Resort-wide facial tracking in development

Rider

Original Poster
Saw this today: http://themeparkuniversity.com/univ...dos-secret-face-recognition-program-revealed/

Front entrance attendants will be manned with iPads with a live video feed of people approaching the entry area. If the guest has a valid theme park ticket on file and their selfie is in the system, a green dot will appear over their head. If they do not have a photo on file, the attendant will stop them and ask if they can take a quick picture of them so they have it on file and link it to their pass/account. Once done, they are free to go about their day and they won’t have to do it again. More on that later.

Let’s say that the guest approaching the front entrance Team Member hasn’t bought a ticket in advance? (Gasp!) Not to worry. Those handy iPads will double as a point of sale device complete with credit card swipe. You simply ask how many days they will be visiting, what kind of ticket they would like to purchase, take that selfie and poof.. they are good to go. A receipt can be printed nearby or emailed to them. There will also be stations nearby where customers can pay by cash (which is a very small percentage of a major purchase like a theme park ticket these days).

Now let’s say that some crafty whipper snapper manages to sneak by the front entrance Team Members without a valid park ticket or selfie in the system. Not only will these cameras be covering the front entrance, but nearly the entire park. Meaning that there will be a few Team Members just beyond the main entrance to catch those few stragglers who manage to skedaddle by.

Taking it further, maybe that someone manages to get by everyone in the front entrance area and manages to get to the back of the park. Security will also be using this system to monitor who is in the park and where. If any of these eyes in the sky cameras manage to see someone who it doesn’t recognize anywhere beyond the main entrance, it can alert security to dispatch someone to approach the individual and verify they have park tickets. On a similar note, remember that article we recently posted about how theme park stop guests who have been trespassed from the property from entering? Once implemented, this will be Universal Orlando’s new way to prevent those who aren’t allowed on property from entering… or at least getting very far.

JoeCamel

Saw this today: http://themeparkuniversity.com/univ...dos-secret-face-recognition-program-revealed/

Front entrance attendants will be manned with iPads with a live video feed of people approaching the entry area. If the guest has a valid theme park ticket on file and their selfie is in the system, a green dot will appear over their head. If they do not have a photo on file, the attendant will stop them and ask if they can take a quick picture of them so they have it on file and link it to their pass/account. Once done, they are free to go about their day and they won’t have to do it again. More on that later.

Let’s say that the guest approaching the front entrance Team Member hasn’t bought a ticket in advance? (Gasp!) Not to worry. Those handy iPads will double as a point of sale device complete with credit card swipe. You simply ask how many days they will be visiting, what kind of ticket they would like to purchase, take that selfie and poof.. they are good to go. A receipt can be printed nearby or emailed to them. There will also be stations nearby where customers can pay by cash (which is a very small percentage of a major purchase like a theme park ticket these days).

Now let’s say that some crafty whipper snapper manages to sneak by the front entrance Team Members without a valid park ticket or selfie in the system. Not only will these cameras be covering the front entrance, but nearly the entire park. Meaning that there will be a few Team Members just beyond the main entrance to catch those few stragglers who manage to skedaddle by.

Taking it further, maybe that someone manages to get by everyone in the front entrance area and manages to get to the back of the park. Security will also be using this system to monitor who is in the park and where. If any of these eyes in the sky cameras manage to see someone who it doesn’t recognize anywhere beyond the main entrance, it can alert security to dispatch someone to approach the individual and verify they have park tickets. On a similar note, remember that article we recently posted about how theme park stop guests who have been trespassed from the property from entering? Once implemented, this will be Universal Orlando’s new way to prevent those who aren’t allowed on property from entering… or at least getting very far.

And they said MM+ was expensive.........

Timekeeper

Hmmm... Questions:

Are turnstile-jumpers such a big problem at UO that the cost of tracking them down inside of the park is worthwhile? Aside from more serious things like safety issues or the drugs and alcohol (for minors) that tend to be more common at special events (e.g. guests can bring in their own beverages through security during the day but not later in the afternoon as HHN admission approaches), theme parks typically don’t want to engage in aggressive law enforcement-type tactics, especially inside of the parks. It’s too much of a liability issue if the employee has a concern - confronts the guest - and the employee turns out to be wrong (and the encounter goes south). One example of this is the rampant shoplifting at parks and the obvious lack of seeing guests get tackled to the ground on Mainstreet USA.

So, the UO hotel cameras will see me leave the hotel room, and come back at the end of the day, but realize that I never entered any of the other facilities on property? They will know that I “cheated” on them (and maybe went to WDW). Then when I get back to my UO hotel room and turn on the TV, a personalized message from E.T. will ask me, “Where did you go today Dave? We noticed that you didn’t enjoy our parks today. Why didn’t you want to spend your time with us today Dave?”

Or, say I take Sarah to meet Spidey for a photo op. Spidey says to me, “Hey Dave, good to see you again. It was great meeting you and Brenda last week.” And then Sarah turns to me and says, “Who is Brenda?” Oh the tangled webs we weave.

No thanks, HAL. No thanks.

trr1

they were starting to test this when I was there at the end of june

Timekeeper

Whether or not big brother is actively working with local themed entertainment, big’s access to any of the information gathered (just like our banking, travel, medical, internet, communications, etc.) is merely a simple subpoena away.

Gringrinngghost

Time to debunk some information here.

Are turnstile-jumpers such a big problem at UO that the cost of tracking them down inside of the park is worthwhile?
In a way there have been issues in the past with these ticketing places on 192 and such using one ticket to bring 6+ people into the the parks. The ticking places are really cleaver and have contacts at the fronts of parks at the turnstile usually. The facial recognition is going to be one of the new ways to stop those from bringing people in on one ticket.

So, the UO hotel cameras will see me leave the hotel room, and come back at the end of the day, but realize that I never entered any of the other facilities on property?

No. That's not what it's designed for. In more specifically on your comments about if you we're to have gone to WDW. Universal actually advertises a paid shuttle to WDW. They understand that people are likely to go to WDW.

I don't like any of this because it will go straight to the NSA. In fact they may be helping Universal pay for it.

Why does it need to go to the NSA, they already have access to the driver licenses ID databases. All the data will be staying on the property's servers and will automatically be purged after a set time frame. It sounds like also you don't like having your finger print (something your employer already has most likely and have sent to the Feds to check your criminal record) anyway.

Lastly, the article writer has an idea about what he's talking about but is way to paranoid. The system is designed to verify that it's you using the ticket and express pass and this system has been in use for YEARS at Universal Studios Japan. Universal Studios Japan®’s access control system employs NEC’s face recognition engine “NeoFace”. It can handle all the necessary face recognition processes, from detection to matching in one go. NeoFace detects “the eye-position” from the photograph and uses NEC’s unique GLVQ algorithm to define the face area.

disneygeek90

Doesn't Disney take your finger print when you enter and when you arrive for FastPasses?
Only when you enter. You just scan for fastpasses, no finger recognition.

This all seems super weird. How are they not catching "line jumpers" at the turnstiles?

Gringrinngghost

I have never been finger printed and won't unless there is no other way.

The NSA stuff isn't simply having your picture it's a matter of who you are with, where you are, the date etc. etc. They build a profile on you and add over time anything that you're involved with, with the purpose of tracking you loosely in case needed. First problem with that is the political guys can get that info they will try to use it against you some how. You see the non sense going on in the news about Russians and Hillary doing this and that, Trump doing this and that and then it's all extended out to their circle of friends? They're heavy weights they can play that game. Some guy running for the house can't play that game. Same with if you annoy someone in political position he/she may use that info to try and terrorize you. What if your ex wife decides she will ruin you forever? NSA has already had problems with info being used for stalking.

It goes on and on. There is no useful thing about to much info about you hanging around. I just don't like the idea of to much info hanging around about me and everyone I may know. What if I have to make a quick exit? To late if it just takes a few minutes to have a large profile of me. Some would say that's good for society but not if someone in government wants to play hard ball to take out his reviles or whoever else he feels like.

Never the less I don't trust the government all that much. They like sheep. Problem is so do the wolves.

I'll go put my tin foil hat on now.
My best advice then is to stay off the internet and social media and cellphones entirely then. The amount of information you can get from just a few sentences on social media the very least is astounding. Secondly, they could just have your carrier ping and get a triangulated location, that is if they aren't using stingrays. StingRays are a IMSI-catcher, which is called an International Mobile Subscriber Identity-catcher is used for intercepting mobile phone traffic and tracking location data of mobile phone users. Essentially a "fake" mobile tower acting between the target mobile phone and the service provider's real towers. The IMSI is on your sim card. So there are much easier ways to track someone and they can easily get a profile on you. So what information aren't you not already providing is the real question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom