Reservations open for Wild Africa Trek Adventures

FutureWorld1982

Original Poster
From the Disney parks Blog: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...nce-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-coming-in-2011/
It says that it will feature the following:

• Trekking with experienced guides through areas of Harambe Wildlife Reserve that aren’t explored during regular Disney’s Animal Kingdom experiences.
  • Navigating through fern and vine forests on a bushwalk.
  • Clipping into a harness attached to a safety line, crossing a rope bridge over the Safi River and cliff-hanging at the edge of gullies that are home to hippos and crocodiles.
  • Experiencing the thrill of “over-landing” in customized open-air vehicles following the edge of a wide-open savanna.
  • Unwinding from an unforgettable adventure at a private safari camp for wildlife viewing. At this station elevated above the savanna, guests will savor sample tastes of Africa.

But it will be also pretty expansive:

prices starting at $129 + park admission.

MickeyPeace

Yes!

This is exactly the kind of adventure I would do! I will definately sign up for this on my visit next year. Still sounds kind of vague though. Is there ziplining or is that just a safety harness for walking over the bridge?

I'm excited for Animal Kingdom. Please keep adding new adventures.

Pioneer Hall

So for a family of 4 buying 1-day park tickets this would cost close to $900.

I honestly don't think that the price point is all that bad considering the experience you are likely to have. I predicted it would be somewhere in the 150-200 range.

I also don't think that the average family of four is what they are aiming at with this experience. Of course Disney advertises and profits nicely from their tours, but they aren't created for everyone. They are really for targeted groups of people and not the budget conscious regular park visitor.

dreamfinder

Awww. I was hoping for some new photoshop pictures. : ( I did notice the say price will adjust seasonally. I don't think any other tours do this. I wonder if it they will all be going that way soon.

Pioneer Hall

Awww. I was hoping for some new photoshop pictures. : ( I did notice the say price will adjust seasonally. I don't think any other tours do this. I wonder if it they will all be going that way soon.

I noticed that as well...I wonder if the warmer months would have them lower the price since the animals are more reclusive during that time.

I'm on hold now waiting to book since my trip falls out the first week it is offered.

scott7302

yay I have booked this now for the 2nd February 2011...

The only time that came up was 8AM, thats gonna hurt lol... ah well, will have to have early night day before...

One thing I found odd was the minimum weight, they said it was min 122 pounds, thats about 8 stone, thats gonna catch a lot of people out I think.

So where do you have to meet the staff for the start of the tour? Is it at the Main Entrance?

Thanks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
yay I have booked this now for the 2nd February 2011...

The only time that came up was 8AM, thats gonna hurt lol... ah well, will have to have early night day before...

One thing I found odd was the minimum weight, they said it was min 122 pounds, thats about 8 stone, thats gonna catch a lot of people out I think.

So where do you have to meet the staff for the start of the tour? Is it at the Main Entrance?

Thanks

Minimum weight is interesting. If it is indeed 122 that would rule my wife out right away.

I believe the meet point is near Tusker House, but that was early on in the planning stages. I believe they still have a fair bit of work to do to get this up and running.

Pioneer Hall

Minimum weight is interesting. If it is indeed 122 that would rule my wife out right away.

I believe the meet point is near Tusker House, but that was early on in the planning stages. I believe they still have a fair bit of work to do to get this up and running.

For some reason I feel that I was told 60 pounds when I was on the phone. Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention because no one in my group is ever near those limits.

Other things I was told...

-Closed toe shoes are required, and hiking boots are preferred

-Pants or shorts are both ok, skirts and dresses are not advised

-Told to wear a comfortable shirt

-You must be on time, you will not be able to meet the group once the tour has begun

-Any bags must have a back strap component (like a back pack)

-No cameras, cell phones, etc (dissapointing but expected)-lockers are provided for these items

-The usual food allergy question was asked as well

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
No Cameras?!? I guess they are trying to make sure that people aren't dropping their $2000 Nikon onto the head of a hippo or something, but I think that may have killed my interest right there. I'd like to be able to take some pictures of some of these up close and personal encounters...

Pioneer Hall

No Cameras?!? I guess they are trying to make sure that people aren't dropping their $2000 Nikon onto the head of a hippo or something, but I think that may have killed my interest right there. I'd like to be able to take some pictures of some of these up close and personal encounters...

I agree. I suppose I understand the rationale, but it is still somewhat disappointing that you won't be able to use them at all.

RSoxNo1

Yeah, no cameras is tough. What's confusing is the introductory offer - does that imply the price is going to increase or decrease after the initial period?

I know the other tours have significant discounts for Disney Visa and Annual Passholders - do we know if that's available yet?

jimmy5575

Yeah, no cameras is tough. What's confusing is the introductory offer - does that imply the price is going to increase or decrease after the initial period?

I know the other tours have significant discounts for Disney Visa and Annual Passholders - do we know if that's available yet?

Just booked mine for early Feb. I was given tour times available hourly from 8 AM through 2 PM with the exception of 11AM. (Don't know if that was from my date or every day).

The met location was described to me as a podium near the Dawa Bar.

I was told that as of now there are no available discounts. (Disney Visa, AP or DVC).

DABIGCHEEZ

Of course no cameras... but I am sure a Photopass photog will be on hand!!!

We called last night to see what the prices would be for June... $189. We would love to do this but our kids are only 7 and 5. We'll just have to wait a few years.

PhilharMagician

$129 doesn't sound that bad for the tour. I was hoping that it was going to open by December as was mentioned when the info was originally released. Now $189 for June is getting high for a family. Hopefully there will be some discounts lik AP or DVC for the future.

jt04

If reviews for this are positive I will definitely try it. I thought they might provide loaner clothing so people also "look the part". That would be clever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom