Retaurant that never was

Keyblader Ax

Original Poster
I have this book of Disney trivia (can't remember the name) but it mentioned something called "David Copperfield's magic underground" or something like that, and it was coming to the studios. why does this not exist? can someone clear this up for me? thanks:)

Blaine Gibson

I also remeber The same restaurant was supposed to open In Times Square in NYC but it never opened either. It was never opened due to Financial Reasons. I'm not sure about the MGM version.

Jungle Skipper

Hey I remember that too, I thought I was just crazy but I remember lots of talk about this and even leaving MGM one year and seeing sinage saying "Coming Soon David Copperfields...."

I only remember this because I was going through a magic phase where I wanted nothing more than to be a magician. :) I even saw David Copperfield live that year too. Hmm..I wonder what ever did happen to that...anyone?

Lee

Adventurer
Yeah, there was a big sign outside the Studios announcing that it was coming. It would have been cool, sort of a Planet Hollywood of magic.
If I remember correctly, Copperfield's financial plan fell apart. The money never materialized.:lookaroun

Punkss

They may have pulled the idea after the troubles that Planet Hollywood got into a while back, and also Fashion Cafe which closed after losses.

wdwhoneymooner

Running any type of food establishment is extrememly difficult. Normally, the margins realized in the dishes/entrees is not what the owners are banking to help make any significant profits. It's the revenue generated by beverages (especially liquor) that truly helps the bottom line.

cherrynegra

Speaking of the restaurant that never was, does anyone know how long Planet Hollywood is going to be around? I was very surprised to still see it there on my last trip as I thought they had gone bankrupt and had closed all their locations.

agdbeanie

Originally posted by cherrynegra
Speaking of the restaurant that never was, does anyone know how long Planet Hollywood is going to be around? I was very surprised to still see it there on my last trip as I thought they had gone bankrupt and had closed all their locations.

They did close most of the PH's, but the one at Disney was the biggest and most popular in the world. I think it's one of the few still open. Actually, you find the limited locations here:
http://www.planethollywood.com/res_loc.shtm

celestia

when we went a few years ago, our guidebook talked about it, even giving reviews on the food!

So we called to make reservations, and the castmembers had no idea what we were talking about.

boy were we surprised! :confused:

maelstrom

I remember the coming soon sign for Copperfield's. Then all of a sudden it was replaced with the coming soon sign for ToT and Copperfield's was never heard of again. I have a picture of the ToT sign, but unfortunately not of the Copperfield's sign. What was my mother thinking when she did that?!

Punkss

The Planet Hollywood in London's Leicester Square is still open! So i assume others are too, i seem to remember seeing the Paris one is still going when i went there i *think* i saw it!

JBSLJames

Originally posted by Lee
Montgomery Inn is OK, but they need to stop saying that they have the world's best ribs.:fork:

I did't know the 'Darkside of Hollywood' had a Montgomery Inn. I have to admit, they are my favorite, but there is a place down in Naples/Marco Island area called MichaelBobs that has some pretty tasty pig.

Lee

Adventurer
Waaayyyy off topic:
I left the dark side of Hollywood to visit good friends in Cincy, and was astonished to see that Montgomery Inn claimed to have the best ribs.
As far as I can tell, the world of ribs begins and ends in Memphis at the Rendezvous. Period.

Now turkey legs....that's a different story.

Originally posted by maelstrom
I remember the coming soon sign for Copperfield's. Then all of a sudden it was replaced with the coming soon sign for ToT and Copperfield's was never heard of again. I have a picture of the ToT sign, but unfortunately not of the Copperfield's sign. What was my mother thinking when she did that?!

Tower of Terror had already been open for several years before they advertised the Copperfield restaruant. It was going to go on the right side of the entrance (where the sign was) and was going to be accessible from the park and outside the park (Like Rainforest at DAK). There was also supposed to be a Copperfield store at Downtown Disney. I remember seeing the signs covering the windows of the shop right next to AMC on the PI side. The name of the store escapes me right now but I remember the signs for Copperfield being taken down around the time Star Wars Episode I came out. The store was selling Star Wars items and the Copperfield plan was scrapped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom