds nice. Hows the GPS function of the Ionic? and hows the battery?

Works great. It's fun to watch it readjust when you do those course switchbacks in rD races. I noticed it's sometimes off by 0.1 mile compared to rD's mile marks. But then it's telling me I've run more than 13.1 miles when it does.

Battery life 2-3 days.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I ended up with an IONIC. Still getting used to it but I like it so far. I have it sync'd to Strava now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom