Rockin' Roller Coaster Power

disney2b

Original Poster
Ok on rockin roller coaster, i'm almost sure they use a laptop and flash for the sceaming stereo. but it has to be recharged everytime it comes into the station. i was wondering where it does if so, and does it do it so fast. i have ridden where the audio wasnt their, not as good without music.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The audio system recharges with HUGE capacitors onboard the train.

When the train arrives at the station, it fully charges in the time it takes to load the train.

The capacitors are used because of their light weight and quick recharge times.

The Great Movie Ride uses the same system :)

Tom Morrow

So, if a train didn't stop in the station, the soundtrack wouldn't play, right? Also, where is most of the hardware located on the train? I'm guessing either in the "hood" or "trunk" of the "limo".

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by Tom Morrow
So, if a train didn't stop in the station, the soundtrack wouldn't play, right? Also, where is most of the hardware located on the train? I'm guessing either in the "hood" or "trunk" of the "limo".

I am not certain on specifics for the charging cycle, it may be possible to do several circuits without a recharge. The power is required for the playback system and amplification, and as it is capacitor based, it wouldnt have the capability to store it for very long. :)

Disney4648

Okay, I know that there is Music on RNRC but what am i hearing about this rechargeable stuff.....why does the music run off of electricity?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by Disney4648
why does the music run off of electricity?

LOL well unless you know of some other way that the rest of the world is missing, amplifiers and digital playback equipment requires electricity ;) :)

disney2b

Original Poster
if the train doesnt stay their long enough, sometimes its in and out very fast, they dont have enough power to start the music.

disney2b

Original Poster
ok i found the actual patent for the rockin roller coaster audio system. very very cool, it all makes sense, but you cant save they pictures, unless anyone finds a way to get them. the patent number is 5,564,984.

nothing on the power that i saw though

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by disney2b
if the train doesnt stay their long enough, sometimes its in and out very fast, they dont have enough power to start the music.

The train can charge itself in the minium load/unload time - so you wont get the situation where it doesnt have enough power. When the audio track fails its because of some other reason, which a reset of the audio playback system usual cures.

Disney King

I have ridden RnRC 23 times in a row where the train litterally only stops for 5 seconds at unload and then again at load. They did not lift the shoulder harnesses nor open the gates. We just rode nonstop (it was after hours and before a convention) Every single time we heard the music. That was annoying though since it was the same song over and over, but anyway. The music never cut out or anything. I think that either it charges super SUPER fast, or it does not need to recharge EVERY cycle. Maybe a charge can last 5-10 cycles and everytime it enters the sataion, it recharges as much as possible, even if it is a fraction of the total amount. All I know is that for 23 rides, I heard Sweeet Emotion over and over without any complications.

WiCKMaN

Originally posted by wdwmagic

The train can charge itself in the minium load/unload time - so you wont get the situation where it doesnt have enough power.
Does Space Mountain (Paris) make use of the same system?

mrgoofy

If the power system on the ride vehicles is indeed powered by capacitors, I can't imagine that it would be designed to require a full charge each time it ran. There is probably excess storage capacity in the power system so the they wouldn't need a 100% charge each time. Also capacitors charge VERY VERY quickly. If the system was designed properly it could definately go from empty to full in under a minute. Also, they could be charging the system after the load/unload station, when you are sitting and watching the traffic sign. This would definately give them enough time to charge the system.

isnet396

I can't quite remember what the name of the "recharging" system is, but its used in TGMR and UoE.... Anyone here have an electric toothbrush? I'm sure you people are wondering how come the toothbrush can be recharged without visible "elctrodes" (like on the ends of batteries). The power is literally transferred through the air, and in WDW attractions, it just happens to go a lot faster than your Sonicare or Oral-B..

Ian

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom