Restaurant based on 'Forrest Gump' to open in CityWalk

speck76

Original Poster
Restaurant based on 'Forrest Gump' to open in CityWalk

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted August 24, 2005

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. will become the newest restaurant in Universal Orlando's CityWalk early next year, replacing the recently closed Decades Cafe Arcade.

The 12,000-square-foot seafood restaurant, capitalizing on the 1994 hit movie Forrest Gump, will be the restaurant chain's third Florida location. The arcade closed its doors in June.

"If you look at Universal CityWalk, it's a collection of some of the best known and most exciting entertainment experiences in the country," said Universal spokesman Tom Schroder. "We closed the arcade to make way for what we believe is going to be a great new concept."

The Shrimp Co. will join eight other restaurants at CityWalk, Universal's 30-acre nightlife complex, including NASCAR Cafe, Latin Quarter and Emeril's.

It will feature menu items with movie-themed names such as Bucket of Boat Trash (fried shrimp, lobster and white fish), the Director's Cut Rib-Eye (a 14-ounce bone-on chop), and Jenny's Strawberry Dream (shortcake).

The restaurant chain began in Monterey, Calif., in 1996 and now has 17 locations in nine states -- including in New York's Time Square and Daytona Beach's Ocean Walk -- as well as Japan and the Philippines.

The Orlando restaurant is scheduled to open next spring near the entrance to CityWalk, across from the 20-screen movie theater.

Beth Kassab can be reached at bkassab@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5448.

maelstrom

There's one of these on Pier 39 in San Francisco. It's pretty cool. There are two license plates on the table; one says "Stop Forrest Stop" and one says "Run Forrest Run". Obviously to get the attention of your server if need be. There's also some memorabilia and the movie is playing constantly. Pretty cool place.

Steve-B

Good food, fun experience

My family ate at Bubba Gump's in New Orleans a few years ago, and I have nothing but good things to say about the place. If I remember right, the servers had a Forrest Gump trivia contest going the entire time we were in the restaurant.

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
and yet the "Jenny" remains moored off of Planet Hollywood. something good neede to take the place of the Motown Cafe. I hope this is it. :)

NemoRocks78

Seized
Julius & Boobah said:
Does anyone eat at the Nascar cafe? It always seems empty to me.
It's definitely not as busy as it used to be (last time I was there it was a Friday night and we got seated immeadiately), but I still think it's an extremely underrated restaurant, as they have some great food there.

NemoRocks78

Seized
It opened on Saturday. :) Ate lunch there today....had fried shrimp which was REALLY good. The service was excellent too, we recieved our food quickly and had people other than our waitress asking how the food was. It was also cool how they ask Forrest Gump trivia questions (I couldn't remember what his girlfriend's name was for the longest time :lol: ).

Give it a try. :cool:

JROK

Good to know! I was going to eat there this weekend but wasn't sure if it was opened yet and didn't want to park in CityWalk, find out it was still closed and then have to eat somewhere else on property because I was too lazy to walk back to my car... Long story short, I ate at Friday's across the street...

meryll83

That sounds cool,
stupid question maybe, but they do other stuff apart from shrimp?
I'm not really a fan of shrimp be it barbecued, boiled, broiled, baked, sauted, shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, panfried, deep fried, stir fried, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... that's, that's about it(!), but I'd love to visit the restaurant!

Can anyone tell me what else they have on offer?

meryll83

I just found it actually, but thank you.
There does sound to be so other scrummy things, so I should be able to pay a visit!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom