Riverside Question

pop lover

We have stayed at Pop Century a number of times and Caribban Beach once. This coming April we were thinking about doing two weeks at Riverside for a change of scenery. What are some pros and cons of this resort? Also what room would you pick between preferred or riverview? Finally what is there bus transportation yet?

Mr_Incredible

I am staying in September for the first time, but I have done significant research. From everything I've gathered the difference between water view and standard view are small.

Compared to pop....you have a pool with a water slide, access to POR sister resort POFQ, a boat to and from downtown disney which is nice, great beautiful scenery, covered bus stops, you can get the newly refurbished royal rooms, or fit 5 people in an alligator buoyu room (with murphy bed), a table service restuarant to go along with a food court, huge arcade, fishing hole, story telling at a bon fire, movies on the lawn (select dates), marina with boat rentals, surrey bike rentals, jogging trail, horse and carriage rentals....

so in summary, an amazing stay!!! I CAN'T WAIT. (can you tell?!?!)

Upvote 0

onesandzeros

Riverside has become my go to resort, for all the reasons listed by Mr_Incredible. I’d give
a double + to the food court, boat transportation to/from DTD, pools in Magnolia Bend and
the scenery. I’ve always stayed in a Std View and 90% of the time assigned a room in Magnolia Terrace.
It’s a short walk from this building to the East Depot to catch a bus. For March and December trips, I find this depot less crowded than the main platform located near the lobby. Many on this forum have enjoyed stays at this resort.

Hope you have a similar experience!!!!!!

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

I have to agree with @onesandzeros and @Mr_Incredible
We have stayed here countless times. Once we requested Alligator Bayou (my brother is a family of 5) and it was lovely, our rooms were very close to the bus stop. Typically when we stay here we book a standard room and are placed in the Mansion Section.

Love this resort! It is our top mod pick.

Upvote 0

dopeylover

Our favorite! As for where to stay, I'd prefer one of the mansions as opposed to the Alligator Bayou area. I like the theming better, and it's closer to the pools and main building. As for Standard or Water views, there's not much of a difference and I wouldn't pay extra for it. They do have the Royal Rooms though, and if you wanted to experience those the extra price may be worth it. We have a 2 yr. old, and when we go on 2013 we're staying in a Royal Room b/c she's becoming enamored w/ the Princesses. I also loved that you could take a boat to DD, a welcome change from the constant buses. My favorite food court as well. The restaurant is good, but a bit overpriced, I'd rather spend my WDW money elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Chrononymous

This is one of my favorites too.

The thing that always strikes me about staying here, is the immersion into the theme...and how QUIET everything is!
I mean, most resorts you hear people talking and kids screaming or laughing...but the trees have a remarkable way of making you feel relaxed, and isolated and not anywhere near a theme park.

I love Alligator Bayou for that very reason.

And also...one of my favorite places in all of WDW is the food court, and not just for the food. I find the water wheel to be a peaceful and wonderful place to just start the morning...or relax in the afternoon.

The pool is pretty awesome too. We always see interesting wildlife in that area, and around this resort as well.

If there is a con, I would have to say that the buses can take a while to get around the whole resort, and occasionally they can be crowded...but that's true everywhere I suppose.

Upvote 0

draybook

Does anyone know where to find a current schedule for what movies will be playing and when at PO resort?

Nvm, just saw it on the PO website. Guess I'll find out Septembers schedule next month.

Upvote 0

pop lover

Original Poster
Our favorite! As for where to stay, I'd prefer one of the mansions as opposed to the Alligator Bayou area. I like the theming better, and it's closer to the pools and main building. As for Standard or Water views, there's not much of a difference and I wouldn't pay extra for it. They do have the Royal Rooms though, and if you wanted to experience those the extra price may be worth it. We have a 2 yr. old, and when we go on 2013 we're staying in a Royal Room b/c she's becoming enamored w/ the Princesses. I also loved that you could take a boat to DD, a welcome change from the constant buses. My favorite food court as well. The restaurant is good, but a bit overpriced, I'd rather spend my WDW money elsewhere.

What is the difference between the mansions and the Alligator Bayou area buildings? Would the mansions be located buildings80-95?

Upvote 0

dopeylover

Yes, the Mansion buildings are 80, 85, 90, and 95. 90 and 95 are where the Royal Guestrooms are located. Alligator Bayou is a nice area as well, but the theming is a little more rustic and kind of like woodsy Southern, whereas the Mansions are more stately and a bit fancier. I guess it depends on what theming you're looking for as to which you'd like best! portorleans.org is a website dedicated to the Resort, and has a ton of pictures and info.!

Upvote 0

pop lover

Original Poster

Also wondering how far of a walk would it be from building 90 or 95 to the main pool?

Upvote 0

pop lover

Original Poster
Yes, the Mansion buildings are 80, 85, 90, and 95. 90 and 95 are where the Royal Guestrooms are located. Alligator Bayou is a nice area as well, but the theming is a little more rustic and kind of like woodsy Southern, whereas the Mansions are more stately and a bit fancier. I guess it depends on what theming you're looking for as to which you'd like best! portorleans.org is a website dedicated to the Resort, and has a ton of pictures and info.!

Are all the building in each section only 2 stories?

Upvote 0

MarkTwain

BEAUTIFUL resort. We generally only stay at deluxe/DVC but I would stay at Riverside in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up. Great atmosphere, variety of room themes, and a very relaxing, escapist feel that would be great after a long day at WDW. Boat transit to Downtown Disney is also nice. The one downside might be the somewhat lacking variety of food options, but that can be amended with a quick boat ride to French Quarter (one of the better food courts on property) or the previously mentioned Downtown Disney.

Upvote 0

acishere

Pros:
-Theming
-Quiet
-Lots of quiet pools
-Perfect place to hang out at night and listen to the wildlife
-Cool quick service area
-Boat to Downtown

Cons:
-Its very spread out, but it is a beautiful walk
-The bus service, but we were the last stop so that is why it bothered us

The Alligator Bayou rooms are more removed, but having the view of the woods made everything seem much quieter. Its like you are in a completely different place. Plus the walk was surprisingly pleasant getting to listen to the frogs and crickets.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom