River Country Photos

UberMouse

Wow! I only went there once, and I must have been really young because I can just barely remember anything of RC. What year did it open? What year did it shut down?

-Jeff

UberMouse

From wiki..
It opened on June 20, 1976 and ceased operations on November 1, 2001.

It must have been around 1989-1992 or so that I went iirc.

MyNameisStitch

Original Poster
Wow! I only went there once, and I must have been really young because I can just barely remember anything of RC. What year did it open? What year did it shut down?

-Jeff

Opened in 1976 and closed in 2001. Its been sitting and rotting since.

I know this has been discussed before but it just seems very un-Disney to let something this big just sit there without being demolished. I mean sure there are things like Wonders of Life but at least they still use the pavilion sometimes.

MrX8991

Wow, that's pretty depressing. I feel bad for never going to River Country despite having multiple opportunities to do so.

MyNameisStitch

Original Poster
Wow, that's pretty depressing. I feel bad for never going to River Country despite having multiple opportunities to do so.

I never had the opportunity, but I wish I could of. I've seen multiple videos and tons of pictures. It looked like so much fun.

trr1

Found this site with tons of pictures inside River Country taken November 2009. Warning - Very Depressing :(

http://trickfist.com/unique-scoop/abandoned-water-park-at-walt-disney-world.html

I did a quick search and couldn't find this page posted before. My apologies if it has and I missed it.
those pictures are also here
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=558223&highlight=river+country
and here
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=563974&highlight=river+country

btriple

I remember hanging out there a few times, it was fun. It now looks like something out of a Jason, friday the 13th movie.

MyNameisStitch

Original Poster

MyNameisStitch

Original Poster
If the moderators visit, I apologize that I reposted pictures that were apparently old news. I haven't visited the forums in a long time and when I saw these pics I thought I would rejoin the conversations. I did do a search and didn't see them posted before. I have been a member for almost 6 years and almost forgot that unless you check every single thread you really shouldn't post anything because it has possibly already been shared.

Steve, I've been a supporter of WDWMagic for a long time. I always turn to it for the latest news at Walt Disney World and whenever somebody asks me for sites with tons of information you're always first on the list. But I miss the old days in the forums when we could talk without being shot down by the self proclaimed Forum Police.

Please feel free to close this topic, its old news.

rkelly42

Actually I was not telling you to stop the thread or stop talking about it, I was just letting you know that there were other posts on this topic that you could find out more about it. I could care less if a topic is revisited. I appologize if it came off like I was trying to shoot your topic down.

gettingsmaller

Okay... pretty off-topic sorta...

These pictures remind me of pictures of Pripyat. It's a Russian town that had to be abandoned because of Chernobyl. In both cases (River Country and Pripyat), it's so surreal. It's like the real version of that show "After People", or whatever, where they project what would happen to a place if people just disappeared all of a sudden.
If you like creepy pictures of abandoned pools, classrooms, etc., do a google search for Pripyat...

Okay... pretty off-topic sorta...

These pictures remind me of pictures of Pripyat. It's a Russian town that had to be abandoned because of Chernobyl. In both cases (River Country and Pripyat), it's so surreal. It's like the real version of that show "After People", or whatever, where they project what would happen to a place if people just disappeared all of a sudden.
If you like creepy pictures of abandoned pools, classrooms, etc., do a google search for Pripyat...

I think I've seen that - I'm sure the pool is the same pool in Call of Duty 4.

WorldKey

Wow - thanks for the post....makes me contemplate my own mortality! We visited RC a couple of times in the very early 80's as a late teen. As I look at those pictures I vividly remember having a great time on those slides, swings, and in the pool. Even though it was open for some time after that, it looks like it has been abandoned for decades. Amazing how fast nature can take over an area. :( Disney should be credited for designing the precurser to most modern water parks.

Walt Disney1955

I honestly wish they would re-open it with a grad refurbishment. It's another "gate" if you want to call it that or at least another waterpark that can spread the crowds out or attract new ones. The point of Disney I always thought was to constantly find ways to get better than everywhere else. This is what they need to do with it. River Country was not a bad park if you listen to people that went to it. It would almost be something new to people

Courtney1188

LOL, they linked to my topic as well. Oh well, Sorry to waste your time. Now I remember why I stopped visiting this board.

You don't have to stop visiting the board...just wanted to let you know there were already quite a few discussions on it, so you can pitch in on those threads and respond to some posts you never would of seen if no one had told you about the other threads :shrug:

Ziffell

Thanks y'all, i'm glad to hear that those pics are already posted. Sorry I didn't spend the time scouring the forum for those exact pictures before sharing. Quick, go let this person know somebody has already posted them
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=569225

Oh wait, somebody already has...
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4051833&postcount=5

LOL, they linked to my topic as well. Oh well, Sorry to waste your time. Now I remember why I stopped visiting this board.

:sohappy: Great response!! I hate it when people get all bent out of shape just because someone posts a topic that...gasp... has been posted before! :lol: Don't let those people bother you at all! Not everyone is going to think to do a search on this, and I think lot's of people appreciate seeing the pictures!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom