Restaurant to replace Alfredos confirmed by company today at 3:35 PM

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
From The Hub:

Exciting new changes are coming to the Italy Pavilion at Epcot® that will further enhance the Guest experience.

Our contract with L’Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante will reach its conclusion on August 31, 2007. While we have enjoyed working with the Alfredo’s Group since Epcot opened,
we are finalizing plans to develop a new Italian restaurant concept.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has selected the Patina Restaurant Group to be the new operating participant for the restaurant at the Italy Pavilion at Epcot ®.

The Patina Restaurant Group will be running the operation beginning September 1, 2007 and a new restaurant concept is scheduled to open Fall 2008.

The Patina Restaurant Group was also one of the original operating participants at the Downtown Disney® District at the Disneyland® Resort in Anaheim, starting in 2001.

We’re very excited to have a strong strategic partner like the Patina Restaurant Group bring its world-class cuisine to the Italy Pavilion.

Click on the Advisory link on the left, then click on the Digital Asset link to view the FAQs.

I know this was mentioned by a new member, but we now have an official announcement and dates. :D

Q1. Why are you making this change?

We’re constantly looking to create new and exciting reasons to enhance the Guest experience.

Q2. What will the last day of operations be for Alfredo's?

Alfredo’s is currently scheduled to close at the end of August 2007.

Q3. Who is the Patina Restaurant Group?

The Patina Restaurant Group was one of the original operating participants at the Downtown Disney® District at the Disneyland® Resort in Anaheim. The Group has operated Naples Restaurant at Disneyland® Resort since 2001. Master Chef Joachim Splichal of the Patina Restaurant Group will be bringing his world-class cuisine to the Italy Pavilion at Epcot®.

Q4. Will there be an Italian chef running the restaurant?

Yes, there will be an authentic Italian chef to run the daily operations.

Q5. Is this a new restaurant concept?

Yes, when it launches in Fall 2008, the Patina Restaurant Group will introduce a new restaurant featuring world-class cuisine to the Italy Pavilion at Epcot®. It will include signature dishes, interactive experience, and a variety of wines.

Q6. When would it open?

Patina Restaurant Group will begin operation September 1, 2007. Their flagship restaurant will open Fall 2008.

Q7. What restaurant will be at that location in the interim?

The Patina Restaurant Group will showcase similar Italian fare from some of its premiere Italian restaurants.

Q8. Will this new restaurant be a part of the meal plan?

Yes. They will participate in the Magic Your way dining plan options consistent with their participation at the Disneyland® Resort.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
FYI: posting info from The Hub (formerly Cast Portal) could get you in trouble!:wave:
Not if it's information meant to be shared with a guest:wave: The notice of confidentiality deals with materials that are confidential or privileged, this is neither.

askmike1

This is a bit confusing to me. Is the new restuarant going to be opening in September of 2007 or Fall of 2008? If the latter, why is it going to take a year for the new restaurant? And will the "classic Italy" theme still exist?

CMTinkerbell99

cool!

The Patina Restaurant Group was also one of the original operating participants at the Downtown Disney® District at the Disneyland® Resort in Anaheim, starting in 2001.

We ate at their restaurant when we were in DL in 05. It was one of our favorite meals. My DH and I discussed that this company might be an option for Italy.

amejr999

This seems a little weird to me. Isn't it unusual for an outside company to be running a restaurant inside a theme park? The only ones I can think of are at Downtown Disney.

sweetale

This is a bit confusing to me. Is the new restuarant going to be opening in September of 2007 or Fall of 2008? If the latter, why is it going to take a year for the new restaurant? And will the "classic Italy" theme still exist?

This is how I read it: once Alfredos/Disney partnership ends in August the restaurant will remain open and operating (with the same decorations/seating) but perhaps the menu and definitely the ownership will change. In 2008 they will have revamped the look/experience of the restaurant to a new "theme". That's just how I interpreted that! :wave:
~Amy

CTXRover

This seems a little weird to me. Isn't it unusual for an outside company to be running a restaurant inside a theme park? The only ones I can think of are at Downtown Disney.

Many of Epcot's World Showcase restaurants are in fact run by outside companies, and have been so since Epcot opened in 1982.. Alfredo's, which is an outside company as well, has been with Epcot since it opened. Outside restaurants at Disney, or Disney theme parks in general, is not anything new.

CTXRover

I wasn't that impressed with Alfredo's so this should be an interesting change.

I ate there several years ago and was not impressed either and haven't been back. Our meal was cold and overall I wasn't impressed with the selection. I did love Naples at Disneyland DTD though, so I'm very excited for this change.

darthjohnny

So, the restaurant will stil be open in 2007 and just have a new concept by 2008? Why an entire year for the new restaurant?

I hope this new restaurant is good. I once went to the restaurant they own in Disneyland's Downtown Disney, and it was rather expensive. But the quick serve area wasn't bad.

frozenbanana

JOACHIM SPLICHEL!!!??? That doesnt sound Italian

German born, French trained! Disney has missed the mark again it would sound. Naples is considered in all professional restaurant reviews as typical Italian American cuisine not worthy of visiting. Search outside Disney sites and you will see. Panevino in Jersey is absolutely horrible, been there and my friends walked out after eating 3 bites and paying the check. Splichel should stay out of it, hire an Italian to develop and run, not a french/german/american/chef, whatever he does.

Disney said it right when they are a "Strategic Partner", Compass PLC is the real force behind it all. They can move the Disney brand globally.

Well, Alfredos tried to give more authentic cuisine, but thats not what is needed. Fast food and larger volumes served for the Disney Dining Plan is what we will get. And that my friends is not Italian.

How about Giada De Laurentis, at least she has Italian roots.

MickeyTigg

We ate at Naples when we went to Disneyland in June 2005 and really liked the food there. I think that this is a good match.

TP2000

This is very good news for Epcot. Joachim Splichal already runs several restaurants at Disneyland's Downtown Disney in Anaheim; Naples Ristorante, Catal, Uva Bar.

Joachim Splichal and his Patina Group also own and operate some of the best and trendiest restaurants in SoCal under several different names, mostly in west Los Angeles with five restaurants in OC as well. He has also branched out of SoCal and has a small empire in New York now too, although his home base is still Los Angeles. The Patina restaurant in the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA is fantastic. http://www.patinagroup.com

Be advised however, that Patina specializes in rather upscale, expensive restaurants in SoCal. I had dinner recently at Patina for a special night at Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Patina prices were; Appetizers in the 20 to 25 dollar range, main courses in the 40 to 50 dollar range, deserts in the 15 dollar range, cocktails at 12 to 18 dollars, four course prix fixe menus at 90 dollars without wine, or six course prix fixe menus at 120 dollars without wine, etc. Naples Pizzeria isn't nearly that expensive though, and Catal is just a bit under those West LA prices, so his Disneyland restaurants aren't up in the stratospheric downtown LA prices. But it could be a bit of a shock to tourists in WDW who are used to "expensive" meals back in Ohio that cost 30 bucks.

Clearly this will also mean a dramatic remodeling of the interior of the Epcot restaurant. All of the other Patina Group restaurants are decorated very chic and oftentimes very sleek and modern. If I remember the Italy pavilion restaurant correctly, it was still looking like a themed restaurant from the 1980's the last time I saw it. Joachim Splichal always has very stylish digs, so expect a major remodel for this Epcot restaurant. Hey Epcot, welcome to the 21st century!

WDW picked a good one by taking a tip from Disneyland and including celebrity chef Joachim Splichal in their parks.

kcnole

It sounds like Alfredo's will close down in August. The building will probably go into a refurb mode, new staff will have to be trained, menus designed, etc... It sounds like the restaurant will be closed from September to some time in early 08.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom